Trans issue? 68RFE

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an issue the other day with my 15 2500 5.7. Was 33c outside, pulling skid steer up 10% grade and trans was at 82c wouldn't down shift. Temp hit 88c and ding trans to hot warning light. Shut it down waited 20mins, put in 4lo to get going since I was half way up, got to top and stopped, back to 2 wheel drive and was fine getting home.
145k on the truck, haven't pulled anything again.
Time to start shopping...

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure how your truck shifts/operates, but did you have the tow/haul button engaged? I know on the older models the tow/haul button would keep the torque converter locked, which would significantly lower transmission temps.
I had driven 30kms stopped at the store and forgot to push the tow Button before pulling out, pushed it just as I hit the hill. I was thinking maybe it didn't lock up before it was under load.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2008 ram srw 6.7 trans ram ran hot towing has 373 gears basically overheating hot trans and coolant
My 2016 ram Long box dually with 410 gears trans runs mid range towing
I get better mileage with the dually
It is all stock.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It finally happened again. Pulling trailer and truck went into limp mode, stuck in 4th gear. It's been at the dealership for 2.5 weeks now. First they change solenoid valve, didn't work. then valve body, didn't work. Waited 3 more days and they called to say they are putting in a new trans. Waiting for trans to ship from states. Hopefully warranty doesn't have any hidden fees... Service guy said it was all covered.
My 2010 Ram 1500 did basically the same thing, it was a bad shift solenoid which I changed myself and haven't had a problem with it since. I've got a co-worker with the same truck as yours (2013) and his is down for the same issue, he said his shop changed the solenoid but it didn't fix it, pack was fine so maybe it needs a reflash, it's been sitting in the parking lot at work for over a week waiting to go to the dealer. Might want to ask them about getting it re-flashed and see what happens.

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2010 Ram 1500 did basically the same thing, it was a bad shift solenoid which I changed myself and haven't had a problem with it since. I've got a co-worker with the same truck as yours (2013) and his is down for the same issue, he said his shop changed the solenoid but it didn't fix it, pack was fine so maybe it needs a reflash, it's been sitting in the parking lot at work for over a week waiting to go to the dealer. Might want to ask them about getting it re-flashed and see what happens.
Mine is a 2018 but yes probably the same trans. With warranty the said they had to go by code. Fix this and that to see if it works, if it didn't then had to wait for an approval from chrysler canada to approve the next step. Trans came in way sooner then i thought and they had it done the next day. Truck pulls mint now and st albert dodge was stellar!!

Pano dude....hope yours isn't same issue. My bill was zero, but im sure with cost of labor and new trans would be close to 7-8 bills

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you check if the accumulator plate has any loose or missing screws? It’s such a common problem that the Chrysler fiche has a accumulator plate repair kit. Happened to mine at 120000.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took it to my mechanic, he said dump it asap. Needed a bunch of other work done too.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took it to my mechanic, he said dump it asap. Needed a bunch of other work done too.

Considering how much you'd overpay on a 21, that seems like a odd thing to say right now, granted you would have got a good price for the used truck but that 21 is going to hurt to sell later because of how much it's going to lose in value.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Considering how much you'd overpay on a 21, that seems like a odd thing to say right now, granted you would have got a good price for the used truck but that 21 is going to hurt to sell later because of how much it's going to lose in value.
I wasn't putting 10k in repairs into the old truck, I put that money plus trade into the new one. It is a better truck for my needs and being it's a work truck I can't have any down time for repairs. No truck no making money....

andrew3399

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow with such low kms (you said 70000) what were the other repairs needed other then a new transmission?

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow with such low kms (you said 70000) what were the other repairs needed other then a new transmission?
Truck had 150km, needed brakes again, plug change, tranny, ball joints again, and shocks.
Mechanic has had other 5.7 hemis with 150km that needed camshafts (Hemi tick). I wasn't going to roll the dice.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 1500 10sp is a Ford/GM partnership transmission. The HD trucks are not, at least from what I read, and what I was told.

Towing my TT my 21 GM HD does not downshift as much as my old Ram with the 68in it. The 10 so Allison is very smooth, it feels like there is a electric motor under the hood.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 6.4 + 8spd so far seems better, really quick shifts from stand still at wot. Pulls way harder than the 5.7l.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had my fluid and filter changed at the transmission shop, it usually runs cooler a change, maybe the tran fluid has gotten better. On one of my changes they had to add magnets to the pan to stop the filter from falling and stopping fluid flow. Towing with trucks it is recommended to change every 25-30000 miles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom