Life expectancy of a sled.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brand bashing aside i drove by a doo dealer the other day and noticed they had a HUGE inventory of used sleds. Lots of 163" and 154" with around 1300 miles on only a couple years old or not even and asking approx. 10k. I was thinking about buying a used sled (not necessarily a doo) but after seeing this it raised a few questions in my head.

How long is a new sled expected to last? What could actually be wrong with a sled that only has 1300 miles on it? Also i was guessing a new sled to run between 13 to 15k depending on setup and brand and figured if the dealer was asking 10k for these used one i guessed they pry only gave around $8500 for a trade in. So now me as an owner just took it in the shorts for $4500 + the increase in price on the new sled. To me it seems kinda high priced if thats all the longer the sled last, especially if there isnt any new technology worth having on a new sled from what they had a couple years ago. I would guess a new engine to cost around 1800 to 2k and if thats the case and there isnt any earth shattering new technology on the new sled you would still be ahead $2500.

Im aware of the changes that have come this year in the doo and poo so there is some new technology but thats kinda hard to swallow if the machine is only gonna last a couple years. Looking at these sleds i figure you guys living in the mountains put that many miles on a year almost, am i correct?

Anyways i was wondering what peoples opinions are on this topic. Thanks

Sent while not working too hard

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I still run my 06, i guess the life expectancy is all in how well its maintained and how big your ego is. Some people need a new ride every year im thinking about up grading to a proclimb next year but we will see my lil ol m7 still gets me to places i shouldnt be.

Maintence+rider=Life expectancy so i dont think your guna get a black and white anwser out of this question

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1300 miles (2000 kms) on a Doo is moving towards crank replacement. Anything over 3000kms needs a crank run out check pretty regular. some last longer and some go out way sooner (1600 kms for one guy I ride with). $10K for a 2 yr sled with that mileage in the 154 is dreaming IMO. Especially when they were running a SP special under $10K for a showroom floor sled. With the XM intro, the XP chassis is now the outdated model without the latest tech so it also kills some resale for the XP.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1300 miles (2000 kms) on a Doo is moving towards crank replacement. Anything over 3000kms needs a crank run out check pretty regular. some last longer and some go out way sooner (1600 kms for one guy I ride with). $10K for a 2 yr sled with that mileage in the 154 is dreaming IMO. Especially when they were running a SP special under $10K for a showroom floor sled. With the XM intro, the XP chassis is now the outdated model without the latest tech so it also kills some resale for the XP.

Every big displacement 2 stroke is moving towards a crank replacement from the time it is first fired up but for the norm 2000 kms is 1/4 to 1/3 of the way along so lots of life left.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So people have talked crank replacement, how bad for price is that?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So people have talked crank replacement, how bad for price is that?

Zeebers dont buy a 2 year old sled down there for $10000. That is overpriced for US pricing. You can probably buy a brand new 2013 Summit 800 Sport down there for $8900. Great sled to start in the sport with 151 hp in the XP. Not sure what a new Pro is worth down there ($10000?) but that is a great sled as well when they get there axle stuff sorted out which they will.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Zeebers dont buy a 2 year old sled down there for $10000. That is overpriced for US pricing. You can probably buy a brand new 2013 Summit 800 Sport down there for $8900. Great sled to start in the sport with 151 hp in the XP. Not sure what a new Pro is worth down there ($10000?) but that is a great sled as well when they get there axle stuff sorted out which they will.

I understand that. I was just wondering what a crank replacement costs cause if or when i do buy a new sled i want to know what to expect heading into this new venture.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A doo crank is about $400 but they are crap and really should be trued and over greased before you actually put it in the sled. Big John (sledhead racing) is in Minnesota and has a great rep with skidoo motors. If you're doing the crank you should do the top end as well so figure $1500 for it all if you do the work yourself.

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 2011 XP etec has over 2000km on it as of today and its runs really strong. I plan to run the rest of the season and either sell it or trade it in. The most excellent thing is my sled is one of the ones that gets a free top end as per the recall for that year. Dealer told me to run it till it blows before getting the top end done, if that ever happens. So whoever buys my sled will be good to go. I expect to sell it at around 2800km. I swear these etec's are bulletproof.

cat925

Reaction score
my 2011 XP etec has over 2000km on it as of today and its runs really strong. I plan to run the rest of the season and either sell it or trade it in. The most excellent thing is my sled is one of the ones that gets a free top end as per the recall for that year. Dealer told me to run it till it blows before getting the top end done, if that ever happens. So whoever buys my sled will be good to go. I expect to sell it at around 2800km. I swear these etec's are bulletproof.
Hey doo guy nothing's bullet proof but good on ski-doo for finally making a good motor and sled xm's only

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think he's asking about the disposable sleds.;)

I've got 7200kms on a '06 supercharged apex.:smiliestirthepot:

Fawk it......... maybe i should buy a yamasqua. Hell it would take me half my life to get 2000 miles on it since id be so damn busy digging it out, the miles wouldnt rack up real fast anyways! :smiliestirthepot: :D

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 12000 on a two stroke yamaha mmax never been touched so not shure it's a 4 stroke thing or just a yamaha thing

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fawk it......... maybe i should buy a yamasqua. Hell it would take me half my life to get 2000 miles on it since id be so damn busy digging it out, the miles wouldnt rack up real fast anyways! :smiliestirthepot: :D
Doesn't matter what you ride that is funny. I have one 800 ski doo that siezed a crank at 1200km and has 4700km on the replacement engine. Why did it last so much longer?

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 12000 on a two stroke yamaha mmax never been touched so not shure it's a 4 stroke thing or just a yamaha thing

I sold a 1995 Formula Z 583 a few years ago with close to 13000 miles on it. All done on Co-op oil and never touched the motor. I had to quit running that oil, one of the guys I ride with said the smell of my exhaust gave him heartburn…..?

Top Bottom