NDP Minority Govt in Alberta

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think what pissed most Albertans off was the fact that the PC's were willing to put the blame on the citizen's only and tax the citizen's only.....and not share the load with the corporations.... I think most Albertan's wanted to hear that "we dug ourselves into a hole and TOGETHER we will all do our share to get us out of it" but instead he said "look in a mirror and you will see who is to blame"

But, with that being said, I also believe most Albertans did NOT vote in support of the NDP. they voted to remove the PC's. The NDP will need to earn our respect or they will be removed in the next election....
The real problem lies in the loss of stock prices based on the unknown of a new government. Once the stocks slide a bit the CEO's have to do something to gain confidence from the shareholders, this usually is done in the form of cost cuts. Cuts go across the board, but usually layoffs and contractor cutbacks are the first cuts, then they go from there. That is how the ball starts rolling.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oil is low, patch laid off.. Boo hoo.. But the mess we are about to go threw will make oil look good.. We're are the laughing joke of the country now.. Way to go north
I wouldnt say laughing stock, but I would say scared for you. What happens in Alberta will inevitably effect the rest of the country and not in a good way.

There are 2 problems that are at the forefront. First is the NDP idealism, maybe that comes true, maybe not. The second is the inexperience of the new government. When combined you have a recipe for disaster. The NDP will have little control of what happens in the next couple of months. Corporations will have to show that they are reacting to the changes and that can snowball.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
When will she call a new session of the legislature? When will we see a real, detailed budget dealing with that $7-billion hole created by low oil prices — not the fuzzy, broad brush strokes budget the NDP released during the campaign (the one with the billion dollars mistake)?
“You will also get specific information on that in the course of the next three or four days. We are just in the course of having some discussions, but I will get back to you.”

Billion dollars mistake, and she couldn't add her budget correctly, but shes having some discussions and she will get back to us, after getting voted into majority power in alberta....I still can't believe she was voted in, with her "strong" mathematical skills and yet she will be in charge of Alberta's Billions, including the $18billion heritage trust fund. Guess we all wait till she gets back to Albertans, where the missing billions in her budget will come from.... here comes the pst and hst? probably :(

Reaction score
Going from 10 to 12% is a 20% increase. There was a big "math is hard" discussion during the debate. My take on all this is that it's only 4 years, with that much inexperience they probably won't be able to make a ton of huge changes. It wasn't all young people that voted them in, I'm 22 and every single person I know voted PC/WR. But then again I'm rural, and most of the rural/northern/eastern ridings aren't ndp from the maps I saw. F'in city slickers in Edmonton and Calgary are the ones to blame! Lol

No, it's a 2% increase...... The numbers being compared are already percentages.... (a number based out of 100)..... you don't take a percentage of a percentage... as it's no longer based out of 100.....

Last edited:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So one has to ask why he isn't recommending investing in one of the Alberta's royalty management companies, if and when royalties rise. Or investing in Alberta's alternate energy companies whose prospects for increased business are now looking better. Not much of an "expert" if you ask me.

Even well before the election HSBC was suggesting to it's investors that it might be time to divest oil stocks. Seems to me that points to more of a global shift than one caused by any political party in Alberta.

Canadas largest fear monger afraid of losing some of his corporate profits.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the sub contractors have revenues less than $500,000 they are supposed to be getting a 5% tax break. As well there was talk of a tax credit on the first $10,000 of a new employees salary for hiring people and a student employment program. Decent cost offsets for the small contractor.

Your theory is naive. How about corporations who sell their products primarily outside our borders, such as ...................... say, oil companies? They cant just "raise" prices therefor they have to cut costs to maintain their profit margins. That usually means employee's and sub contractors take the hit. A reverse backlash. Contractors and employees hit by higher tax's and being pushed for cutbacks. A very bad combination.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, it's a 2% increase...... The number being compared are already already percentages.... (a number based out of 100)..... you don't take a percentage of a percentage... as it's no longer based out of 100.....

you add like the NDP, going from a 10 % to 12 % is definitely a 20% increase. you must be a product of the new math. lol.

