Motor Failure Due To Oil Pump Delete

CTWilly

Reaction score
So I removed my oil pump on my 04 800 HO and plan on premixing. An "engine guru" says that it will last maybe 2 rides 2 if i'm lucky. Says that one of the crank bearings will no longer get oil due to this. Says that a jug has to come off and a hole drilled in the case to make a passage for the oil. Is this true? He says that not all doo motors from 04 and up have this so called oil passage and it is a crap shoot for which motors have it. For those of you who have done this oilpump delete have you had any problems at all and how long have you been riding the sled with this mod?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bearings are lubed through the premix. Have over 3000 km on my 04 rev that's had it deleted since new. Also did it on my 600. Great mod even on a stocker. Those oil ports on the.back of the engine dump right into the open case. There are some brands that do have oil passeges that would require case drilling. Not your motor or skidoo in general. Run 40:1 and make sure you have a tube with a small resevoir for lubing the water pump gear and it will outlast a stock motor as premixing is much more consistant.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do it or don’t....but for a stock motor just recreational riding, I’m don’t know why you would.

At 40:1 when you’re running hard the engine is getting a lot more oil than it needs….hence why oil injection has the ability to run up to 200:1 and some as high as 250:1.

In the race world or for some mods it’s a different answer…most racers delete it as at long periods of high speed and higher heat oil pumps have been known to fail….so they premix, we ran Opti 2 synthetic oil. The dealer claimed they had guys racing running it at 100: 1, we had planned on trying it but we choose to run at 70:1. Would pull motors apart after a couple of races and they were clean and no signs of heat build up .....so the oil was doing it's job.

Like a lot of things I subscribe to the "if it aint broke, dont fix it." Not always but somtimes the manufactures now what they're doing.....

CTWilly

Reaction score
The reason I did this was due to the oil pump leaking and leaving a puddle of oil on my garage floor. The only reason. So this guy that told me that, was confused and thought I was talking about a Polaris. Everything is all good. Dont know why he thought it was for a polaris. Thanks for your comments. And Maxwell I did put the 440 bottle on. 40:1 is working good for you? Dealer told me 50:1. I think i'll run your mixture.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do the calculation and you'll probably be surprised what ratio it was running before. Not saying it's right, it's just most run really rich. I think I'm around 20:1. I run all my dirt bikes at 50:1, but I would probably do 40:1 on my sled giving it's ridden harder. Jet accordingly.

The nice thing about premix is:
1) You know your mixture all the time (provided you remember to mix)
2) You don't have to worry about the pump failing and you siezing your engine.

nielsy

Reaction score
how often do you see a pump fail? I run premix 40-1 on my seadoo and trust me sometimes it is a pain in the neck, when you are riding in a wake zone with max 5 mph it starts loading up and smokes pretty bad as soon as you are on the throttle it's fine, on everything that is raced you normally never idle around, remember 670s with aftermarket intake when idling for a while would load and smoke just my .002

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how often do you see a pump fail? I run premix 40-1 on my seadoo and trust me sometimes it is a pain in the neck, when you are riding in a wake zone with max 5 mph it starts loading up and smokes pretty bad as soon as you are on the throttle it's fine, on everything that is raced you normally never idle around, remember 670s with aftermarket intake when idling for a while would load and smoke just my .002

must be an issue with your seadoo.

it should never smoke with premix any more at one time than another.

at idle the motor receives less fuel = less oil

its perfectly constant from idle to redline

i have taken off over 10 oil injection systems and for some reason all my pumps are GONE. hot item as they do fail beleive it or not. i never have personally.

its not even that hard to premix. i fill up at the station and look how many litres i put in. then x that by 25 and throw that amount in the tank and ride.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly. I have 2-stroke dirt bikes and don't find premixing an issue at all. I get gas everytime I ride too.

As stated, the oil ratio does not decrease when idling. It just takes less fuel, but the ratio *should* stay similar or the same. Properly jetted it shouldn't be an issue. My REV smokes a bit if I let it idle for awhile too. Nature of the 2-smoke when the oil seperates from the fuel, or "builds up" and then goes through once you give it some go.

Not saying you have to, but there are benefits. I'm still running the pump, but I'd be pissed if my pump fails. I try to check often to make sure the oil level is going down at the right speed. This is done in hopes of catching it before running it dry. Then I can dump some oil in the tank and limp back to the truck.

must be an issue with your seadoo.

it should never smoke with premix any more at one time than another.

at idle the motor receives less fuel = less oil

i have taken off over 10 oil injection systems and for some reason all my pumps are GONE. hot item as they do fail beleive it or not. i never have personally.

its not even that hard to premix. i fill up at the station and look how many litres i put in. then x that by 25 and throw that amount in the tank and ride.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Agreed. I never truly understood peoples arguments for not premixing. It takes me just as much time to put oil in my jerry cans as it does for someone to put it in their tank. Totally consistent, all the time, every time. I also like not having to pack extra oil around, in the tank or the backpack. 1.2L of oil to 40 L of fuel and I'm good to go, only carrying exactly how much I need, no extra. :D

The issue with most 2 strokes and smoking more at idle is that the combustion temps are lower so the excess fuel and oil do not always get burned in the combustion chamber and get carried into the exhaust. Stock jetting is to blame for being too fat on the bottom end also, the factory puts a healthy "cushion" on their jetting IMO. I've always dropped a few sizes on all circuits from the factory specs and never had an issue. Lean it out and it will improve.

Also, you will definitely notice a cloud of smoke at 5 kph when it is hovering around you at walking speed, but you won't notice that same cloud at 50 kph because you are spreading it out over a much greater distance.

Premix all the way. Oil pumps fail more often than people think.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your just eliminating another mechanical system which in the backcountry is a good thing.

there are alot of bits a peices in the oil injection system which all depend on one another to function properly and if not the results are devistating.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maxwell do you have a pic of the small resevior set up you have for the waterpump bearing? I have 06 800 Summit

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
usually one two reasons the oil pump would leak...the hoses need to be replaced, or clipped so there are no cuts in the barb ends or the o-rings under the barb plates need to be replaced.

Other than that, it could be over oiling and filling the case and overflowing.

Top Bottom