missing sledders in revelstoke

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just went out to the trailer and checked my spot for the first time this year. Sent myself an Ok and got it within 2 mins. Mine is working fine. The question i do have is they were looking for the vehicle, maybe thinking they were stranded on the highway? If they were located on frisby where were they parked that the vehicle was not spotted yesturday. There is only a few places right now they could haved parked. Next question is how did they get into the glacier cabin? Cause the nice guy that Alex is(not) allways keeps it locked. My group was socked in up there last year and we found our way to that cabin and it was locked. Doesn't Alex know that locks only keep your friends out. The door was coming down if i would have had to stay the night and would have repaired the damages but it was all about survival. So the question i am asking is how did they get in the cabin? or did Alex have a change of heart over the summer.

sled-fiend

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.raintek.ca
i just went out to the trailer and checked my spot for the first time this year. Sent myself an Ok and got it within 2 mins. Mine is working fine. The question i do have is they were looking for the vehicle, maybe thinking they were stranded on the highway? If they were located on frisby where were they parked that the vehicle was not spotted yesturday. There is only a few places right now they could haved parked. Next question is how did they get into the glacier cabin? Cause the nice guy that Alex is(not) allways keeps it locked. My group was socked in up there last year and we found our way to that cabin and it was locked. Doesn't Alex know that locks only keep your friends out. The door was coming down if i would have had to stay the night and would have repaired the damages but it was all about survival. So the question i am asking is how did they get in the cabin? or did Alex have a change of heart over the summer.

We parked at approx 3km line on the Frisby trail past the Glacier House where the grooming started at approx 10am. Nope the cabin was locked. We gained access into the bottom of the cabin. Once we were in I pried an axe between the hatch that enters the upper cabin and the floor. I had it open just enough to get the saw I pack sledding in there and cut the osb board on either side of the hatch. Once I had it cut it opened with one hit. I tried to cause as little damage as possible. So nope no change of heart:p

R

rembrn3

The spot tracker is a good idea, but the technology is getting old. The ACR personal locator beacon is a far better device. It is stronger and able to penetrate the cloud cover.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spot indicates when you have locked on a satellite, if it doesn't show that it has found one before you start sending messages, then it's not sending the messages...it looks like it is, the lights flash simultaneously as they say they should, but it's not sending unless it first finds the satellite. Hubby made that mistake a few times, but once he knew to do that, there were no problems transmitting. But, he could've sworn it was working and sending messages before that when it wasn't, all because he didn't wait for the lights to indicate it was ready to send. It really should show you if you're not transmitting, having the lights flash the same as if the message is sent really isn't a good feature as it does lead you to think that it is working.

If your unit doesn't show it found a sat, then you're wasting your time sending a message -move to a new spot and try to find a signal. I know with hundreds of messages sent successfully from us and our friends, it'll take more than a couple instances of it not working for others to change my mind about spot! Not gonna rely on it exclusively, as you shouldn't on any safety device, but from our experiences it's a great device.

Glad you dudes are ok!

SPOT Canada

Reaction score
Thank you for forwarding this post to us at SPOT Canada.

I would like to follow up with the individuals who were experiencing the issue to obtain ESN (serial #) information on the specific devices to see the history on the unit and research what actually happened.

As there are so many variables if a unit is malfunctioning (including environment, usage, recipient outages etc) I cannot answer the questions surrounding this issue without first knowing what did or did not happen.

In general, if you are experiencing any issues with your device please contact Customer Care at 1-866-651-7768, or customerservice@findmespot.com. Alternatively, you can also submit an RMA by going to SPoT Warranty.

Additionally I would also like to talk to the Revelstoke SAR, if anyone has contact information for these individuals please forward it to me so I can follow up with regards to their units as well.

Thanks,
Andrea O'Shea
aoshea@findmespot.ca

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We parked at approx 3km line on the Frisby trail past the Glacier House where the grooming started at approx 10am. Nope the cabin was locked. We gained access into the bottom of the cabin. Once we were in I pried an axe between the hatch that enters the upper cabin and the floor. I had it open just enough to get the saw I pack sledding in there and cut the osb board on either side of the hatch. Once I had it cut it opened with one hit. I tried to cause as little damage as possible. So nope no change of heart:p

dont tell him or you will get charged for shingles as well

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
checked my log last night and yes i sent an i am ok msg to wife on july 12/09 while on a bike ride so mine worked then left it out side last night for an hour in clear sky no message not satisifided so i took it for a drive in truck and resent again about 20 mins later msg recieived by mine and wifes phone so it is working i would personally like to thank spot for steppping up and joining this forum and appolagize for my rant last night

Huntley Quinn

Reaction score
RE: Missing Sledders in Revelstoke

Good Morning.
Thanks for all the information concerning this unfortunate incident.
I was glad to hear everyone was located safe and sound.

Until we gather all the facts regarding client's use of his SPOT unit in the Revelstoke back country, its difficult to arbitrarily make an assumption as to the cause of the failed message transmissions.

If I could obtain the client's SPOT ESN numbers, we can conduct some analysis from the hub side to assist in determining why the messages might have failed.

If the client plans to attend the Calgary show this coming weekend, I would welcome the opportunity to speak with them then and address any concerns.

If you have an unobstructed view of the sky, SPOT will transmit 98% of the time. To date, over 80,000 units have been sold world wide with 400 documented cases of 911 saves. All of the 911 saves were situations where the individual's life was in peril.

At the Edmonton Sled and ATV show on October 23-25, we had numerous sledders drop by the exhibit to tell us how SPOT saved them last winter in several situations that were very similar to what transpired in Revelstoke this week. In fact, many of them were in the Revelstoke area.