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is a 2% increase that increases the present rate by 20%. Still one of the lowest in the country. Also Alberta has no PST.

Reaction score
you add like the NDP, going from a 10 % to 12 % is definitely a 20% increase. you must be a product of the new math. lol.

Wow... hopefully the NDP invest in education... the 10 and the 12 are ALREADY PERCENTAGES... so its 12-10 that's 2...... Or if you like 12/100 - 10/100 = 2/100 ......

I feel bad for you sir.

By your "math" 12/100 - 10/100 = 20/100

/facepalm

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys are fawkin funny. There's a ton of gravy in O&G, if you don't like it try forestry. It's got a lot tighter margins and yet it still produces millionaire owners. You just have to learn a thing or two about efficiency.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Breath Keith.....breath....and stay away from Ric, he's an enabler.

I'm not some party loyalist, never have been. Not some "leaf licker" either. Wouldn't be on this site if I was! Just a realist. Each election, at every level of government, I do a ton of research (as you have seen) and make decisions based on truth and what party I think will be best for the whole of society. I enjoy the good debates, sharing of information and having opinions expressed freely. When it turns to anger it's not fun anymore.

I too have a small business based here in Alberta for the last 15 years (I 've lived here my entire life). My clients are in BC, AB, SK and MB. Since Ralph Klein and the policies brought in at that time I have watched numerous of my AB based clients lose good people and many ultimately closed up shop. Although the BC government acts more like Conservatives (as someone from BC here has also mentioned) due to public pressure the demand to diversify their economy is high. As such, I have seen my BC clients grow and thrive to the point that 70% of my business is now out of BC. Interestingly enough where I am currently seeing a resurrection is in MB. My industry used to thrive in MB. When the economy took a bath, it wasn't doing so well there. Mid 2014 and now into 2015 I am seeing activity once again, and it's from several companies. MB has been diversifying their economy, supporting technologies that have existed for some time, but were left unsupported. From my perspective the current ruling party in MB is indeed growing their economy and adding jobs. SK plugs along like it always has.

My revenue is currently less than $500,000 per year so under the NDP's I will be privy to a 5% tax break. WOW! If they proceed to diversify our economy, perhaps there will be growth in my industry, that means regaining jobs that were lost under the years of PC rule, that means value added products being made in AB, that means attracting investment back into AB once again. Should my company ever grow beyond revenues of $500,000, if I have managed well knowing my tax rate will jump, 2% more won't break me. Used to be a ton of investment within my industry here in AB, but when the PC's dropped any support for it to pursue oil/gas full time, it all packed up and left. So the balance will come back! Oil and gas is big factor for this province for sure, but wasn't always to the extent the PC's made it out to be (or their corporate supporters I should say). Will be good to see some investment back into the other parts of AB's economy that used to thrive. Balance is good for everyone, every industry, all Albertan's.

When it comes to Northern Gateway, I think we all need to take a hard look at the project. There are/will be multiple law suits to try and stop it. So 1 to 2 years for everyone to build a case, file suit, get a court date. Then 1 to 2 years in court, maybe another 1 to 2 for appeals. 1 year for review to ensure the 209 conditions are met. You also need a BC government supportive of the project and they may have conditions to be met. 6 months to a year more? 7 to 10 years before a shovel hits the ground. Highest success is with the energy east lines and upgrading locally so the products are easier to get out of the province. Keystone XL showed us clearly how much pressure there is from the people of the US and Europe to avoid the perceived "dirty oil". This is where the AB PC's and Harper Cons messed up. They didn't embrace any environmental initiatives provincially or nationally and that made AB/Canada look even worse. Investors did not want to the associated with a jurisdiction that gave and even worse tag line to the term "dirty oil". If we showed positive environmental initiatives and a better track record, public backlash would have been much less and AB would look more desirable. Shot ourselves in the foot!

