New GM 6.6 gaser

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a new 2500 . Does anyone have the 6.6 gas motor ? What do you think of it?

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I have one friend who has one, a thirsty engine when pulling a small 2 place trailer, and the shifting drove me nuts. Prefer my Duramax for both fuel economy and the shifting, I stay in one gear when pulling my trailer, that thing was up and down. The gasser 6.6 used a lot of fuel.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve only put 6000kms on mine since getting it at end of December but here’s my thoughts. My last 3 trucks before it were LMM deleted, LML deleted and gm 6.2l gas half ton. My 6.6l gasser is doing about 3L/100km more fuel than the diesels 50/50 mixed driving (diesels 11-12 and gasser 13-14), in my opinion that’s good and might improve as breaks in? Pulling a 8000lb 30ft trailer it’s about the same, maybe 4L/100km. Yes it doesn’t have the diesel low end torque so it needs to shift down or at least you need to mentally think more when driving in hills.

Low end torque is better than my 6.2l gas, seems to lug better and bonus is 87 octane gas. $12000 cheaper than a duramax buys a lot of other cool stuff, just need to decide for yourself how much you tow, how often and if you want to have the fun factor power (be honest, this gasser won’t wet your wife’s panties like a diesel). For sure I miss the diesel fun factor, but in my case just doesn’t make sense. Over 100,000km I will spend ~$3500 extra money in gas minus maintenance on my gas job vs a diesel and knew I would get the difference back when I sold, but I can tell you that extra money is doing much better in my TFSA vs sitting stagnant in my garage…

I personally think 6.6 gas is the best value HD gas truck out there and you get reliable power & old design 6 speed tranny, which is a negative too but at least they ain’t blowing up like Ford’s 10 speed.

Ram: base is 6.4, $9450 for Cummings (Lower power)…. Often have “free Cummings” upgrade that makes it only $4-5000 more for a diesel which is a no brainer
Ford: base is 6.2, $2250 upgrade to 7.3 gas or $10575 to diesel… no brainer to go to diesel vs 7.3 for only $8300 more

LMLCHEVY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was pumped on my 6.6 gas, until my luck struck again and unlike the last 20 years diesel decided to stay cheap and gas prices went through the FN roof. Not so pumped now. I like all the features the new trucks come with like trailer TPMS and the camera’s but the truck body is pretty flimsy. Still stronger than an alumaduty but not as tough as it’s predecessors.
The trans shift strategy is dog4$hit. If there ever was a vehicle that needs an 8-10 speed gassers are it. And no tuning available still.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hooter

Reaction score
Any updates here? Loookig at pulling the trigger on one
Have almost 30k on mine so far no complaints. Tow a 28ft enclosed and I do not miss my Cummins at all. Mileage is not the best compared to the Cummins but I was expecting that. I only tow about 30 days out of the year so Xtra cost for diesel was not worth it in my eyes

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have almost 30k on mine so far no complaints. Tow a 28ft enclosed and I do not miss my Cummins at all. Mileage is not the best compared to the Cummins but I was expecting that. I only tow about 30 days out of the year so Xtra cost for diesel was not worth it in my eyes

Thanks, thats where im at too. I cant swallow the bill of a 90k truck that i will only tow with a few times a year. Gas 2500 is the only way to get a new HD truck under 70k.

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah probably the truck to buy if you want a gas job . The 7.3 ford looks interesting to .

Reactions: zal

LMLCHEVY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t buy a gas 6.6 till they do something with the transmission. I hated the 6 speed and just sold the truck a month ago. After driving the 7.3 ford with the 10 speed it’s far superior.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t buy a gas 6.6 till they do something with the transmission. I hated the 6 speed and just sold the truck a month ago. After driving the 7.3 ford with the 10 speed it’s far superior.

whats so bad about it. i have a 2013 2500 gas with a 6.0l and i just put it in manual 5 when towing anything. Seems to work not always hunting for a gear

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve got 86,000 km on a 2020 (3500 srw)
Lifetime l/100 =17.3
Best l/100 = 14.3
Engine hrs = 1305
Idle time = 350
Weight = 4300 kg without quad

This is a survey truck with a deck and tools. It has hauled 1quad for about 20,000 km. It has also hauled a couple trailers back and forth to job sites. All we have done is gas and regular maintenance.

LMLCHEVY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whats so bad about it. i have a 2013 2500 gas with a 6.0l and i just put it in manual 5 when towing anything. Seems to work not always hunting for a gear
It’s direct injection and throttle response is totally different. Towing wasn’t really an issue so much. But empty, in town, If you are off throttle and just touch the feeder it revs up and then locks the converter real quick and lugs the rpm’s down. Then when you continue adding more throttle input and more and nothing really happens then all of a sudden it down shifts and your flying. Kinda like a 3 speed auto in that regard.

It’s dumb for driving around town or low speed in hilly country. Loaded pulling 6-7000lbs it was much more manageable but empty it sucked. All fixable with tuning, but there is nothing available at all yet.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s direct injection and throttle response is totally different. Towing wasn’t really an issue so much. But empty, in town, If you are off throttle and just touch the feeder it revs up and then locks the converter real quick and lugs the rpm’s down. Then when you continue adding more throttle input and more and nothing really happens then all of a sudden it down shifts and your flying. Kinda like a 3 speed auto in that regard.

It’s dumb for driving around town or low speed in hilly country. Loaded pulling 6-7000lbs it was much more manageable but empty it sucked. All fixable with tuning, but there is nothing available at all yet.
Plus you made money on it lol

Top Bottom