We had a lot of customer feedback on SPOT over the last year and that has assisted us greatly in the design and production of a new improved SPOT 2 unit.

Introduced to the market this month, SPOT 2 is 30% smaller and lighter, acquires faster GPS acquisition and offers improved message transmission. SPOT 2 is much more intuitive to use.

If you are an existing SPOT user or considering the service for use this winter and planning to attend the Calgary Sled and ATV Show this weekend, please drop by the exhibit and I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you on any questions you might have with regards SPOT.

And yes, after reading all the correspondence on this incident, nothing is
more important that ensuring family and friends have a detailed plan of your intended trip into the back country and time line for your return.

Regards,

Huntley R.Quinn
Distribtion Manager
Alberta, Sask , NT
Globalstar Canada

sled-fiend

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.raintek.ca
MISINFORMATION on my behalf!!!!

Okay I tried the SPOT last night before bed in thick cloud and rain. Worked Flawless! Tried it again this morning walking the dog, Flawless! Tried again a few minutes ago Flawless! I logged on to my SPOT account and saw the OK messages were sent on my night out BUT my girlfriends phone did not show the messages. Appears that her cell phone is the problem as the messages were sent to my email and my other contacts email. I apologize to spot for the misleading information on my behalf and applaud them for chiming in. I will also post this in general and on snowest to clear up any misinformation.:beer::beer:

SPOT Canada

Reaction score
Good to hear that your device is working!

It is extremely important for users of SPOT to familiarize themselves with their device. OK messages in particular may take up to 20 minutes to send a successful message as the device in fact sends 3 separate messages over the course of 20 minutes to ensure that if one was missed for whatever reason the 2nd or 3rd will go through.

If you can, when trying to send a message push the OK/Help/911 button then set the device down with the logo facing the sky (as that is where the message is sent from). Although the device can send messages from a pack or belt clip position, it does decrease the success rate as you or other objects may be blocking the signal.

Thanks for letting us know, all the best!
Andrea O'Shea
SPOT Canada

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to say that I am totally impressed with SPOT for getting on line and addressing concerns, this truly shows their caring and support of the product they sell especially when it's in such an open forum as this.

All too often some, not all, vendors don't step up to the plate when there are concerns with a product.

Great job SPOT you just made me change my mind, I will be purchasing your product for this up coming season.

Captain-sno

Reaction score
Well all ends well!!!

The guys where ok.....they had it together to survive....and the SPOT worked fine. A happy ending for all, and thanks SPOT for taking this seriously and responding...it shows class!

And just for the record...mine has never failed to send a message!

Vytas

Reaction score
I am sincerely glad that everyone got home safely from Revelstoke. With everything that happened in BC last year, I am hoping that 2009/2010 will be a much safer snow season for everyone.

I recently attended the Let's Ride Snowmobile Show in Vernon (Oct 16-17) where I had the opportunity to present SPOT at the BCSF AGM (BC Snowmobile Federation). A lot of positive feedback was received about our product and members did discuss how to properly use it; as improper positioning or synchronization could lead to missed messages.

I will be at the BC Snow Expo in Abbottsford this weekend (Nov 13-14). If you have a chance, come by and say 'hi' and check out the new SPOT! I would also like to hear about your adventures.

Regards,

Vytas Vaitkus
Distribution Manager
BC, Yukon
SPOT/Globalstar Canada

98sumitt

Reaction score
Good luck Sofaking...hope you can find them and they're in good shape!!! Decent weather to spend the night in if they were prepared for it.
A truck like that should be easy to spot and they should be in a common staging area if they didn't know the area well...but you just never know do you?
We got turned around in Revy last year, the GPS got us back on track...without it we were heading the wrong way! You think it 'feels' right when you can't see...but little do you know. The trail was so close to us, but the other way! Only time we've had to use the GPS. And after hubby helped out with a fatality deep in the mountains last year, we now have a spot.

Come home safe guys :)
Same thing happened to us on Frisby last year. Snowing hard, fog and getting dark. The GPS paid for itself that afternoon.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to see a good outcome from a bad situation...On another note where is the best place around the Edmonton area to pick up a new Spot?

Captain-sno

Reaction score
Glad to see a good outcome from a bad situation...On another note where is the best place around the Edmonton area to pick up a new Spot?

I will ask the guy at the show on Saturday for you. The older version is down to 119.00, not sure of the price for the new version.
I will either post or pm you on any location that has the new version in Edmonton. (London drugs, Best Buy...and many more carry the old Version)

On a side note, it looks easier to use, and has an extra message button and a confirmation that it has the gps signal. They take 3 batteries instead of two and do not last as long, maybe because they are transmitting a stronger signal and the gps chip set is the newer more sensitive one. sirf3 I believe.?? Works better in cover and canyons ect.:)

topomountain

Reaction score
As for the whole cabin issue it was my understanding that alex was allowed to build his cabin as long as it was accessable for all sledders to use in case of emergencies like this. So should it not, therefore be unlocked so some of us if we are starnded and need emergency shelter can access it in case we don't have a saw available or the strength, due to unforseen events to "break in".

SPOT Canada

Reaction score
The original SPOT is $119 and in addition there is a mail-in rebate for a $50 Visa prepaid gift card (this is only for SPOT1).

The price on SPOT2 is $169.99 and it comes with carry case, arm band and carabiner.

I will be receiving an updated shipping report by end of day today outlining which dealers have been shipped their preorders of SPOT2 and can post it when available.

Thanks!

On a side note I setup my SPOT2 demo this morning and sent an OK message - which was received in my inbox before I walked back to my computer from outside (less than 2 minutes). Very excited to continue to use the new one!

Andrea

Top Bottom