M8 or M1??

EmEight

Reaction score
Im guessing there has probably been a thread about this but i couldnt find it. So sorry if this has already been covered. But im wondering about possibly getting an M1. I currently ride an 09 M8 and i like it but would like more power. However im not willing to spend the money and boost it. Does anyone know the weight and horse power difference? And as far as handling how do they compare? I am not a hill climber, I ride in the trees pretty much 100% of the time. And what can be done to the M1 to reduce weight and possibly increase power. U know best bang for buck kinda thing. Anyway thanks in advance.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im guessing there has probably been a thread about this but i couldnt find it. So sorry if this has already been covered. But im wondering about possibly getting an M1. I currently ride an 09 M8 and i like it but would like more power. However im not willing to spend the money and boost it. Does anyone know the weight and horse power difference? And as far as handling how do they compare? I am not a hill climber, I ride in the trees pretty much 100% of the time. And what can be done to the M1 to reduce weight and possibly increase power. U know best bang for buck kinda thing. Anyway thanks in advance.

This sled here, is the only M1000 that I've enjoyed riding. My Boss Art built it, from the ground up.. Cr Racing tunnel, a whole bunch of stuff. I'll find a link to everything he's done.

Absolutely is an arm stretcher, and quite responsive. It is boosted, full race gas set up. That being said, I'd still prefer to ride an M8, but you're most likely much stronger than me.

You can keep a Naturally aspirated sled and still give it oomph..... how much gain are you looking for?

EmEight

Reaction score
Im not lookin for huge power. Just more than i have. Some of the reading that i did on the m1 indicated that the bolt on parts ( Y pipe, pipe , can ) had a much bigger increase in power on the bigger motor. Same bolt ons with the M8 made very little increase in power.

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same weight savings mods that work for your m8 will apply to m1000. Have you thought about the 10-11 800 ho m series? Same hp as a m1000 with good feel on the throttle and less vibration. Another thing to consider is modding your 09. The 09's respond great to just an aftermarket pipe and can be done without requiring a fuel controller. And clutching is a good area to investigate on your current sled as well.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother has an 09 m1000 162 with a cr tunnel. It's the black Camo edition. It has an MBRP can on it now but also has jaws twin pipes with boondocker box and boss seat along with Simmons skis and other stuff. Bet if you offered him around 7g you would get it all. Pm if interested.

craptabulous

Reaction score
Rktek head on your 09 to bump the compression up will make the biggest difference along with porting pipe and a controller .

If you have a m1 you will probably be doing the same thing anyway .

Since you ride the trees mostly your m8 will have the advantage , i beleive the difference in weight is 20-30 lbs

all that being said i love my m1000

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah the 800 ho puts out only 3 hp less than the 1000and you save the weight of the larger engine. The thing is when you put a full slp pipe kit with intake your looking at about 200 hp on the m1000 and you do loose weight. I personally run an 09 m1000 and don't get me wrong its a torque monster but sidehilling through trees is one heck of a work out.

EmEight

Reaction score
200 hp sounds awesome. I really need to ride one. I'm thinking that's the only way that I will be able to make up my minde.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah the 800 ho puts out only 3 hp less than the 1000and you save the weight of the larger engine. The thing is when you put a full slp pipe kit with intake your looking at about 200 hp on the m1000 and you do loose weight. I personally run an 09 m1000 and don't get me wrong its a torque monster but sidehilling through trees is one heck of a work out.

The "3" HP difference on the HO and the 1000 is only a paper difference and is what the HO owners will tell you in the parking lot or over beers late at night... LOL. The 1000 makes better torque much lower and longer in the RPM range, revving the 800 HO to a higher RPM on the dyno will get you the 3 hp difference only on paper due to the calculation. HP is simply math, torque is what you should be looking at. HP = (torque x RPM)/5252. If you can carry somewhat decent torque values past 5252 rpm, the math starts working in your favour to build "HP" (only really on paper though). Most 800 engines are well past the peak operating torque at this point, and since the flatter a torque curve is, makes an engine easier to clutch.

The 1000 made peak torque down at 6800-7250, and shouldn't really rev past 7700 as the torque falls away beyond 7300. The 800 motor revs over 8000 rpm and doesn't have the flat curve of the 1000. Snowest did an article on it, completed by an independent company. The 1000 made around 20 HP more than the 800 in this test.

