My experience with the Tesla Model 3

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As the government is gleefully rubbing their hands together as people jump on the bandwagon then wham .50 cents a KW hour because roads need to be built and maintained . About at that point electricity wont look so green now will it ?Where is the road tax like gas ?WHERE IS THE ELECTRICITY COMING FROM? like a watermelon green on the outside , red inside! The great reset !

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So who pays for the supercharging? John Q Public out of tax revenue?

Yep. We are subsiding these EV's to make them viable. Government needs to get a road tax on them yesterday, it's BS.

Quite frankly I don't see why EV's shouldn't be run off the road, they aren't paying to maintain it...... only half kidding.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep. We are subsiding these EV's to make them viable. Government needs to get a road tax on them yesterday, it's BS.

Quite frankly I don't see why EV's shouldn't be run off the road, they aren't paying to maintain it...... only half kidding.

Without trailer brakes you'd only be half trying...

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As the government is gleefully rubbing their hands together as people jump on the bandwagon then wham .50 cents a KW hour because roads need to be built and maintained . About at that point electricity wont look so green now will it ?Where is the road tax like gas ?WHERE IS THE ELECTRICITY COMING FROM? like a watermelon green on the outside , red inside! The great reset !

Are you interested in trying my car when I get back to revelstoke?

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Saskatchewan has EV tax added on their insurance for that exact reason.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Saskatchewan has EV tax added on their insurance for that exact reason.
Yeah it was quite hilarious watching them whine about it too... $150 per vehicle. Which worked out to something like 15,000 km worth of fuel on a gas car, and 8,000km ish on a pickup.

It's definitely cool technology, they still have some really big hurdles to figure out though.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah it was quite hilarious watching them whine about it too... $150 per vehicle. Which worked out to something like 15,000 km worth of fuel on a gas car, and 8,000km ish on a pickup.

It's definitely cool technology, they still have some really big hurdles to figure out though.
$150, sign me up. I don't mind paying a road tax when they figure it out.

Tesla has increased the cost of supercharging quite substantially. My average supercharger cost for a kWh was $0.21 and now it is $0.28. Usually coming home from Revelstoke my cost is about $24-30 and my most recent trip was about $34. Distance is about 600km. My safety score right now is 97 and I need to be at a 98 to be eligible for the beta so it will be close.

IMG_1288.jpeg

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I think that now would be the perfect time to get an EV (actually 3 years ago) before they figure out how they will bend owners over...... eventually increased use will lead too increased demand on the grid driving charging prices up. Then they will figure out a road tax scheme to make sure they are "paying their way" and eventually the only advantage to an EV will be decreased maintenance costs. I would love a tesla simply for the performance but it would not work with my current driving requirements, maybe once I get back down east it will be a viable option.

$35 for 600km seems high for an EV - that's $5.83 per 100km still cheaper than a honda civic at about $9 per 100km at $1.65/L but I thought it was closer to $2 per 100km in an EV.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$150, sign me up. I don't mind paying a road tax when they figure it out.

Tesla has increased the cost of supercharging quite substantially. My average supercharger cost for a kWh was $0.21 and now it is $0.28. Usually coming home from Revelstoke my cost is about $24-30 and my most recent trip was about $34. Distance is about 600km. My safety score right now is 97 and I need to be at a 98 to be eligible for the beta so it will be close.

View attachment 253593
Am I understanding this correctly... you get a better rate at the Tesla super chargers based on your safety rating ?

If that is true, I'm not sure I like that.
Agreed the $150 road tax is peanuts, and I think you are one of the few that don't mind paying that.... but it does have to start somewhere. I'm pretty sure the government will figure out a way to add it to the supercharger stations and what not, at home charging would be more difficult.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tailgater eh lol
It's pretty picky but I did get cut off a few times between Revy and Canmore so I saved a hard braking but got dinged with following too close.

Am I understanding this correctly... you get a better rate at the Tesla super chargers based on your safety rating ?

If that is true, I'm not sure I like that.
Agreed the $150 road tax is peanuts, and I think you are one of the few that don't mind paying that.... but it does have to start somewhere. I'm pretty sure the government will figure out a way to add it to the supercharger stations and what not, at home charging would be more difficult.

Oops no the safety score has nothing to do with charging. They are only giving the FSD beta to people at 98 and higher. I basically have to drive 250km perfectly before Friday to have a chance.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that now would be the perfect time to get an EV (actually 3 years ago) before they figure out how they will bend owners over...... eventually increased use will lead too increased demand on the grid driving charging prices up. Then they will figure out a road tax scheme to make sure they are "paying their way" and eventually the only advantage to an EV will be decreased maintenance costs. I would love a tesla simply for the performance but it would not work with my current driving requirements, maybe once I get back down east it will be a viable option.

$35 for 600km seems high for an EV - that's $5.83 per 100km still cheaper than a honda civic at about $9 per 100km at $1.65/L but I thought it was closer to $2 per 100km in an EV.

True, but I'm not really setting too many efficiency records in the winter and on mountain roads. 60 kWh battery charging at home 0-100% is only going to be about $13. So technically in the summer and with good conditions I could probably be around that $3/100km. The best supercharging strategy is to charge the least amount you need and get back on the road (I frequently over charge in the winter just for a little cushion).

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder what my safety score would be on my wifes Kona EV. I keep trying to figure out why the "consider taking a break warning " keeps coming up lol.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got my 98 back. Just had to drive like a grandma for 700km. Should be eligible for the FSD beta now.

Also, wow tesla really cranked supercharging pricing. Went from $0.22/kWh to $0.50/kWh. For road trips it’s not a deal breaker but if you were relying solely on this method it would not be very cost effective.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got my 98 back. Just had to drive like a grandma for 700km. Should be eligible for the FSD beta now.

Also, wow tesla really cranked supercharging pricing. Went from $0.22/kWh to $0.50/kWh. For road trips it’s not a deal breaker but if you were relying solely on this method it would not be very cost effective.
What are the benefits of this FSD beta deal ?

pommie_git

Reaction score
That safety score thing is a dealbreaker for me.

I’m interested in some kind of ev though. Especially since I can charge it at work for ‘free’.

Top Bottom