ok i can already see me getting a lot of flack for this one

Reaction score
i have a bit of a favour and a complaint. i am happy to see families in the mountains, and kids getting out and enjoying the sport, and as i am new to the mountains maybe i am just gettting a bit of a bad taste in my my mouth about it tho.. for three days in a row on a few different hills we have stopped at the cabin to warm up and have a bit of a rest. each time the cabins have been overrun, litteraly with families, 4-6 kids and 3 or more adults, all from the same group. each time they have taken over the tables and chairs and have pounded out the cabin staging area with snowboards or toboggans or little people learning to ride sleds. still not that big of a deal. but i thought the mountains and the cabins were supposed to be for everyone? not just one family? now we are pretty friendly and have trie going in and making friends and each time we were met with unfriendly people and were made to feel very akward.
im wondering if you read this with your ridiculous large family with 10 kids and the 4 women who are just there to sit in the cabin and crabby men who are mad that they are grounded at the cabin and wish to be playing in better snow or areas..then at least try to be polite and share the space with other sledders. maybe even smile and strike up a conversation. we are in this together. and for the families who have welcomed us in and all the great people we meet who have a smile and a minute to bs thank you.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
must be a rare occasion as I have never ran into this Problem. Yes I have seen families fill a cabin but for the most part they are all very friendly. Could be my bubbly personality.:d:d:d

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya it is funny how some people do claim ownership to a cabin. Maybe they were the first ones there and have a sense of entitlement because they started the wood stove...who knows. I haven't encountered this particular situation with the family issue but have definitely felt the unwelcome greeting at times from cabin occupants, but what can you do. Not everyone is as outgoing and friendly as I am out on the trails so I just move along to the other 99% of the people who are friendly. I've got better things to do when I'm out riding than waste my effort trying to get people to like me.:beer:

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The cabins are there for warm ups not stage area. Warm your group and move along lots more than u and yours on the hill. If you got a big group find an area that works for your group and have a fire. Sled seats are more comfortable than most of the seats I've been in at cabins anyways.:d:beer:

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You weren't making fun of their arctic cats were you? Lol. Enjoyed chatting with you guys at lucielle

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Ya it is funny how some people do claim ownership to a cabin. Maybe they were the first ones there and have a sense of entitlement because they started the wood stove...who knows. I haven't encountered this particular situation with the family issue but have definitely felt the unwelcome greeting at times from cabin occupants, but what can you do. Not everyone is as outgoing and friendly as I am out on the trails so I just move along to the other 99% of the people who are friendly. I've got better things to do when I'm out riding than waste my effort trying to get people to like me.:beer:

We were the first ones up Clamina on boxing day, started the stove and at first kind of had our chit scattered.... as more people showed up we talked with them and consolidated our stuff to a small area and when it started to get a little crowded we gladly moved outside and went for a ride. When you are the first and you take the time to start the stove and clean up the cabin you have to remind yourself that you are no more entitled than anyone else, I think some people lack that ability...

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All you can do is be friendly and outgoing yourself. If you get a cool reception go outside and then come back in and say something like " I'M BACK, DID YOU MISS ME?" That will usually break the ice. If it doesn't then just warm up and move on. Don't let it ruin a nice day of sledding.

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cabins are a great thing, but with cabins usually comes with hard packed snow conditions. That is why we generally ride areas without cabins & build a fire for those cloudy / snowy & :beer: days.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just run in and ask who's sled is on fire....you'll get a seat real fast.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Obviously, you havent encountered our group, we try hard to teach out kids to be polite, get the frick away from the stove if others are coming in to warm up and such, and like it or not, we always say hi and talk to everyone we see. If ever I dont, kick me...

What I wish, is there was a way to know who the heck eveyone is...Just found out I ran into Rigrat and his group at the cabin a couple days ago, we all said hi and talked and didnt know we were both on S&M until we got back on here doing the old 'hey was that you' thing...

Anyways, back to the original post by princess...open up, start the conversation and assuming that you already have, and people are still being tards, dont let it bother you, they likely werent worth talking to in the first place...

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Obviously, you havent encountered our group, we try hard to teach out kids to be polite, get the frick away from the stove if others are coming in to warm up and such, and like it or not, we always say hi and talk to everyone we see. If ever I dont, kick me...

What I wish, is there was a way to know who the heck eveyone is...Just found out I ran into Rigrat and his group at the cabin a couple days ago, we all said hi and talked and didnt know we were both on S&M until we got back on here doing the old 'hey was that you' thing...

Anyways, back to the original post by princess...open up, start the conversation and assuming that you already have, and people are still being tards, dont let it bother you, they likely werent worth talking to in the first place...

That's good advice....if it's work to get a conversation going, then it isn't worth it. I'm a total blabber-mouth, and I have my suspicions about people who are tight lipped while they're supposed to be having fun.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well once again its a case of some bunch of people ruining it for everyone else, same as the people that vandalise or dont back out their garbage. Not everyone out there are dicks and actually all the people I have run into or had deals with on this site are absoluty excellent.

If this happens again just ask politely if they could move or give up some room(give them the benefit of doubt), if politeness doesnt work then get pushy and angry, this is what I do, its just like the shopping at a mall around christmas or the lunch areas at ski hills, cant stand that when the families take up the whole table and dont let anyone else sit. Sometimes people need to be taught lessons or manners!:nono:

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
You know, now that my kids are grown up I dislike people who have kids in a nicer restaurant, but back in the day, we took our kids there.
For me I have to remind myself that public area are public areas and each to their own, but I still don't want to hear kids in a nicer restaurant...lol...

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know, now that my kids are grown up I dislike people who have kids in a nicer restaurant, but back in the day, we took our kids there.
For me I have to remind myself that public area are public areas and each to their own, but I still don't want to hear kids in a nicer restaurant...lol...

Now its you instead of the kids that whines and cries in the nice restaurant aint it? lol :d

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca

Trust me, you wont hear mine ever...and that right there is the problem in a nutshell...

Its not the KIDS, its the PARENTS...If my kids are making noise in a restarurant they get shut up FAST. If we are at the cabin and someone ever says hi and they dont respond back to them politely, they get a backhand across the head LOL

Then later, they get more chit for not saying hello first...It might sound harsh, but this is how we were raised, respect for your parents and ALL elders. Now this is just the kids, there are still tons of peeps our age that never learned this as kids, and now they are jackasses today...

SLedding community as a whole is great, but I agree the community is way too small for anyone (powderprincess) to have to make a post like this in the first place. Where is the world do people come from, that they make other sledders feel unwelcome...Hopefully they were from far far away LOL

ridndirty

Reaction score
Obviously they didnt know that the Princess was on the mountain. Back once again to pound the endless powder that ALWAYS surrounds her cabin. What is wrong with these grouchy people? Why cant they just leave the litter of their loins at home with an X-box and a bag of Cheetos? Or give them 40 bucks and send them to the mall where they can have fun and be safe. GAWD!!:rant:

ponyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i once took over the cabin at millege i think it was , i had the fire going , and it was toasty . everyone that came to the door did not stay long , prolly cause i was naked cept my joe boxers. oh and i had all kinds of things hanging on the wall , sled jacket , bibs , boots , clothes , pipes , carbs , cdi box , carb boots, lite weight seat , back pack .ect ect ect... put my sled in the creek beside the cabin up to my waist. i managed too keep my lunch and smokes dry though. and some real nice peeps gave me some beer. anyway i hope i didnt scare no one, butt sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do . good thing was , i got the sled fired up on 3rd pull , but i was in no shape to drive , so we pulled it out SORRY NO PICS

Top Bottom