March Conditions

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com
The head of Search and Rescue just called and asked me to let everyone on here know that the Renshaw Trail will be closed on Thursday for a recovery operation. Barry (bbtoys) and Rod (Adrenaline) and the rest of the Search and Rescue Team are just coming off the mountain now and will return tomorrow to finish their grim task. McBride is not a happy town today. I haven't talked to Barry since this morning, but I know the next few days will be very difficult.

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com
The head of Search and Rescue just called and asked me to let everyone on here know that the Renshaw Trail will be closed on Thursday for a recovery operation. Barry (bbtoys) and Rod (Adrenaline) and the rest of the Search and Rescue Team are just coming off the mountain now and will return tomorrow to finish their grim task. McBride is not a happy town today. I haven't talked to Barry since this morning, but I know the next few days will be very difficult.

The slide happened at Cushing Creek, WAAAY back of the Renshaw.

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a question, and I welcome the opinion of anyone who has knowledge regarding avalanche safety.

It has been my understanding that the more common areas that get tracked out the most, after each and every snow fall, are significantly safer than the more remote, and less traveled areas, where the snow can build up for several days or weeks before a powder seeking group explores there way in there to ride fresh stuff. Am I way off base on this?, or am I on the right track to understanding how to ride safely in these current conditions?.

I ask this question on behalf of all the riders that get scared or guilted into canceling well planned trips because of broad brush comments that ALL mountain riding is a death wish right now. If the recent avy was WAAAY back behind renshaw, perhaps thats an eye opener to stay in the common areas, near the cabin, and enjoy them the best we can.

Dean

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a question, and I welcome the opinion of anyone who has knowledge regarding avalanche safety.

It has been my understanding that the more common areas that get tracked out the most, after each and every snow fall, are significantly safer than the more remote, and less traveled areas, where the snow can build up for several days or weeks before a powder seeking group explores there way in there to ride fresh stuff. Am I way off base on this?, or am I on the right track to understanding how to ride safely in these current conditions?.

I ask this question on behalf of all the riders that get scared or guilted into canceling well planned trips because of broad brush comments that ALL mountain riding is a death wish right now. If the recent avy was WAAAY back behind renshaw, perhaps thats an eye opener to stay in the common areas, near the cabin, and enjoy them the best we can.

Dean

Although it is true that the more tracked areas are less prone to avalanche activity, because the tracks create a "lattice" of snow layers... but some of these areas do not get used at the key times, lets say it was socked in so bad, and no one cold get into a hill, then on a clear day, people take pokes at a hill and it goes.
From what I have heard, and I am not sure, if it was from a good source, but the group was having lunch and heard a 'crack', the rest was the tragic event.
Guess more will be released when the info is in.

I urge everyone to take an Avalanche course, and READ the reports. you learn once thought petty little things like, watch where and how you park, how to plan your trip, how to read the tell tale signs...plus rescue, and a lot more.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Second hand info not good. They were in an area that nobody should have been and almost all of us do not nor will ride and hillclimbing to boot. If we have to get blaster's in to make it safe just to find a body that should tell you, it was a bad spot.
Many good areas to play in, no need to venture into the death traps this year.. Off to bring a couple more home to thier families for clousure. Has been a terrible 6 days starting with Albert and now this.
Play safe.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Renshaw trail was opened this afternoon about 16:00. Good to go and the snow up top is very good, but stay off the steep and deep. Don't want a repeat of early this week.
Very safe in all the regular places that we ride.
For the record most all of the stuff that was said on CBC by that ----- reporter is BS. She was commenting on the empty parking lot, it was empty because we had the road closed to all sledder's and more stuff that I was yelling at the TV. We should not even allow the press to rescue sites.
Enough rant, if we don't see you on the hills this year, sorry to hear you cancelled your trip, will see you next year. Happy sled'n and be smart.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Dean

I would not hold a lot of hope on this being true, minimal at best and you are guessing at what is buried???? This year the slab failures are deep and even right to ground level, no amount of riding packs the snow that deep. Dig through a trail that has had about 20 sleds pass on it,far moe packing than the face of a slope gets. You will find you have disturbed the snow about 12-16", not nearly enough to compact weak deep layers that we presently have. If you are going to ride just pull it back a notch from what you normally do and stay off the steep chit.