800snopro

Reaction score
I ride with a buddy who has a 2010 m8 153 2 1/4 track and its stock. One of my other ridding buddies rides a 09 m1000 162 with a 2 1/2 track, slp y pipe, pipe, can, air box, and programmer. On any hill on any day the m8 will out perform the m1000. We've switched riders and still the same result. No better proof then that, easy decision.

Sent from my iPhone using

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride with a buddy who has a 2010 m8 153 2 1/4 track and its stock. One of my other ridding buddies rides a 09 m1000 162 with a 2 1/2 track, slp y pipe, pipe, can, air box, and programmer. On any hill on any day the m8 will out perform the m1000. We've switched riders and still the same result. No better proof then that, easy decision.

Well then somebody doesn't know what their doing with tuning & setup on that M1000, or they got silly and put M8 gearing in it. I had an '07 M1000 set up that way with SLP single set and stock 60/60 gearing. I sold it to go to a boosted Nytro ( that's another sorry), then replaced that with a 2010 M8 HO 153 stock. No how, no way will my M8 outperform the M1000 I had. Not a chance, not even close, not gonna happen! That 1000 was awesome. I should have kept it. I should have bought another one instead of my M8. Nothing wrong with the M8, but in no way does it compare to a set up M1000.

No better proof than that! :D

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have M's mine are CF's. Both 09s. One is an 8 and the other 1000. I find the 8 easier in the trees. The 1000 seems to dig more.

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The way i see it, If the 1000 was such a great motor dont you think it would still be in production?? M8 all the way, I smoked plenty of 1000's on my '11 M8. Plus, you already know you have a good sled in that '09. Why risk buying a used 1000 that could be somebody elses problem.

Reactions: RXN

EmEight

Reaction score
My m8 is a great sled no doubt about it. And I might regret getting rid of it. I have risen it for almost three seasons now. So at some point here I'll need to think about another sled and something different might be fun to try.

EmEight

Reaction score
The "3" HP difference on the HO and the 1000 is only a paper difference and is what the HO owners will tell you in the parking lot or over beers late at night... LOL. The 1000 makes better torque much lower and longer in the RPM range, revving the 800 HO to a higher RPM on the dyno will get you the 3 hp difference only on paper due to the calculation. HP is simply math, torque is what you should be looking at. HP = (torque x RPM)/5252. If you can carry somewhat decent torque values past 5252 rpm, the math starts working in your favour to build "HP" (only really on paper though). Most 800 engines are well past the peak operating torque at this point, and since the flatter a torque curve is, makes an engine easier to clutch.

The 1000 made peak torque down at 6800-7250, and shouldn't really rev past 7700 as the torque falls away beyond 7300. The 800 motor revs over 8000 rpm and doesn't have the flat curve of the 1000. Snowest did an article on it, completed by an independent company. The 1000 made around 20 HP more than the 800 in this test.

This is the information that I am looking for. Thank you for this post. Hp is great but torque is what I'm more interested in. Not enough to go to a four stroker tho. Lol.

Duramax11

Reaction score
I had an 08 m1000, MBRP can and a dalton helix. 2 of my buddies ran m8s, 09 & 2010. My m1000 would out perform them all day, we have switched riders and same results. Myself M1000 is what i would go for

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an 08 m1000, MBRP can and a dalton helix. 2 of my buddies ran m8s, 09 & 2010. My m1000 would out perform them all day, we have switched riders and same results. Myself M1000 is what i would go for
The m1 is too heavy it's an additional 18lbs and in those old style chassis you feel it, my buddies M1 felt great until I got my 11M8 then I thought it was a tank, definitely more torque but all around capability I liked my M8 way more, the bdx dd lite on the 1000 did make it feel a lot better and I thought the m8 gearing swap was a lot nicer than stock, both of us run cpc clutching mine had just a can and his the full slp exhaust so on paper he shoulda had 25more hp so getting the highmark was his all day but in the trees the 8 outshines the 1000, both of us thought the same and traded a lot, now he's on an xm 800etec and I'm on a 13 m800

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My m8 is a great sled no doubt about it. And I might regret getting rid of it. I have risen it for almost three seasons now. So at some point here I'll need to think about another sled and something different might be fun to try.

A couple friends of mine are running the '14 M8 and they absolutely love them! I personally ride a '14 XM and cant say enough about how good they work. If a new or newer sled is in the cards that would probably be an option to consider. The one fella is 300lbs+ and his stock '14 M8 rocks on er pretty damn good in the trees.

Top Bottom