My new ride

benf

Reaction score
Just got a great deal on this 2000 indy 500 classic touring. It has been sitting in a barn for the past 6 years and started right up after a quick plug swap and carburetor clean. Any tips/ tricks on this trail sled would be appreciated. Can't wait to ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would grease it, blow out the clutches at least and change the chaincase fluid. Maybe a new belt also. Looks like it is in nice shape. Enjoy and pray for snow.

bobalong

Reaction score
Nice, I picked up a 2001 last year. Had a few little dings on mine, but it runs well. I greased it all, put new runners, belt and plugs in it and run some Sea Foam through it. Has a crack in the seat, so will probably have to get the seat recovered next year. Had it out a couple of times this year, but waiting for more snow to get out ice fishing.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
This one is similar; a great sled with a nice soft seat and a high windshield. Good on those cold days. I explored most of the trails and basins when I first moved out to the mountains on the baby below. Chicken straps for some of the decents and a lot of poaching but hey I sure had fun on that sled.

100_1915.jpg

Dakine879

Reaction score
"Chicken straps for some of the descents and a lot of poaching..."

Please explain or show picture of "chicken straps" and "poaching".. please forgive me as I am relatively new to sledding.

BTW we need more threads like this and less involved in mountain machine brand bashing...

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Chicken straps for some of the descents and a lot of poaching..."

Please explain or show picture of "chicken straps" and "poaching".. please forgive me as I am relatively new to sledding.

BTW we need more threads like this and less involved in mountain machine brand bashing...

Poaching is using someones else's trails to your advantage. My understanding of chicken straps is slipping old belts over your skis to slow you down a steep hill.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Poaching is using someones else's trails to your advantage. My understanding of chicken straps is slipping old belts over your skis to slow you down a steep hill.

Right on! We used to carry old fan belts and wrap them around the front of the ski for extra braking. The old 1" lugs didn't doo much to slow one down.

benf

Reaction score
This one is similar; a great sled with a nice soft seat and a high windshield. Good on those cold days. I explored most of the trails and basins when I first moved out to the mountains on the baby below. Chicken straps for some of the decents and a lot of poaching but hey I sure had fun on that sled.

View attachment 180960

I really like the silver! My seat split at seam on my maiden voyage... I guess sitting in the barn dried out the thread a little so I'll be in the market for a new cover next year. Also put a new battery in and still just a single click when I turn the key. Guessing starter or solenoid? Thoughts? Good thing it starts second pull:) I picked up a new belt and thinking about picking up some new carbides. Anyone have an idea on top speed. I had it up to almost 70 today but felt like there was maybe 5 mph more. Running fantastic so far! Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the starter is going try giving it a tap with a hammer while pushing the button. If it does turn over then you'll just have to replace the starter

Top Bottom