My experience with the Tesla Model 3

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are the benefits of this FSD beta deal ?

You Input an address and the car tries to do the entire drive itself. That means traffic circles, left hand turns across oncoming traffic, merging, driving in parking lots, etc. Still have to have a hand on the wheel and pay attention. Here is a current video of the USA version…

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That safety score thing is a dealbreaker for me.

I’m interested in some kind of ev though. Especially since I can charge it at work for ‘free’.

The safety score is entirely optional. In the US they offer insurance and can leverage your safety score for cheaper coverage. So basically if you want to drive very nicely you can have cheap insurance. If you want to have fun you can just pay whatever rate the insurance company you’re currently using charges. I’m at $1360/year right now with no demerits.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So basically we are going to have a bunch of cars doing exactly the speed limit on a 4 lane highway with everyone else trying to do 25 over? Or will the car autopilot over the speed limit?

Autopilot can go 150kmh on a divided highway. In autopilot it automatically moves back to the slow lane after passing a vehicle in the right lane. So it’s actually a lot better than most of the human drivers on hwy 2 between Calgary and Edmonton. On a single lane highway autopilot will only go 10kmh over the speed limit. If you want to speed you have to use cruise control on those roads.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got FSD beta this morning. I said "take me to Costco" and hit the stalk twice and it drove me there by itself. Now it's not perfect and I had very little traffic but it's pretty surreal to be driven somewhere by a robot.

IMG_1393.jpeg

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yikes! That’s two months of power consumption for my house. Not good.
Wait till the government says you cannot drive here, you cannot drive there.
One litre of gasoline contains the energy equivalent to 8.9 kWh of electricity.

1210 kWh = 136L of gasoline
So why would the government tell you where you can go and secondly why would you listen?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So why would the government tell you where you can go and secondly why would you listen?

Exactly. Or setup solar panels on your roof or in your backyard and generate your own electricity.

Don't think anyone is going to let you make your own gasoline though.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If youre not trying to pass emissions im sure the 95% pure chit will work lol

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What’s your average KWH per month???

Just doing the math with the figures you provided, a EV would consume more power in one round trip to get me to work than my home would consume. Yes my costs would be considerably less, but we shut down electric driven equipment at work for scheduled power savings.

Oh and I didn’t answer your other question, the power companies currently ask people to cut power for power savings, the government could mandate people to not charge their cars and not drive them.

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What’s your average KWH per month???

Just doing the math with the figures you provided, a EV would consume more power in one round trip to get me to work than my home would consume. Yes my costs would be considerably less, but we shut down electric driven equipment at work for scheduled power savings.

Oh and I didn’t answer your other question, the power companies currently ask people to cut power for power savings, the government could mandate people to not charge their cars and not drive them.

How far is your work drive and what vehicle do you use to do it?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If a guy had some land he could maybe setup a solar panel or 2 to charge chit up.... then tell Trudeau to eat a dick

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How far is your work drive and what vehicle do you use to do it?

It’s about a 400 km round trip in my pickup. I travel twice a month to work.

Something I’ve been wondering, as a EV owner would indoor charging stations be something that would interest you???

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The cars are updated wirelessly. If they don't want you to drive, they just get tesla to disable them

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yikes! That’s two months of power consumption for my house. Not good.
Wait till the government says you cannot drive here, you cannot drive there.
My house used 1057kwh in Jan for $202 all in with all the bogus charges (was only $73 actual power), would say I’d be pretty pleased if could drive 2600km on $220 give or take. I made that trip this winter in a half ton was about $550 one way. Now if I had taken my sons Passat Tdi would estimate 40mpg so $190 to make the trip prior to recent pump price increases, maybe electric isn’t all that great except for ludicrous mode… don’t know if charge stations just charge for the power or you get whacked with service / distribution charges Etc?

Top Bottom