Muskoka Freerider

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We rode in the Stewart area a couple times about 16 years ago. Stayed at Stewart Mountain Lodge when Dave Craig owned it. If I remember correctly, the first trip was in mid to late January. Snow was stupid deep. Lots of fun. Wouldn’t mind making one more trip there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were there last year. Was a great trip. We stayed at the Riplay Creek Inn. I don’t recommend it. No parking and caters to the heli skiers. The owners/workers were good, but a very cold feeling being there. Mostly Europeans so that’s normal for them.
It was always a fight with the heli skier company for parking, even saying to me that they rented the parking lot and we can’t park there. The owners said they do not and told the company this too.
The company did us a solid though. My son mousetrapped and smashed his beacon. I asked if it was possible to rent one from them for the day. After much groaning and a bit of a run around, with a $300 deposit they let us rent one. When returned, no charge and they didn’t run the card.
It’s a long ass trip that we did in 1 day (18 hours). Definitely would go again…in two days. Lol

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last frontier Heli skiing sure has a large tenure in that area . We were planning a trip over that way but highway 37 a bit further. But after some research it won’t be happening.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last frontier Heli skiing sure has a large tenure in that area . We were planning a trip over that way but highway 37 a bit further. But after some research it won’t be happening.
Don’t let the skier BS stop you from going. It’s still worth the trip.
When we went, it was the beginning of March.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t commercial tenure only prevent other commercial operations from working in the same area, not recreational users ?

for those that dont know the answer, but YES.

doesnt matter if your ski skinning, snow shoeing, skiing, hiking, snowmobiling.... you can go in tenured areas with your dam ice skates if you want.

pm;y ;egistlation closures will keep certain recreational activitives from accessing.

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not sure , it was a cold afternoon yesterday so I spent some time looking at their arcgis mapping and tenure licenses on the government website . My understanding is that they can control non commercial access during the winter months. we are more interested in Bell 2 area on 37 than Stewart. Colder drier snow but still plenty of it. And there are a couple of indigenous protected areas to consider.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not sure , it was a cold afternoon yesterday so I spent some time looking at their arcgis mapping and tenure licenses on the government website . My understanding is that they can control non commercial access during the winter months. we are more interested in Bell 2 area on 37 than Stewart. Colder drier snow but still plenty of it. And there are a couple of indigenous protected areas to consider.
Can you post up the site you're using for the mapping?

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you post up the site you're using for the mapping?
I can’t seem to get the government document to upload. It’s about 42 pages. Try googling , Mechanized Ski management for Last Frontier Heliski..Also the HannaTintina conservancy area and The Meziadin Indigenous Protected Conservation Area.

Reactions: zal

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boulder mtn area has been done to death . Haines Summit area would get my vote. altho lack of amenities is a major pain,but still in BC .

If I was going to ride Haines Summit, I would stay in Haines, Alaska. There’s a couple motels, a few restaurants and bars, and you can take a day off from riding and go on a fishing charter. One of my favourite places in North America.

0c792c45f1f02111887913983e7c836d.jpg

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was going to ride Haines Summit, I would stay in Haines, Alaska. There’s a couple motels, a few restaurants and bars, and you can take a day off from riding and go on a fishing charter. One of my favourite places in North America.

0c792c45f1f02111887913983e7c836d.jpg
Wowza…. That’s a 2500k trip one way

Top Bottom