New truck for towing

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same chitty 2 piston calipers, same disks, same pads...
Buddy has a 3/4 ton dodge. Same brakes as my half ton stock.

Mine are way better than his now though. Lol

These would be what an upgrade looks like

1707760963115.png

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy has a 3/4 ton dodge. Same brakes as my half ton stock.

Mine are way better than his now though. Lol

there is no way a dodge half ton has the same brakes as the 3/4? usually the 3/4+ stuff is way more heavy duty.

at least on the GM side anyways. Thats just plain scary if a half ton and a 3/4 ton have the same brakes

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You get a heavier frame, heavier springs, full floating rear end. Maybe a diesel.

Brakes rotors a tiny bit bigger. Maybe 5$ in cast

Diesel is the way to go for towing.

Last edited:

wkotelko

Reaction score
We have a 24 gm with the 6.6l gas and allison trans. Its a step ahead with the allison in it but Its a gas guzzler and has us wishing it was a diesel every time we tow. The price difference is more like 20k to step into a diesel now which is why we bought gas. Your resale value is far better with the diesel as well. The emissions systems are coming along and are far more reliable than they used to be. If you can afford it get the diesel.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For what I need my 6.4 3500 works pretty good. It is thirsty when pulling my skid steer or anything at 10k+ lbs. It's not cheap on oil changes either with 0w40 synthetic spec but free oil changes were included in the purchase.
Would I like a diesel? For sure but I like the extra $ in my bank account too.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What steering problem are you having with dodge? What parts are you replacing? Just curious.
Constantly in getting wheel alignments, but we are on very rough gravel/cobble stone roads.. couldn’t tell you what all parts they change, I just pay the bills these days.. As well the newest dodge we have is a 2018.. maybe newer ones are better? We will never know… after the last transmission fiasco with dodge corporate, we won’t own another one..

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Constantly in getting wheel alignments, but we are on very rough gravel/cobble stone roads.. couldn’t tell you what all parts they change, I just pay the bills these days.. As well the newest dodge we have is a 2018.. maybe newer ones are better? We will never know… after the last transmission fiasco with dodge corporate, we won’t own another one..

Well there isnt really any thing to go wrong with the steering that wouldnt happen on any other truck.

Sounds like your guys drive them like they are racing the baja. Thats how i drive too, and you need to fix stuff, just like sledding hard.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Late model GMC 3500 vs ford f350. Diesel

Motor and trans pretty much equal id say.

Transfercase? Hard to get info, but probably a np 273 thats been around a for ever.

Front axle gmc has ifs and ford has a weaker version of dana 60 that came out in the 70s..

Rear axle same ch!t basically. Maybe you get a locker if ur lucky.

So ask yourself this. Which one looks cooler, which one has a better screen.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sold my duramax and bought a 6.4 Ram 2500 , really like the truck but with a 10000 lb ish TT behind it , it works ok but would prefer a diesel , probably gonna go that route soon.
Used a 7.3 ford gasser this fall quite a bit , really didn’t like the truck at all , and comparison to the 6.4 Hemi , really not that much stronger , and way worse on fuel. ( neither are great when loaded)
6.4 Hemi. 410 HP , 430 lbs torque
7.3 ford 430 HP 470 lbs torque
6.6 GM. 401 HP 460 lbs torque

All of them will do ok towing , but if you’re gonna pull lots , best choice isn’t a gasser IMO.

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really like my f250 7.3 gasser. Very strong pulling my trailer up the highwood pass. I had a 6L gmc 2500 and it was pretty poor in comparison. Plus that 7.3 is a very simple design and easy to service.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really like my f250 7.3 gasser. Very strong pulling my trailer up the highwood pass. I had a 6L gmc 2500 and it was pretty poor in comparison. Plus that 7.3 is a very simple design and easy to service.

6L has awesome fuel pumps! It’s unbelievable how much fuel those little pumps can pump! I never seen a truck burn that much fuel and make that little of power!

rlook

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, lots of useful info here. The truck is going to be a tow/haul specific truck as I'm planning to keep my F150 for my daily driver work truck and only use the HD truck when I need it. It seems like most recommend the diesel for this type of use and I'm leaning that way. I don't want to find myself struggling in head winds or hills.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just looking at new 1 ton trucks, Dodge dealers seam to have more wiggle room on price. Fully loaded Ram 3500 mega limited dually can get around $110k. F450 platinum $130k. I was wanting to go Ford for the new truck, but not at that price difference.

FanaticalKilla

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just looking at new 1 ton trucks, Dodge dealers seam to have more wiggle room on price. Fully loaded Ram 3500 mega limited dually can get around $110k. F450 platinum $130k. I was wanting to go Ford for the new truck, but not at that price difference.
Dodge is having issues moving iron so I wouldn't be surprised if the deals are better over there.

Top Bottom