elephant rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would not hold a lot of hope on this being true, minimal at best and you are guessing at what is buried???? This year the slab failures are deep and even right to ground level, no amount of riding packs the snow that deep. Dig through a trail that has had about 20 sleds pass on it,far moe packing than the face of a slope gets. You will find you have disturbed the snow about 12-16", not nearly enough to compact weak deep layers that we presently have. If you are going to ride just pull it back a notch from what you normally do and stay off the steep chit.

man i've been stuck afew too many times & I can't believe the sugar layers that exist within the snow pack its fricken rediculous right down to the ground on wind exposed SOUTHWEST slopes!!!!!!!!!!!!! less than a metre deep even these slopes are un-fricken-stable!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Renshaw trail was opened this afternoon about 16:00. Good to go and the snow up top is very good, but stay off the steep and deep. Don't want a repeat of early this week.
Very safe in all the regular places that we ride.
For the record most all of the stuff that was said on CBC by that ----- reporter is BS. She was commenting on the empty parking lot, it was empty because we had the road closed to all sledder's and more stuff that I was yelling at the TV. We should not even allow the press to rescue sites.
Enough rant, if we don't see you on the hills this year, sorry to hear you cancelled your trip, will see you next year. Happy sled'n and be smart.
I agree with the comment on the reporters, most don't know their arse from a hole in the ground, and most of those that watch their reports don't either. My buddies and I decided we'll wait maybe a couple weeks just to be on the safe side. I still want to get to Renshaw this year before season's end, as I really like the area. Thanks for the efforts and info.

Fullthrottle

Reaction score
Where did this avalanche happen? We always go back behind down the saddle and through the ladder. We go back where there's a little lake... Is it back there somewhere?
Just curious... We are hoping to head up at Easter.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As I said in another thread, if you go over the saddle not the ladder, at the top of the saddle look straight ahead, the deep valley that runs for as far as you can see, that is the Cushing watershed. Stay out of there as it is a death trap, no place to run if all goes wrong and steep slopes to let go. Will bury you 20 feet, that happens you wouldn't be having supper with your loved ones ever again.
So many good safe areas to ride in up there, please use them and I will join you for a beverage at the end of the day. THANKS

Last edited:

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta love the media, couldn't get the story straight even when it's printed out for them.

rev801

Reaction score
What location are these pictures from? McBride, Blue River, etc ?
What riding area are these avy pictures from?
Wow

Ripper700

Reaction score
It would be nice if there were a map available that showed all the names you guys have for these areas, it would be even better with some comments like this one to let people know that an area is a "death trap".. I would stay away from something like that if I could see it on a map b4 I went out. ;)

As I said in another thread, if you go over the saddle not the ladder, at the top of the saddle look straight ahead, the deep valley that runs for as far as you can see, that is the Cushing watershed. Stay out of there as it is a death trap, no place to run if all goes wrong and steep slopes to let go. Will bury you 20 feet, that happens you wouldn't be having supper with your loved ones ever again.
So many good safe areas to ride in up there, please use them and I will join you for a beverage at the end of the day. THANKS

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Up to Renshaw today, light snow and blowing, rode Anthills till 2:00pm then headed up and over to the main area to do the loop, 1ft to 1.5ft of new spring snow. I'll take you up on that beverage Barry!!

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am curling this weekend so you will have to come over to the Elk's, beverage for you tonight, see how easy it is to have good time all day long if you play safe and then a beverage with your buddies at the end of the day.
Much better than being pulled out in a body bag.
PLAY SAFE ALL

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
+7 today and sunny skies. Most likely ride renshaw tomorrow if all goes well. Need to deal with some gov. crap first thing in the am but if done early will go up. Post if I do.

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great spring snow this past weekend! Not the best weather, but still 1-1.5ft of new snow thru the trees and chutes was beat on. Higgins.

Attachments

• McBride March 2009 002.jpg
    McBride March 2009 002.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 39
  • McBride March 2009 008.jpg
    McBride March 2009 008.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 34
  • McBride March 2009 011.jpg
    McBride March 2009 011.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 27
Top Bottom