Official 2015/2016 Fernie conditions

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can someone please lift my spirits and give me hope that there will be more snow than rain this weekend and into the week. I am starting to rethink my plans to come down and sled if its just going to be hard packed and or slush.

I am going to be staying with a friend in Sparwood but he hasn't been out in a few weeks so doesn't know the true conditions on the hills.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can someone please lift my spirits and give me hope that there will be more snow than rain this weekend and into the week. I am starting to rethink my plans to come down and sled if its just going to be hard packed and or slush.

I am going to be staying with a friend in Sparwood but he hasn't been out in a few weeks so doesn't know the true conditions on the hills.

Around here, you never know until you go. As an example...a few weeks ago at the ski hill, it was fantastic on Wednesday, raining on Friday, frozen on Saturday and fantastic on Sunday and the following Wednesday. It changes from good to bad to good in a few hours...you would not believe how many times in the last 25 years I've said "if only it were a couple of degrees colder". It was great riding last Sunday, but we did have to get off the beaten track.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Here is the 7 day forecast for Fernie. If you scroll down a bit you will see the night time temps are freezing level. This is the forecast for Fernie and not at elevation. Fernie is at 3300' or 1000m and you would ride around 6000' or 1800m. Quite a difference in temps.

Fernie, British Columbia 7 Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Network

It is a long drive from GP but you will visit with a friend and if you ride Tuesday or Wednesday you may find some lemon pepper shrimp.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is the 7 day forecast for Fernie. If you scroll down a bit you will see the night time temps are freezing level. This is the forecast for Fernie and not at elevation. Fernie is at 3300' or 1000m and you would ride around 6000' or 1800m. Quite a difference in temps.

Fernie, British Columbia 7 Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Network

It is a long drive from GP but you will visit with a friend and if you ride Tuesday or Wednesday you may find some lemon pepper shrimp.

I was going to get in touch with you if I did make it down, and have decided good or bad weather I am going to come down anyways. I will message you Sunday night I will be riding sun/mon/tue and driving home Wednesday

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Coming to coal creek on Saturday. Is the parking lot big enough for a 4 place trailer. How does it compare to the morrisey parking lot. Thanks

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Coming to coal creek on Saturday. Is the parking lot big enough for a 4 place trailer. How does it compare to the morrisey parking lot. Thanks
As long as you get there early or if people would actually park with some common sense there is lots of room at coal creek for a big trailer and a better parking lot than Morrissey.

bud800

Reaction score
Anybody riding this weekend that wouldn't mind another guy tagging along? Weather forecast looks better for Fernie than Golden or Revy.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you get there after 10, just park out before you start going through the trees, by the trail pass lady. It seems after 10 or 10 30, common sense goes out the window, and you might be forced to either push assholes out of the way, or back out to where you purchased trail passes.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Not really. Parking in both lots is a joke.

Yes, the City of Fernie doesn't cater to sledders. Coal Creek may be plowed a week behind after a dump and parking has a simple solution on a reclaimed dump. but do you think they would be pro-active?

On a busy weekend the road is the parking lot...............all the way into town. That really show appreciation and gratitude to the sledding community.

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One place I sled has a parking lot attendant.
There to collect trail passes AND help park.
They had 185 sleds one day. In a lot that was not very big.
Just sayin"

Top Bottom