Magpie problem

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a problem with 2 mating Magpies. They are either in one of our big Spruce or the neighbours. Can't find the nest. They sqwauk all day, pester the dogs, try to steal their food, chase away all the small nesting birds we have.

I can't shoot them living in the city, not that I would want too as I still think they are a neat bird. Just need a creative way to keep them out of the yard. These 2 are so sneaky I can't get at them with the hose. We have had Magpies nest here before, but not these 2, they are aggressive and wary.

Suggestions?

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pellet gun ... is your best answer ... you can an owl decoy but it dont think that they work

Rubicon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it was me, my sons pellet gun would be in high demand..again...I hate magpies, sqwaking all the damn time, stealing food, crapping everywhere, not a neat bird at my house. Same goes for them ravens... me and my beer swilling neighbor have kept the population at bay for some time now...things are somewhat more peaceful..

grnboyz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you think they are bad now, wait a month or so until the chicks come, then you'll really be loving them even more.
Do something now, or else they are going to triple in numbers.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you could trap them but once you do good luck transplanting them you would likely have to put them down:d, Built a trap for my boss, once trapped he just used a sharp spear to finish the job:beer:

Snorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you could trap them but once you do good luck transplanting them you would likely have to put them down:d, Built a trap for my boss, once trapped he just used a sharp spear to finish the job:beer:

:eek:hahaha wouldn't shooting them been a little less difficult?

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my count last year was 6 but this year things have been realitivly quite so ive left them alone. not saying theres none around but there in the neibours trees and by law i can't do anything about them unless they are in my yard.
i agree get ride of them now or suffer the consiquenses later

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dog food and rat poison. problem solved :D i think i might have to build a trap myself, We have about 10,000 of them little buggers in our trees and they are starting to tick me off. They are to gun shy around here, by the time your out the door they are in the sky.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have to kill, put it on display, not to the neighbours but to the other birds.

On the advice of an old timer, I only had to kill one Raven to get rid a whole clan.

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put a rat rap with some peanut butter in the rain gutter on the roof. They will get what is coming to them. Not sure if it will work on magpies. But a I have a black bird issue on the acreage and read that hanging CD's would deture them. Found a couple old ones and hung them from the tree It has been about 10 days since they have come around.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a gopher trap and tie some fat to the centre pad with string and pour oyster juice on the fat and place on the groud under the nest. Your problem goes away in about a day per magpie :eek:

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Got a problem with 2 mating Magpies. They are either in one of our big Spruce or the neighbours. Can't find the nest. They sqwauk all day, pester the dogs, try to steal their food, chase away all the small nesting birds we have.

I can't shoot them living in the city, not that I would want too as I still think they are a neat bird. Just need a creative way to keep them out of the yard. These 2 are so sneaky I can't get at them with the hose. We have had Magpies nest here before, but not these 2, they are aggressive and wary.

Suggestions?

Top Bottom