MA new ride for a 14 year old kid

Prsledder

Reaction score
new ride for a 14 year old kid

I am looking for a new sled for the kid. Want to keep the price down. We were looking at one of the 2015 PTek summits originally . He says he wants the 600 RMK Pro. It will be a couple trips to mountains a year and the rest is flatland riding. I am thinking he can ride it for two years and then I wil get his sister riding it and he can move into a 800 then. A good plan? He has already been riding a newer Polaris 600 last couple years.

Last edited:

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: new ride for a 14 year old kid

I am looking for a new sled for the kid. Want to keep the price down. We were looking at one of the 2015 PTek summits originally . He says he wants the 600 RMK Pro. It will be a couple trips to mountains a year and the rest is flatland riding. I am thinking he can ride it for two years and then I wil get his sister riding it and he can move into a 800 then. A good plan? He has already been riding a newer Polaris 600 last couple years.
You would be better off with the standard model if you plan on riding it in the flats - the ProRMK has marginal cooling at best, you need good snow and scratchers to keep temps down when running to the alpine, so I wouldn't recommend it for flatland riding unless you add a cooler. Only takes a momentary lapse of attention and your new Pro will be a paperweight.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That was pretty much the approach i had when i started riding. Was on a 380 for a couple years then moved to a 500 for a couple years and then to the "big" sleds with a 670 and 800's. Learn the skills first rather than just rely on power!

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Comes down to what you think he can handle. On the flats a 600 or 800 are basically the same. In the mountains there will be some difference but maybe not that much at his weight. At 10 my boy started on a 340. At 12 he was on a 600 and at 13 he was on a 800. Every kid is different.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My 15 year old will be on his 600 rmk and if he wants the 800 no problem as his 600 rmk is a great sled even for me

Prsledder

Reaction score

My 15 year old will be on his 600 rmk and if he wants the 800 no problem as his 600 rmk is a great sled even for me

It's a done deal now. He doesn't want an 800 for some reason. He has been on my 800 pro before. He understands the cooling issues and knows when to put the scratchers down as I have poundedinto his head about watching temps. I figure in two years I will get a new sled and he can take over my 800 and his sister can ride the 600.

Thanks for for the input.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It's a done deal now. He doesn't want an 800 for some reason. He has been on my 800 pro before. He understands the cooling issues and knows when to put the scratchers down as I have poundedinto his head about watching temps. I figure in two years I will get a new sled and he can take over my 800 and his sister can ride the 600.

Thanks for for the input.

Funny you say that, I've been riding a 600 in the mountains for the past 4 years (edge, IQ and pro) and it took me that long to really say it was time for an 800. A light and skilled rider on a 600 pro can surprise and keep up to 800's in most conditions minus long pulls, crazy deep days. The fun factor of a 600 is high and made it tough for me to sell mine and buy an 800. Cheers.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I was really impressed with the 600 RMK and Pro RMK.. super gutsy like Gimley from Lord of the rings. That would be a perfect sled in my opinion for a 14 plus year old. They really have a lot of oomph for a 600 and are so light and agile, the power to weight ratio makes it a wicked fun machine in the mountains too. I used to take customers out on demo rides and when I traded my Pro 800 for the Pro 600 I was super surprised.

My friends at Wild Country Powersports have wicked deals on non currents right now! They are in Barrhead. (I see that you are in Alberta) Give them a shout!

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I was really impressed with the 600 RMK and Pro RMK.. super gutsy like Gimley from Lord of the rings. That would be a perfect sled in my opinion for a 14 plus year old. They really have a lot of oomph for a 600 and are so light and agile, the power to weight ratio makes it a wicked fun machine in the mountains too. I used to take customers out on demo rides and when I traded my Pro 800 for the Pro 600 I was super surprised.

My friends at Wild Country Powersports have wicked deals on non currents right now! They are in Barrhead. (I see that you are in Alberta) Give them a shout!

Do you have that awesome radio voice to go with that rant?

There are lots of options... best is to know where your kid is right now and where he might go. It has to be fun and not scary. I'd say at least start on a 600, but it you know he can handle an 800. Just do it, he will be there pretty soon anyway if he wants to really ride. Good luck and have fun, because he will be outriding you pretty soon!!