Your company cuts blamed on the NDP a day after they take office is laughable. Oil was in a downward spiral well before the current gov. Depending on the size of your company, the businesses you and your friends run actually look to gain tax credits! Might want to think about how your assets can help you diversify your business. May be a lot of opportunites coming. One thing for certain, change is happening for better or for worse, whether that be from a provincial government, federal government, social and societal shift, economic shift....it's happening!

I could care less who says what and what happen where. i have been in business for over 32 years in Alberta and our cuts start tomorrow. I have a several friends in small business and they are in the same boat. If NDP stay true to there colours which is the most likely scenario we have rough sailing ahead unless your in a large union like alberta teachers. They are sure to have higher wages and better pension under NDP. Independent small business will pay for that and a whole lot more. Nothead said no to Northern Gateway what the fu*k do you think that alone has done to future invesment in the oil sands as of today. Dream on and go hug a tree you will have lots of time for your statistics over the next 4 years.

Last edited:

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look my company is tied directly to the Oil and Gas industries. When Nothead says she won't pursue the Northern Gateway pipeline this has a instant effect on Oil Sands investment. When she says she is going to "review royalty rates" this instantly effects investment in the patch. Lets me put it to you this way will you snow check a new sled if you don't know what your income is going to be? Ask any dealer how snow checks went this year with the low oil price. Nothead has just made a bad situation worse. Prudent company's are keeping their powder dry right now and that means doing only what they have to no discretionary spending. That effects me today. So it matter not what she has done its what she has said that effects most of us. Prepare for the worst and hope for he best is all we can do.
You're making cuts tomorrow based on what exactly? As it stands zero has changed since yesterday. I've been running my own small business since '98, and I am not changing anything. *shrug* Anyway, off to hug a tree... I find them more reasonable than most people :)

Reaction score
Look my company is tied directly to the Oil and Gas industries. When Nothead says she won't pursue the Northern Gateway pipeline this has a instant effect on Oil Sands investment. When she says she is going to "review royalty rates" this instantly effects investment in the patch. Lets me put it to you this way will you snow check a new sled if you don't know what your income is going to be? Ask any dealer how snow checks went this year with the low oil price. Nothead has just made a bad situation worse. Prudent company's are keeping their powder dry right now and that means doing only what they have to no discretionary spending. That effects me today. So it matter not what she has done its what she has said that effects most of us. Prepare for the worst and hope for he best is all we can do.

Ahh I think you've hit the nail on the head there....... Most of Alberta doesn't give a **** if you can snow check a new sled.... omg you sound like a spoiled child. Or just like the PC government.... entitled. You aren't. Most of Alberta is concerned with education for their kids, healthcare, and things of actual importance. 90% of Alberta can't afford to snow check new sleds every year.... I've never lived beyond my means... try it sometime. Get back to me when you can't pay rent, or find affordable housing... You refer to "most of us" when in fact oil workers only account for 10% of Alberta's workforce... You've evolved from someone I thought may have been misguided to someone that comes off as a selfish douche.... "oh my how can I have a new sled now!" cry me a ****ing river.

Reaction score
Breath Keith.....breath....and stay away from Ric, he's an enabler.

I'm not some party loyalist, never have been. Not some "leaf licker" either. Wouldn't be on this site if I was! Just a realist. Each election, at every level of government, I do a ton of research (as you have seen) and make decisions based on truth and what party I think will be best for the whole of society. I enjoy the good debates, sharing of information and having opinions expressed freely. When it turns to anger it's not fun anymore.

