Moisture in chaincase of 08 Nytro

chem

Reaction score
I have an 08 Nytro, and for the last 2000 km I have noticed that I am getting moisture in the chaincase. I have changed the oil, and after two or three rides (about 300 to 400 km) I can see that the chaincase oil is quite milky. I have not seen any oil leaking out of the case, but somehow moisture is getting in. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how or why so much moisture is getting in? Could this have to do with the "vent plug" in the chaincase being plugged/damaged?

johnsmithnf

Reaction score
if you store in heated garage and keep brining it in and out from the cold, moisture will condense and cause the oil to turn milky. Drain it and replace with synthetic every year and set the tensioner. Stick to the same oil.

bholmlate

Reaction score
The moisture is wicked through the breather if you ride is a lot of deep snow. Over on the TY forum this topic came up a couple of times in the mountain section. It can also get through the lower seal if the seal is bad on the drive axle. There is not much oil in the chain case so it doesnt take much water to turn it milky. Just change it with some good oil often and it should not be a problem.

Top Bottom