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Comes down to what you think he can handle. On the flats a 600 or 800 are basically the same. In the mountains there will be some difference but maybe not that much at his weight. At 10 my boy started on a 340. At 12 he was on a 600 and at 13 he was on a 800. Every kid is different.

Seriously???? The 800 will pull 100km/hr way faster than a 600. Fences can come up real quick. The 800 will get a kid places he should not be before he even notices.

I've seen quite a few kids on their dads old 800 who point it up and then panic when they realize where they are....
Progression is the key to learning.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Do you have that awesome radio voice to go with that rant?

There are lots of options... best is to know where your kid is right now and where he might go. It has to be fun and not scary. I'd say at least start on a 600, but it you know he can handle an 800. Just do it, he will be there pretty soon anyway if he wants to really ride. Good luck and have fun, because he will be outriding you pretty soon!!

Hahaha!!
11992421_10153176099262993_951845965_n (1).jpg

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Seriously???? The 800 will pull 100km/hr way faster than a 600. Fences can come up real quick. The 800 will get a kid places he should not be before he even notices.

I've seen quite a few kids on their dads old 800 who point it up and then panic when they realize where they are....
Progression is the key to learning.

Sorry pano dude I guess your experience and mine are different. My 600 Pro with my 100 lb 12 yr old is pretty close to my 800 Pro with my 200 lbs on it. Like I said every kid is different and it's their maturity and time in the seat that dictates how they will handle things. Hence why my 12 yr old will be riding that 600 Pro longer than his brother did. He is less mature than his brother was at that age and he is not as engaged in riding as his brother is. We all know our kids better than anyone else. There is no prize for them jumping on a more powerful machine sooner than they are ready. Just my opinion.

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com

My boy was 12 last yr first year in the mountains he was on my 09 146 800 by the end of the year I was letting him ride my 163 xm so sold the 09 and got him on a 163xm 800 he has great throttle control he's been riding quads bikes and skidoos since he was 3-4 we have 7 mountain days of riding this year already and we have Had no real problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I' m with TDR on this one! Depends on the kid, their ability, maturity, and related experience. It also depends on....the parent teaching them to ride, their patience, willingness to actively work with their kid to help them understand the consequences of throttle andbrake control, give them the courage and support to not try things they are not ready for, and ultimately the most important skill of all - to make good decisions! Both my boys learned on a z120 at 3 years old, rode with me in mountains around 6 or 7 while letting them ride slowly in a big safe meadow, and moved to riding 800's around 12 years old. When they started riding themselves they had to ride behind me and in front of my buddy so they were in constant supervision and I could pick suitable lines for them to follow. In safe areas they then we're turned loose to practice skills, worshipping etc. Both are great young riders. I never told them which slopes were safe or not as the rule was we stop and discuss it first so they could learn to evaluate terrain themselves. Ultimately a personal call as to type of sled given a lot of factors.

Pano, the 600's today are more than powerful enough to get any newbie without guidance into control just like an 800, as hitting something at 80 or a 110 can both be devastating!

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sorry... Autocorrect turned sidehilling into worshipping! Didn't, catch it! LOL!

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I' m with TDR on this one! Depends on the kid, their ability, maturity, and related experience. It also depends on....the parent teaching them to ride, their patience, willingness to actively work with their kid to help them understand the consequences of throttle andbrake control, give them the courage and support to not try things they are not ready for, and ultimately the most important skill of all - to make good decisions! Both my boys learned on a z120 at 3 years old, rode with me in mountains around 6 or 7 while letting them ride slowly in a big safe meadow, and moved to riding 800's around 12 years old. When they started riding themselves they had to ride behind me and in front of my buddy so they were in constant supervision and I could pick suitable lines for them to follow. In safe areas they then we're turned loose to practice skills, worshipping etc. Both are great young riders. I never told them which slopes were safe or not as the rule was we stop and discuss it first so they could learn to evaluate terrain themselves. Ultimately a personal call as to type of sled given a lot of factors.

Pano, the 600's today are more than powerful enough to get any newbie without guidance into control just like an 800, as hitting something at 80 or a 110 can both be devastating!

Sounds like you are a very responsible parent. Wish all could be that way with the kids. Enjoy the good times!!

Top Bottom