Mountain sled on trails

12bruckd

Reaction score
Sorry for all the noobie questions, new to the sport this year and am trying to learn all I can. So, my question is can you ride a mountain sled (150"+ track) on the trails without ill effects? I ride in the UP of Michigan, so we do get a good amount of snow and I like to go off trail and don't want to get stranded in the middle of nowhere. I think my riding might be more heavy on the powder side and mainly use the trails to get to the powder. Would I be fine if i just put some scratchers on? Or would this type of riding damage the track? Also, would a 153 or a 162 be better/ would one be worse on the trails than the other or would it not really matter? Thanks for reading

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If its not a race on the trail, the longer tracks will ride smoother. If its a race, a short track will eat you for lunch. Yes the scratchers are a good idea.

• Recommends
Reactions: RXN

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The difference in 153 to 163 on the trail wouldn't be much if any. I would invest in some type of engine temp gauge if not already equipped. I recommend that over waiting for a light to come on. That way you can monitor and adjust speeds and put your scratchers down etc. Sometimes I just pick up the pace if I'm starting to run a little hot. Vs stop and put scratchers down, but that's just me!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry for all the noobie questions, new to the sport this year and am trying to learn all I can. So, my question is can you ride a mountain sled (150"+ track) on the trails without ill effects? I ride in the UP of Michigan, so we do get a good amount of snow and I like to go off trail and don't want to get stranded in the middle of nowhere. I think my riding might be more heavy on the powder side and mainly use the trails to get to the powder. Would I be fine if i just put some scratchers on? Or would this type of riding damage the track? Also, would a 153 or a 162 be better/ would one be worse on the trails than the other or would it not really matter? Thanks for reading

For your Upper Peninsula powder, you will be fine with a 153" track IMO. Your top speed will suffer using a mountain sled out east, as well as the taller track will cause you some headaches for cooling and hyfax wear. Turning is much harder because your long track sled will be pushing the front into corners, so expect to buy some aggressive skis that will offset the effects of the longer track. There are lots of people in that area that ride "crossover sleds" and they don't get stranded in the middle of nowhere if that is your concern. The area doesn't get powder like out west. A mountain sled may limit your riding season as the harder spring snow or any low snow conditions might cause you more cooling issues than expected. The mountain sleds are designed for deeep powder and elevation, you will likely have to change the clutching as most of them are calibrated for 5,000+ ft. You will be overrevving the motor at your elevation with stock clutching. You might want to look at sleds with tipped up rails, then you get the advantage of the longer track but the handling will be much nicer on the trails.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
144" is plenty of track. Probably the most versatile going from trail to powder. With deep lugs it should get you any where you want to go. Still plenty of them in the mountains.

12bruckd

Reaction score
thanks for all the replies, i would consider a crossfire, but i think it would be hard to find one with that length of track. Thats why i looked to mountain sleds and figured, why not just go all the way and get the 163. :confused:

butters

Reaction score
Personally I would just buy the mountain sled. I have seen many people buy the crossfire for the same thing you do with it, then spend hundreds of dollars transforming it into an m series a year later. You can trail ride an m series with no troubles, but mountain riding a crossfire isn't as easy.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I would just buy the mountain sled. I have seen many people buy the crossfire for the same thing you do with it, then spend hundreds of dollars transforming it into an m series a year later. You can trail ride an m series with no troubles, but mountain riding a crossfire isn't as easy.

Yup. Been there, done that.

12bruckd

Reaction score
looks like most say to go for the mountain sled, I even saw several mountain sleds on the trails this past weekend :)

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah definatly throw scratchers on i drive my 162 on trails sonetimes it can be hard to turn but its not bad. id go 153 thats goid all around good in deep powder and good on trails ive experienced it with my last sled

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need to seriously look at where you will be riding. If you are not riding at elevation, I wouldn't recommend a mountain sled - the crossover will do just fine. Some trail operators won't be very happy with you if you show up on a 2.25+" lug track, either. If you are set on a mountain sled, don't get the 162-163". Scratchers are a must to keep from eating hyfax on the trail, and track wear will be accelerated on hard pack surfaces. Simply put, trail sleds are for trails, mountain sleds are for the mountains, and the crossover market is for those who enjoy a bit of both. It wasn't that long ago that a 136" sled was considered a mountain sled. The turning radius is simply better on a shorter machine. Enjoy your new purchase, whatever it may be.

oldy800

Reaction score
You can def. run longer tracks on trails, i have 2 163" tracked sleds we ride in all snow conditions. Both have hiperfax sliders that i def would recommend for all riding ie: going up icy mountain trails, hard packed or groomed trails they are simply the best as running ice scratchers all day does not seem logical to me but if it works have at her. Be aware that riding hard packed/groomed trails is harder on the track as there is going to be some heat build up that can degrade anything rubber.

oldy800

Reaction score
Oh yes i def do with agree with Oneoldfart on this one i just cant afford 4 sleds so i do make do.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride my mountain sleds on the trails of northern Ontario just about every winter when I go back to my hometown. This is what I do- Add 2 grams to the primary clutch, I run the hyperfax sliders all the time anyway, I put on 2 extra sets of idler wheels on the suspension,and run with the scratchers down . It is amazing how much deep powder is untouched around there-until I leave anyway-. Ive been told-'You better get back on the trail,you are going to get stuck! HE, HE!!!! After the third season of riding my mountain sled beside the groomed trails and having an absolute blast,my brother ordered a mountain summit sled and his buddy longtracked his Apex.

Top Bottom