I too have a small business based here in Alberta for the last 15 years (I 've lived here my entire life). My clients are in BC, AB, SK and MB. Since Ralph Klein and the policies brought in at that time I have watched numerous of my AB based clients lose good people and many ultimately closed up shop. Although the BC government acts more like Conservatives (as someone from BC here has also mentioned) due to public pressure the demand to diversify their economy is high. As such, I have seen my BC clients grow and thrive to the point that 70% of my business is now out of BC. Interestingly enough where I am currently seeing a resurrection is in MB. My industry used to thrive in MB. When the economy took a bath, it wasn't doing so well there. Mid 2014 and now into 2015 I am seeing activity once again, and it's from several companies. MB has been diversifying their economy, supporting technologies that have existed for some time, but were left unsupported. From my perspective the current ruling party in MB is indeed growing their economy and adding jobs. SK plugs along like it always has.

My revenue is currently less than $500,000 per year so under the NDP's I will be privy to a 5% tax break. WOW! If they proceed to diversify our economy, perhaps there will be growth in my industry, that means regaining jobs that were lost under the years of PC rule, that means value added products being made in AB, that means attracting investment back into AB once again. Should my company ever grow beyond revenues of $500,000, if I have managed well knowing my tax rate will jump, 2% more won't break me. Used to be a ton of investment within my industry here in AB, but when the PC's dropped any support for it to pursue oil/gas full time, it all packed up and left. So the balance will come back! Oil and gas is big factor for this province for sure, but wasn't always to the extent the PC's made it out to be (or their corporate supporters I should say). Will be good to see some investment back into the other parts of AB's economy that used to thrive. Balance is good for everyone, every industry, all Albertan's.

When it comes to Northern Gateway, I think we all need to take a hard look at the project. There are/will be multiple law suits to try and stop it. So 1 to 2 years for everyone to build a case, file suit, get a court date. Then 1 to 2 years in court, maybe another 1 to 2 for appeals. 1 year for review to ensure the 209 conditions are met. You also need a BC government supportive of the project and they may have conditions to be met. 6 months to a year more? 7 to 10 years before a shovel hits the ground. Highest success is with the energy east lines and upgrading locally so the products are easier to get out of the province. Keystone XL showed us clearly how much pressure there is from the people of the US and Europe to avoid the perceived "dirty oil". This is where the AB PC's and Harper Cons messed up. They didn't embrace any environmental initiatives provincially or nationally and that made AB/Canada look even worse. Investors did not want to the associated with a jurisdiction that gave and even worse tag line to the term "dirty oil". If we showed positive environmental initiatives and a better track record, public backlash would have been much less and AB would look more desirable. Shot ourselves in the foot!

Your company cuts blamed on the NDP a day after they take office is laughable. Oil was in a downward spiral well before the current gov. Depending on the size of your company, the businesses you and your friends run actually look to gain tax credits! Might want to think about how your assets can help you diversify your business. May be a lot of opportunites coming. One thing for certain, change is happening for better or for worse, whether that be from a provincial government, federal government, social and societal shift, economic shift....it's happening!

Pragmatism at it's finest.... thank god!

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain Keith, and I appreciate your perspective here. A downturn in the patch is affecting a lot of people. We all new it was coming though. Boom and bust repeats itself. Even on this site we have seen some that made their money and ran, prepared for it and enjoyed it while they could. AB will suffer for a while and things will balance out...maybe not as much in the patch, but it will balance out. That may be a good thing for ALL Albertan's.

Just because I like to play the devils advocate, your snow check analogy is a good done. There is always a flip side right.......dealers make very little margin on new sleds. It's all in parts, and accessories. Naturally people are less inclined to lay out bigger, immediate wads of cash in harder economic times. Funny part is they will spend smaller amounts of cash but more frequently. Less of the initial pain, but more satisfaction of the buying experience more often. This will be on higher margin stuff at the dealers as we all chase the upgrades. May actually work out quite well for a dealer. May not gain new customers of their brand, but the current customers will support their higher margin items. I like to think it all balances out in the end.....and in my experience it usually somehow does....eventually.

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Top Bottom