Need help what the heck happened to my XM!

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I went riding a few days ago and my 2013 summit XM ran great so I go in my shop today and see under my sled theres a bunch of oil, its all in by the clutch and under the motor it looks greasy and oily, My machine burned a regular amount of oil on last ride and the reservior hasent dropped in level at all since I parked it so what the heck is going on, I started it and it runs fine ! any info would be great because I think I have a serious issue here!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I went riding a few days ago and my 2013 summit XM ran great so I go in my shop today and see under my sled theres a bunch of oil, its all in by the clutch and under the motor it looks greasy and oily, My machine burned a regular amount of oil on last ride and the reservior hasent dropped in level at all since I parked it so what the heck is going on, I started it and it runs fine ! any info would be great because I think I have a serious issue here!
hmmm....do you have a buddy that's a real dick, like my dad, that pours puddles of oil and antifreeze under my toys so I think they're broken?

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No only upside down for maybe 1 minute and I just pulled the chaincase level plug and oil came pouring out so I know the chaincase is good! there was enough oil for it to fill the motor compartment and drip out both sides of skid plate! I just pulled the panels and hood off and cant find anything but its all oily and greasy up behind the primary clutch, could it be a outer crank bearing seal blew out?

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also I clean and inspect my sled before or after every ride and it was spotless in there before I went sledding last. I should mention the dealer just replaced the whole water pump assembly about 2 weeks ago and had the motor out and this happened the first ride out after they had it ! SO maybe they forgot something! All I know is I was planning on riding all weekend!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No only upside down for maybe 1 minute and I just pulled the chaincase level plug and oil came pouring out so I know the chaincase is good! there was enough oil for it to fill the motor compartment and drip out both sides of skid plate! I just pulled the panels and hood off and cant find anything but its all oily and greasy up behind the primary clutch, could it be a outer crank bearing seal blew out?
if anything I would suspect exhaust or raves loosened off. seal will make the motor suck in, not blow out.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Forgot the doughnut on the exhaust pipe. That would make a mess?

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or check the oil lines for the rave valves? Maybe leaking there?

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I say we have a bingo.
Just checked donut on exhaust pipe is in there and its all dry in that area It looks like it has to be leaking from under the engine somewhere is there a oil line thats leaking under there maybe? Regardless im gonna bring it back to the dealer first thing in the morning!

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol

what about the chaincase overflow. was it upside down for a significant period of a time

To prevent this just run a hose from the chain case breather to where the gas is vented out. Skidoo has another empty vent right there to hook it up. Done it myself and keeps everything on the inside clean. You can get the clear hose at canadian tire.

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oil line that runs next to the fuel pump, up to the top of the oil tank. might be able to see it from the RH side of the sled. looks like a return line...mine leaked. ran down to the belly. whee. fun.

Last edited:

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the dealer has found a hole in an oil line and its fixed so im riding this weekend woohoo thanks guys!

Top Bottom