Pics from castle area april 16-10

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could not beat the weather. Enough snow to ride and most of the sketchy stuff had already slid.

Attachments

• S3600002.jpg
    S3600002.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 105
  • S3600005.jpg
    S3600005.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 94
  • S3600008.jpg
    S3600008.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 88
  • S3600012.jpg
    S3600012.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 102
  • S3600013.jpg
    S3600013.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 102
  • S3600014.jpg
    S3600014.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 92
  • S3600016.jpg
    S3600016.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 89

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes that is the area, definitely not for the faint of heart. Was my 2nd time back into this area but had someone who rides there almost weekly leading the way. A lot of nice looooong climbs back in the area.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya I have only been in there a couple times myself as well I usually go in with Glen you used to do the grooming out at castle he was one of the firsts to punch into that area but man oh man ius it ever nice back there just wondering how the snow was back there pm me if you don't mind I haven't been back to my ranch out that way in awhile and have not heard of the conditions yet

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
curious wich way you accessed it from did you go up the two waterfalls then in around the big bowl or did you come in from the gate and creek side

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Staged at Castle ski hill. Only rode trail for a few km before getting off of trail and into the trees. The person that was leading us in had just found a new (to him) route into the area (couple scary trips down through the trees). We came out through the middle Kootenay area on the trail. So is that your private cabin by the creek with corrals etc back in there? Seen some private signs posted but looked like a nice place. Snow was still good with a few inches of fresh to cover the tracks and trail was good right to within a km of the ski hill parking lot. Like i say, was only my 2nd trip into the area so i dont know which waterfalls you would be referring to.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya the two waterfalls are I think after the second lease site hard to explain but you go over two waterfalls to another bowl then go to the right of the bowl it looks kinda like the trees you guys had the pics of but not sure. That private cabin is not mine back there i actually own a ranch about 5 minutes from beaver mines!! Were did you come out from when leaving did you exit from the trail by the little cabin or farther up towards the alberta side?? Guys have been know to exit down the flatheasd river and by butts cabin as well from there!! I'm up and going again for next weekend the 24 and 25 let me know if you would like some local company on sunday the 25

Staged at Castle ski hill. Only rode trail for a few km before getting off of trail and into the trees. The person that was leading us in had just found a new (to him) route into the area (couple scary trips down through the trees). We came out through the middle Kootenay area on the trail. So is that your private cabin by the creek with corrals etc back in there? Seen some private signs posted but looked like a nice place. Snow was still good with a few inches of fresh to cover the tracks and trail was good right to within a km of the ski hill parking lot. Like i say, was only my 2nd trip into the area so i dont know which waterfalls you would be referring to.

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont know if we will get back into the area again this season. Probably ride the Corbin area if anything. Seemed to be more snow in Corbin when we rode there last week but who knows.;) Wish i could tell u exactly where we went in and out but i was just following the Leader.:beer::beer:

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya the two waterfalls are I think after the second lease site hard to explain but you go over two waterfalls to another bowl then go to the right of the bowl it looks kinda like the trees you guys had the pics of but not sure. That private cabin is not mine back there i actually own a ranch about 5 minutes from beaver mines!! Were did you come out from when leaving did you exit from the trail by the little cabin or farther up towards the alberta side?? Guys have been know to exit down the flatheasd river and by butts cabin as well from there!! I'm up and going again for next weekend the 24 and 25 let me know if you would like some local company on sunday the 25

Ya thats the way I have been,,,, and we did the big loop stopping at the cabin mid day.... very fun place but can be pretty sketchy,, I would be careful as thoose creeks start to open up I know last spring we almost got wet a few times lol...

We are riding somewhere next sunday as well,, where ever ther snow and weather is best maybe south or golden

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey no worries corbin is closer for me to if you ever dont mind havin a tag along I know a few spots in the corbin area!! ya it's hard to say were you poke out or go into in that area thats forsure. we are also planning on doing a ride to silent pass and the salmo creston pass this year again if you guys would be interested let me know

Dont know if we will get back into the area again this season. Probably ride the Corbin area if anything. Seemed to be more snow in Corbin when we rode there last week but who knows.;) Wish i could tell u exactly where we went in and out but i was just following the Leader.:beer::beer:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey pm me if you do go out me and a couple guys here in cranbrook are planning on either going to silent pass or the salmo/creston pass (found an amazing riding area unlimited) on sunday the 25 if you would be interested!!! ya definately one fun spot but super sketchy most times and ya I was just gonna say how are the creek crossings lol

Ya thats the way I have been,,,, and we did the big loop stopping at the cabin mid day.... very fun place but can be pretty sketchy,, I would be careful as thoose creeks start to open up I know last spring we almost got wet a few times lol...

We are riding somewhere next sunday as well,, where ever ther snow and weather is best maybe south or golden

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We go into sore crotch ever year but we allways wait for the big feather to come down and cover all the trees. This year it didn't come down so we didn't risk dropping through the trees under the avalanche waiting to happen.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know exactly were you are talking about that is one nasty area and one nasty hill when it comes down we have heard it come down a couple times from the ski hill

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We go into sore crotch ever year but we allways wait for the big feather to come down and cover all the trees. This year it didn't come down so we didn't risk dropping through the trees under the avalanche waiting to happen.
So where exactly is BIG Feather? Any pics?

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you know why it is called sore crotch??

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure no but there used to be a nasty horse or donkey trail that went through there; that maybe has something to do with the name.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure no but there used to be a nasty horse or donkey trail that went through there; that maybe has something to do with the name.
Actually a group of sledders from Pincher Creek gave it that name. They are the crew that organized the "Pincher Creek Mountaineers" snowmobile club and explored those areas in the 70s, 80s, 90s, and a few of em are still riding today (closing in on 70 years of age now) One of em had an incident in there and had to ride out with ... a sore crotch. :d
Just some trivia from some one who was there

Top Bottom