Polaris Sportsman or Kingquad

sledman22

Reaction score
I'm looking at either a sportsman 800 or a kingquad 700. They are both 07's. They both want similar price and have almost the same amount of miles. Are they both as reliable or how do they compare?

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
Kingcouch all the way. the 700's had a slow drain on the battery though. If you let it sit for a month, disconnect the battery. Good machine. Also a steering damper, not the tube type makes it a different machine in the bumps.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both will overheat. have to keep rads clean no matter what you ride, I would say go for the sportsman the 4x4 system is better then the king guad. Both are good machines, personally i say test ride both and see witch one suits you more.

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
Both will overheat. have to keep rads clean no matter what you ride, I would say go for the sportsman the 4x4 system is better then the king guad. Both are good machines, personally i say test ride both and see witch one suits you more.

dont know much about popo's 4x4, but suzuki's have 4x4, and diff lock.
i've never overheated and i bury my KQ everytime.

2 RIDGEBACKS

Reaction score
King quad all the way,4x4 on polaris is a pos,wiring on polaris is a pos they are agricultural compared to king.But buy polaris if you like wrenching lots

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another +1 for the KQ. and the overheating has never been an issue for me, but if you get the VDI it lets it run cooler, with more power....

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If power isn't even remotely important go with the KQ. But, personally I think Suzuki should stick to 2wd machines and bikes

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
For a quad, and I used to hate them, having to work on them for years, I do own a King Couch 750. It's better than the grizz point for point and I've never overheated mine. Double overhead cam, 2 balance shafts, laid down motor with a belt drive system thats bulletproof and a slick shifting tranny. easy. The wet rear brake is great, Starts and runs perfect, plus oil changes are easy. What more do you want? I've had it up to 115kmh, Why? I don't know.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
King quad all the way,4x4 on polaris is a pos,wiring on polaris is a pos they are agricultural compared to king.But buy polaris if you like wrenching lots

How is the polaris 4x4 a pos never had a issue. you put it 4x4 and you get 4x4 no diff lock worry about just works. Wait guys i have to stop and put in diff lock or oh chit i forgot to put it in diff lock now i am stuck, none of that with the sportsman, and i have 3 sportsmans on has over 5500km on it never seen more than maintnece till my bro rolled it down a hill and we had to rebuild half the quad. Personally i dont care what you buy there both good machines as long as you have fun thats all that matters.

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
How is the polaris 4x4 a pos never had a issue. you put it 4x4 and you get 4x4 no diff lock worry about just works. Wait guys i have to stop and put in diff lock or oh chit i forgot to put it in diff lock now i am stuck, none of that with the sportsman, and i have 3 sportsmans on has over 5500km on it never seen more than maintnece till my bro rolled it down a hill and we had to rebuild half the quad. Personally i dont care what you buy there both good machines as long as you have fun thats all that matters.

sounds like ur takin it to heart,
I've only used diff lock when severly buried, If ur ridin w diff lock on, its gonna work ya out dam good. Most the King riders i ride w dont use diff lock either till , u guessed it, buried.
Can u explain how that popo system works? Is that front dif locked fulll time, or just limited slip?

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i've got a 750 brute and i ride with guys with all makes and models. the diff lock is really nice on a polaris if your bogging all the time but if your just cruising trails that are a bit slick its nice having the limited slip front end. there so much nicer to steer especially on a 100 km day. there both good but I like the simpler design of the KQ. polaris just has way to many moving parts and electronic chit for me. And the poos do overheat way more then the KQ. seen it a 100 times.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do take it to heart when people bash chit they know nothing about. The polaris system uses a roller clutch. When you are in 4x4 and the front wheels slow just a bit less than the rear (like 1/8th of a turn) the rollers ramp up and lock the wheels up full 4x4. when your on the trail it allows the front wheels to over run the cluch so it isn't hard to steer i can run in 4x4 all day and not even notice it. I know some guys with 30" tires that mud really hard have broken the roller cages but in the all miles i have put on mine i have never had a problem. Plus if for some reason you do brake a cage there is a aftermarket aluminum cage that i heard works awsome. And i dont get what you mean by theres more moving parts and more electronics, they are all efi, all are 4x4, all have brakes, etc its all the same amount of chit just assembled diff.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like i said never personaly seen it just rumors and we have 3 sportsmans and ride with 3 more. I still say the sportsman is were its at. Wouldn't trade mine for anything else, but if i did it would probaly be a brute rode them lots kinda have a sporty ride to them, can be fun but there not a 100km + all day ride machine.

500 King

Reaction score
I would say go for the sportsman the 4x4 system is better then the king guad.

youngpolaisguy,

I'm not here to argue with you, but I think that statement is a matter of opinion... and that is just your opinion.

I've had two Sportsman's and 3 Kings (and a couple other quads). :D In "my" opinion, the King's system is every bit as good as the Polaris... and again, in my opinion the King's system is more reliable... no plastic roller cage to break at the first wrong move.

I do agree with you last statement, the guy should try them both (and others) and come to his own conclusions.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd highly recommend a twin cylinder for a 4X4.. Top speed is nothing when your quad can't turn over a set of mud tires. I've had single cylinder quads, and rode countless others, and currently have a twin and wouldn't ride anything else. Even if you don't want a PoPo, get a Brute.

I can also tell you, that you shouldn't worry about the Polaris AWD, I have 28's on mine and haven't broke anything yet. Nor have I heard of it on other forums like Highlifter, where people run 30+" tires on their 800's.

If you sink your quad lots in muskeg and what not, get a rad relocate kit on your Polaris.

POPO= Pulling Other People Out. :d

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree a 4x4 should have 2 cylinders more torque just better. I just don't like having to worry about diff lock and yes it is my oppinion. I ride polaris cause is what i know and what i love. I upgraded to the 850 and though all the chit i put that quad though i have never had any real issues nor has it ever over heated on me. Buy what you want just have fun I am not trying to sell polaris as a bulit prof brand that has no issues they all do. I ride with all brands and as long it dose what you want and you have fun at it thats all that matters. good luck with the purchase.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2, and 115KM/h means nothing.. It's just like saying I have a pipe where the only power gains are at 11,000 rpm... Congradulations...

A single cyl will never have the grunt of a twin. If your a hard core mudder, or simply want power. Twin hands down. I've owned singles... Never again shall I go down that road..

Top Bottom