My experience with the Tesla Model 3

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s about a 400 km round trip in my pickup. I travel twice a month to work.

Something I’ve been wondering, as a EV owner would indoor charging stations be something that would interest you???

Okay so I'll just use my lifetime average energy consumption for the math here to make it easy for myself.
Average wh/km over 125,000km is 181. Summer is probably more like 140-160 and winter is 190-220.
400km x 181wh = 72.4 kWh or 8.13L of gasoline (not sure if you're a diesel so I'll just use gas). 8.13L of gas at todays pricing is $16.
73kWh x $0.20 = $14.60 electricity cost if you were to charge at home. From a physics standpoint the cost of the electricity is nearly identical to the cost of the gas conversion of the electricity.

So lets say your house uses 600kWh/month. 600kWh is 67.4L of gasoline equivalent energy.
600 kWh = $120 from the grid
67.4L of gas = $134.80 from the gas station
But would 67 litres of gasoline run your house for an entire month? I don't think it would. That would be 720hours of generator run time.

So both cases are pretty similar in cost if you don't take into account the purchase price of a generator, maintenance, noise, etc.

Indoor stations... I dunno not really needed imo. When it's super cold out you just crank the heater while you're charging and it's nice to be outside in the summer. Solar roof coverings would be helpful to keep some rain and snow off but I don't think for the cost to build these days it would benefit anyone.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Must be a way to disable the updates if you really wanted to.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Must be a way to disable the updates if you really wanted to.
Yeah. Yank the SIM card and turn off wifi. I like the updates so I won't be doing this but if you were a hardcore conspiracy theorist and wanted to have a vehicle to drive in the apocalypse...

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You think the owner of the website www.liar.com would shut off all the cars if he was asked by Trudeau ?
They tried to get him to do it to Russia. California asked thier folks to not charge during the heat wave. If you think govt wont take that extra step of mandating in the future....you need to think about the last 2 yrs and what has happened.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely dont want to be walking for the apocalypse.

A guy could maybe get a horse 🤣

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They tried to get him to do it to Russia. California asked thier folks to not charge during the heat wave. If you think govt wont take that extra step of mandating in the future....you need to think about the last 2 yrs and what has happened.

I tried to marry Taylor Swift....

In a California heat wave if you could avoid charging during the peak demand when everyone in the state has their AC turned on it makes sense. If you have time of use billing and it costs $0.50/kWh at peak and $0.20/kWh between midnight and 6am, which time period would you choose to charge? You can plug your EV in when you get home from work and program it to charge at midnight. It's not like waking up at 1am to go to the gas station.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Alberta asked the same during the heat wave, even asked to shut off AC, fack that people can stop charging cars first,

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did anyone shut off their AC? Cause mine was cranked. Im sure Jason Kennys was too lol

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No I don't thinknhe would if Trudeau asked him but if you have learned anything about the corruption the last 2 months with the locking of accounts, arrests and the government strong arming, I'm sure they would figure out a way

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did anyone shut off their AC? Cause mine was cranked. Im sure Jason Kennys was too lol

I actually cranked mine up even more when they asked that lol. I also kept watering my lawn everyday last summer when the town screwed up huge and let heavy equipment idiots dig where they shouldn’t and ruptured a water line and had to truck fresh water in from other towns. I got a visit from the bi-law guy for that one, walked right into my garage to talk to me. I told him arrest me or get off my property or I’ll charge you with trespassing as technically the garage is inside my dwelling and he walked in without permission . He left without incident

Top Bottom