Looking for Plane Wreckage.......

polarshell

Reaction score
I've been told that there is a plane that crashed (many years ago) by Whitecourt and it's supposed to be a great ride to find it. Anyone know where it is or even heard of it??:confused:

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's totally a shot in the dark, but check out geocaching.com

I would wager someone might have a cache out that way, as it sounds like a cool vista. The name of the cache would be a giveaway ('planecache' 'fallen plane' who knows)

It might work for ya, but I have no idea. If it does, you will have GPS coordinates to get there.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
There is a plane wreckage in crows nest pass is that the one your thinking of???....Whitecourt has a meteor crater

polarshell

Reaction score
I've never heard of this cache "ing" of which you speak lol but I checked it out and couldn't find anything.
I'm told it happened in 1950 or 1954....

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dead mans pass

looking for this...

nice ride some big hills,

and some big holes...

looking for "Bobbyo" on this site hes got all the info!!!

Attachments

• 100_0565.JPG
    100_0565.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 403
  • 100_0578.JPG
    100_0578.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 397
  • 100_0793.JPG
    100_0793.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 684
  • 100_0564.JPG
    100_0564.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 416

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never heard of the meteor crater lol but no, I'm told it's in the Whitecourt area. Hmmmm

There is a plane wreck near Whitecourt. Tough to get to in the summer due to beaver damns, muskeg, etc... but just off of our trails so very easy access in the winter by sled. It happened in '58 if I recall correclty and it was a mercy flight heading to Edmonton. All three died (pilot, medic,patient) and the pilot's parents are buried at the wreck with a memorial head stone placed there. The plane is still there - it's kinda an eerie place.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is the one in my pictures

Attachments

• 100_0755.JPG
    100_0755.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 672

gladerunner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dead mans pass

looking for this...

nice ride some big hills,

and some big holes...

looking for "Bobbyo" on this site hes got all the info!!!

Is this the one outside of Coleman Alberta,.do you have gps cordinates for this one?

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this the one outside of Coleman Alberta,.do you have gps cordinates for this one?

thats the one,, some great sled n in there

its in the middle to the right behind the trees I believe
south 001.jpg
looking to the left
south 002.jpg
and looking up
south 004.jpg

polarshell

Reaction score
There is a plane wreck near Whitecourt. Tough to get to in the summer due to beaver damns, muskeg, etc... but just off of our trails so very easy access in the winter by sled. It happened in '58 if I recall correclty and it was a mercy flight heading to Edmonton. All three died (pilot, medic,patient) and the pilot's parents are buried at the wreck with a memorial head stone placed there. The plane is still there - it's kinda an eerie place.

Do you know how to get there? If so, can you help me out- either directions or GPS

amunro

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
When are you going to try to find it? I have the coordinates on my GPS from when we sledded there this winter, but i dont have my GPS with me. My buddy and i were going to try to get there this summer too. Let me know maybe we can all try and tackle it together. Im sure Brew doo would come too if he wasent working.
I dont have any pics and there isint as much to see as there appears to be in some of the pics that someone put up of the crows nest pass one, but its cool either way. and the ride into it will be top notch
PM if your interested

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The plane wreck is a on a cutline a little west and two to three km north of the trailblazers lookout geocach. If you find it please remember that it is a grave site. It's way easier to get to when all the skeg if frozen up. Quadded there last summer but usually visit in the winter when out sledding.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

gladerunner don't have gps coordinates but at the Husky gas station you can buy a map for $10 that's what they did...on the map its all marked there three staging areas your looking for trail #43 that will lead you to the plane wreckage..

hope this helps

morerpmfred

Reaction score
There is another plane crash site in Indian Graves as well. Right about where the cross hairs are. Look up the hill on the trail about 100 feet or so.
ube7edy3.jpg

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been to that crash site about a dozen times now. but due to all the thieves taking souvaniers..i wont show anyone again..we buried the ashes of family of one of the men that died in that crash about 10 yrs ago..been back twice since, what a shame ,grave robbers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom