missing sledders in revelstoke

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
As for the whole cabin issue it was my understanding that alex was allowed to build his cabin as long as it was accessable for all sledders to use in case of emergencies like this. So should it not, therefore be unlocked so some of us if we are starnded and need emergency shelter can access it in case we don't have a saw available or the strength, due to unforseen events to "break in".

it would be interesting to find out the details of that deal.

Rizzo

Reaction score
The original SPOT is $119 and in addition there is a mail-in rebate for a $50 Visa prepaid gift card (this is only for SPOT1).

The price on SPOT2 is $169.99 and it comes with carry case, arm band and carabiner.

I will be receiving an updated shipping report by end of day today outlining which dealers have been shipped their preorders of SPOT2 and can post it when available.

Thanks!

On a side note I setup my SPOT2 demo this morning and sent an OK message - which was received in my inbox before I walked back to my computer from outside (less than 2 minutes). Very excited to continue to use the new one!

Andrea

I called Prairie Geomatics today ( Manitoba ) and they said it will be the end of the month before they see any of the Spot 2's. Is there any dealers out there that will have it before that? Let us know. Thanks,

hilinerider

Reaction score
it would be interesting to find out the details of that deal.

curious to find out what they were charged to fix the door? and i bet the door is the same and at what he charged us it a money maker to leave it locked:rant:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to hear that your device is working!

It is extremely important for users of SPOT to familiarize themselves with their device. OK messages in particular may take up to 20 minutes to send a successful message as the device in fact sends 3 separate messages over the course of 20 minutes to ensure that if one was missed for whatever reason the 2nd or 3rd will go through.

If you can, when trying to send a message push the OK/Help/911 button then set the device down with the logo facing the sky (as that is where the message is sent from). Although the device can send messages from a pack or belt clip position, it does decrease the success rate as you or other objects may be blocking the signal.

Thanks for letting us know, all the best!
Andrea O'Shea
SPOT Canada
I follow these instructions each time I send an OK message home, and have had 100% success with messages going through.

Thanks for your input and advice Andrea, nice to know someone is listening, and addressing customer concerns!

gsxr

Reaction score
I own both Globalstar and Iridium Sat phones .

Globalstar is only useable in certain windows , only when their good satallites are lined up, and it is at different times every day.
NOT GOOD IN AN EMERGENCY .
They say within 18 months that problem will be fixed.

Iriduim works 24/7 now !!!!!!! IT FLAT OUT WORKS !!!!!

SPOT Canada

Reaction score
I called Prairie Geomatics today ( Manitoba ) and they said it will be the end of the month before they see any of the Spot 2's. Is there any dealers out there that will have it before that? Let us know. Thanks,

I am just waiting to receive the shipping list, as soon as I receive it I will post the dealer list on here for your reference.

Thanks for your patience,
Andrea

Jordo22

Reaction score
modsledr: Any chance you could clarify which washers were missing on the M8? I have the same sled and want to make sure it's okay.

sled-fiend

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.raintek.ca
modsledr: Any chance you could clarify which washers were missing on the M8? I have the same sled and want to make sure it's okay.

If you look where the shock mounts you can see why it fell off. When the shock is mounted you need to have a washer on the inside of the bolt.

Attachments

• Coquihalla Revelstoke Nov 8-9-10 2009 037.jpg
    Coquihalla Revelstoke Nov 8-9-10 2009 037.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Coquihalla Revelstoke Nov 8-9-10 2009 038.jpg
    Coquihalla Revelstoke Nov 8-9-10 2009 038.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 81

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From quickly reading 8 pages of this, I think that everyone is on the wrong page with the SPOT issue. Being in the telecom industry, I have seen many transmissions to cell phones not go through, and it is not because of the sending device. The SPOT was probably working just fine, but the cellular phone that it was sending to was not able to receive the messages. This could be due to the carrier's restrictions, or the manufacturer's limitations, but probably not a failure of the SPOT. I don't have one, but they seem to be a very cost effective tool. I would recommend that anyone who is looking at renting/buying a satellite phone to either rent/buy a Motorola Iridium, or wait until Globalstar gets their **** together and sends up their new satellites. I have had some very bad experiences with Globalstar, and nothing but great experiences with Iridium. Just my 2cents.

Flange99

Reaction score
I bought the SPOT last year and have never had an issue getting a message out. There is no doubt that it takes some time for it to send the message but if you give it the 10-20 minutes it needs, you should have no issues. I was told by a techie that you can get away with a far weaker signal to send a text message than a voice message. It may not be far to criticize the Globalstar system if you are only using it to send text messages. I wouldn't trust it for sat phone service though. We use Iridium system for our sat phone and I would recommend it to anyone, but for the price, I will not go without the SPOT as well. Well worth the money to keep the wife's mind at ease throughout the day.

BTW, I find www.gpscity.ca to have great pricing and service. I can typically pick stuff up at their local office within 1-2 days of online order.

SPOT Canada

Reaction score
I've attached a list of all the dealers who have been shipped SPOT2 thus far.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Note that this was the initial pre-order of limited stock that we received, there are many other dealers who will begin to receive their orders in the next week or two.

Our full dealer list can be found on our Dealer Locator

Thanks!
Andrea
aoshea@globalstar.ca

Attachments

• SPOT-2 Dealers with inventory_111609.pdf
    520.8 KB · Views: 73
Top Bottom