new grips, which adhesive?

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently installing a new handle bar set up and the grips suggest using Loctite Super Glue. I'm having trouble finding that particular adhesive. Any other suggestions on another adhesive?
Thanks

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used the pro-taper glue on mine, just make sure you have enough carb cleaner on the inside to get it on first, otherwise you will have grips glued half ways on, don't laugh happened to a friend. :beer:

Stuff was cheap, bought it from the local KTM dealer, should be able to buy it at any dirtbike shop.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
LOCTITE Super glue is like "crazy glue".... Napa sells the super glue.... I use it on all my sleds.... Never have to worry about it twisting out of shape, like other glues/adhesives......

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I was told to use ordinary black spray paint (don't think the color matters much). Sprayed the handle bar and inside the grip. The grip slid on very easy and no mess. Checked them this morning and sure enough, straight and stiff.....just like a morning wood.:perfect10::wtg:

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, I was told to use ordinary black spray paint (don't think the color matters much). Sprayed the handle bar and inside the grip. The grip slid on very easy and no mess. Checked them this morning and sure enough, straight and stiff.....just like a morning wood.:perfect10::wtg:
----------------------- :agutter:

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've used black spray paint before and works great in cold but had issues when hand warmers are on or warm spring riding.Not fun when you are left standing there with your grips in your hands and sled is free wheelin .

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
best stuff i've ever used was 3m weatherstrip adhesive, you can pick this up at gregg dist. This stuff is awesome.

weatherstrip adhesive stays pliable and if you're using them to put your handlebar heaters on, the slue will get soft and twist/turn on the handlebars under heavy pulling... We lots of the stuff at our shop.... I know from experience

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've used Elmers spray adhesive, hairspary and spray paint. My best success has been with just good old two part SLOW cure epoxy. Gave me time to adjust everything to my liking and cured up hard over night. NO issues with the grips or heaters years later.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks ZRrrr
Just ordered A whole new handlebar package,grips hooks cables and the whole deal,Never put on grips before so this is valuble stuff!Time is a necessary for this guy.
catmando!

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
thanks zrrrr
just ordered a whole new handlebar package,grips hooks cables and the whole deal,never put on grips before so this is valuble stuff!time is a necessary for this guy.
Catmando!

having an air compressor with a small nozzle helps with installing the grips over the bars/heaters, for sure!!! Very slick and easy!!!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks Ric,May have to buy a bunch of beer and invite you and bunnyboy over when they come in!
catmando!
Rusty too so we can make it a fridge move LOL!

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I usually just use some soapy water and slide them on - when the water dries the soap residue holds them perfectly in place. never had a problem with them twisting or turning.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've always used clear lacuer in a spray can. Spray bar and in grip, slide on and forget about it. and if you spill no one will ever know as it's clear! lol

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i heat mine before putting them on, especially over the heat tape, just in a pout in water on the stove, makes it easier to work them on, more flex when hot.

Top Bottom