Ram Upgrades

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a new to me 04 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins. Any must do upgrades that I should do to the truck? I’m sure lots of you guys have owned a similar truck over the years. Cold air intake? Tuner? Etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know a guy with a couple here in SK, heavily modified.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had 04.5 as a work truck. Put 575k on it and sold it for $8k. Original trans. They are hard on ball joints and u-joints. There's protectors you can get for the rear brake caliper pins so they don't get hammered by rocks. Leave the air filter alone. Mine had zero blow-by at 575k. The transmission has a couple band adjustments most aren't aware of.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tuner for sure, Smarty Touch is good. Get custom tunes if you can afford, really helps with the trans tuning if your ecm is capable. Be gentle if its a stock trans.

Wouldnt bother with the cold air intake, stock is good with the new deeper pleat filters.

EMF balljoints when they are required.

I added this to help the back cylinders keep cooler (supposedly) and it had an AFE intake elbow when i bought it.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had 04.5 as a work truck. Put 575k on it and sold it for $8k. Original trans. They are hard on ball joints and u-joints. There's protectors you can get for the rear brake caliper pins so they don't get hammered by rocks. Leave the air filter alone. Mine had zero blow-by at 575k. The transmission has a couple band adjustments most aren't aware of.
Just adjusted my front band today, 2nd was slipping.

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tuner for sure, Smarty Touch is good. Get custom tunes if you can afford, really helps with the trans tuning if your ecm is capable. Be gentle if its a stock trans.

Wouldnt bother with the cold air intake, stock is good with the new deeper pleat filters.

EMF balljoints when they are required.

I added this to help the back cylinders keep cooler (supposedly) and it had an AFE intake elbow when i bought it.

Should have included that it has a 6 speed standard transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sold my 03 with 250k, cousin has it for towing service trailer.
Now has 450k.
6 speed standard.
Just regular service - stock and still no major issues.
Better durability than the new trucks.
I would not mod it personally till you get to know if it has adequate power for your service needs.
Great milage stock with the standard.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Predator fuel box that I'll make you a deal on.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an 04' 2500 4x4 auto with the 305/555 Cummins, 6" lift, 35s, exhaust, stacked tuners, Airdog fuel sytem, air intake, intake manifold and a wicked sounds sytem. Lots of good memories with that rig, should have never sold it but hindsight is 20/20 as they say! Was pushing 500hp with it when I sold it too. Ah to be 20 again with no mortgage LMAO.

Must do's:
-Upgrade the balljoints to Carli or Dynatracs. I had dynatrac's in my 04'. Don't bother with moog, theyre made out of playdough
-Put the upgraded steering link/tie rod assembly on from Dodge (if it hasn't had it already)
-The AC will likely suck, from what I remember, overcharging the system seemed to cure it (lots of guys felt the factory recommended charge wasn't enough)
-Set your valve lash to spec, this will do wonders for fuel economy if they're out a bit.
-The lift pumps are notorious for failing, just put a FASS or Airdog system on it and be done with it.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an 04' 2500 4x4 auto with the 305/555 Cummins, 6" lift, 35s, exhaust, stacked tuners, Airdog fuel sytem, air intake, intake manifold and a wicked sounds sytem. Lots of good memories with that rig, should have never sold it but hindsight is 20/20 as they say! Was pushing 500hp with it when I sold it too. Ah to be 20 again with no mortgage LMAO.

Must do's:
-Upgrade the balljoints to Carli or Dynatracs. I had dynatrac's in my 04'. Don't bother with moog, theyre made out of playdough
-Put the upgraded steering link/tie rod assembly on from Dodge (if it hasn't had it already)
-The AC will likely suck, from what I remember, overcharging the system seemed to cure it (lots of guys felt the factory recommended charge wasn't enough)
-Set your valve lash to spec, this will do wonders for fuel economy if they're out a bit.
-The lift pumps are notorious for failing, just put a FASS or Airdog system on it and be done with it.
Some good points, i would recommend the EMF balljoints over carli or dynatracs though because they are adjustable, rebuildable in the truck, cheaper and they are Alberta made too.

I still run the old steering setup, so it can work fine (3" lift and 35s).

Depends on the lift pump, they changed to an in tank pump around that time and they were much better.

FanaticalKilla

Reaction score
Some good points, i would recommend the EMF balljoints over carli or dynatracs though because they are adjustable, rebuildable in the truck, cheaper and they are Alberta made too.

I still run the old steering setup, so it can work fine (3" lift and 35s).

Depends on the lift pump, they changed to an in tank pump around that time and they were much better.
2002 was the year they swapped over for in tank lift pumps.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope, 03 was originally on the back of the filter housing, in tank was usually done as an upgrade and then stock in 05 i think.

Top Bottom