Magpie problem

Transporter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didnt look at that link but you just trap them and then do what you want it. The trap is a cage they go in for food and then cant get out.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have smurff put on a polk a dot bikini and stand in your yard:eek:

Ewww....yup, that would work. Birds would be gone, wife and kid gone, neighbours gone. Whole would be running screaming.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't want to kill them. Just make it uncomfortable for them so they move away. If I pull out a gun in the back yard, for sure my elderly neighbours would have a SWAT team here in no time.

Will try the CD thing maybe. If that doesn't work I'm thinking sedative in the dog food and a nice long trip out to the country.

To me it looks like the nest in the neighbours yard across the alley, but they hang out in my trees. Chased them out this morning and it has been relatively quiet since. Maybe they are getting the message. Either that or they are regrouping. Perhaps they heard about Reyeser and the bikini...shudder.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't want to kill them. Just make it uncomfortable for them so they move away. If I pull out a gun in the back yard, for sure my elderly neighbours would have a SWAT team here in no time.

Will try the CD thing maybe. If that doesn't work I'm thinking sedative in the dog food and a nice long trip out to the country.

To me it looks like the nest in the neighbours yard across the alley, but they hang out in my trees. Chased them out this morning and it has been relatively quiet since. Maybe they are getting the message. Either that or they are regrouping. Perhaps they heard about Reyeser and the bikini...shudder.

good luck with that chasing thing. unless they visit the mortuary they will be back as they have found a food source near your yard. may get a few laughs from neighbors swinging a broom running around the yard. send pics.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't resorted to the broom. Garden hose has been good. If my lazy a$$ dogs would get off their butts and chase the birds it wouldn't be an issue.

Video...hmmmm

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We live out of town, and I swear to god, we feed a clan of about 20 of them through the winter. I always wondered why our dog Indy went through so much food... Well now I know! They tend to flock off in the summer time though... Kevy was tracking down a shotgun this winter, but they weren't around so much since it was pretty nice out. I think that this fall there will be some dead soldiers scattered about the yard - I don't think mama (or daddy for that matter) will like having birdies wake up baby... :nono:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jeeeesh take the fun out it why don't ya!!!!

you maybe able o talk the modman in bringing out his potato cannon for a few test shots. or maybe a bit of his special chemicals. :d:beer:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jeeeesh take the fun out it why don't ya!!!!

you maybe able to talk the modman in bringing out his potato cannon for a few test shots. or maybe a bit of his special chemicals. :d:beer:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you maybe able o talk the modman in bringing out his potato cannon for a few test shots. or maybe a bit of his special chemicals. :d:beer:

The potato cannon is a great idea!!! just enough to knock 'em silly. Quiet too! Not sure about where the projectile would land though.

"Special" chemical won't work, it's just fancy ionic surfactant for treating mercaptan spills (the stuff they put in propane gas to make it smell like rotten eggs). I have a 45 gallon drum left over from a project if you want to try it. It's harmless to humans...and birds......unfortunately. Smells nice though.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what the he// you now calling me an ironic surfacant? what the hell is that, will i smell good, or is that how you get the ladies?:d:d:beer:

that potato canon will takeout those nasty magpies all right, quiet, unless you take out a window or two in town. brother in law was shooting golf balls and they were going through 1/2 " plywood at 150 ft, with just a shot of hair spray.:beer:

maybe you can rig one up to bring down those pesky cornices;)

inside

Reaction score
I would go with a trap, you just trap them and shoot them in the trap, dump it out. The poison in the dog food might end up being trouble, be it your kids or pets or the next door ones.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do just be discrete. There was somthing on the news last week when a guy found an "injured" Magpie in a trap. So what does he do when he finds it? Calls the media.

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a problem with 2 mating Magpies. They are either in one of our big Spruce or the neighbours. Can't find the nest. They sqwauk all day, pester the dogs, try to steal their food, chase away all the small nesting birds we have.

I can't shoot them living in the city, not that I would want too as I still think they are a neat bird. Just need a creative way to keep them out of the yard. These 2 are so sneaky I can't get at them with the hose. We have had Magpies nest here before, but not these 2, they are aggressive and wary.

Suggestions?

Just get TKO to come out, a few beer is all it would cost you, He will have them into Jerky in no time!

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Burn down the neigbors tree.................

i could have covered the whole left side of my screen so i couldn't tell who posted what and i would still be able to tell this is one of your posts. guess i shouldn't be surprised.:rolleyes:

Rubicon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't want to kill them. Just make it uncomfortable for them so they move away. If I pull out a gun in the back yard, for sure my elderly neighbours would have a SWAT team here in no time..

Weeeeeeell......you might have to take out the elderly neighbors first, then ammo up...and begin ......" OPERATION MAGPIE . tactical enforcement of the back alley, and into the neighbors yard, its gotta be done...:d

sumsupport

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Heard a funny one this morning.

Guy #1 is mad at his neighbour because when #1 came outside this morning, he could hear his cat meowing, and found it in the neighbour's yard, in a skunk trap. Said last time that happened, the neighbour hauled their cat 5 miles out of town and dumped it off. #1 is torqued, calls the RC's and the town, town says as long as the cat is tatooed and tagged, it has to be released. #1 has a "sure showed him" attitude.

Personally, I have a whole different take on this scenario... :eek:;)

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found many online instructions on how to build a blow dart gun. Some even specifically for "stunning" rodents and other pests.

Now the thought of a blow dart gun has me intrigued. Very stealth like. Even found one that you can build and uses an air compressor. Way cool.

I managed to get them pretty riled up with snow balls the other day. Now they leave the area when I come outside. Smart buggers!

Crow22

Reaction score
I would go with a trap, you just trap them and shoot them in the trap, dump it out. The poison in the dog food might end up being trouble, be it your kids or pets or the next door ones.

I agree with this completely. But don't shoot them in a trap. My trap has a door in it big enough for my arm to fit in. Grab a stick 1x1x about 15" long. Open the door & stick your arm in. 1 quick light crack on the head & magpie is dead, I can kill 8 to 10 magpies in less than 1 minute. The only noise is the magpies trying to escape the stick. Would work great in back yard with nosey neighbors.
If the magpies are eating the dogs food, just put the trap over the dog dish. Birds go in can't get out. Cats go in, take magpie out. Self cleaning magpie trap. Works great as long as dog or cat does not guard the trap.

Top Bottom