life and death question.

TheLonelyIsland

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How bad are they is the question? Is the truck 4x4? 4x4 goes a LONG way on half decent tires. But it really depends how bad they are. And a LOT depends on the driveing experience of the driver, especially in the mountains.

yah its 4x4 but the tires are mud tires that had been extremely worn theirs still tread but its flat so its like a racing slick and the one has really bad uneven wear! their useless in snow!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yah its 4x4 but the tires are mud tires that had been extremely worn theirs still tread but its flat so its like a racing slick and the one has really bad uneven wear! their useless in snow!

Ya it is probably a good idea then. Not exactly sure where you are but it's like what a 4,500km trip the tires are going to wear quite a bit, and a AT over a MT will see a bit better mileage to help ya anyways. But IMO I would try to find a good used set, there is usually quite a few deals around instead of buying new, will save quite a bit that way to.

TheLonelyIsland

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya it is probably a good idea then. Not exactly sure where you are but it's like what a 4,500km trip the tires are going to wear quite a bit, and a AT over a MT will see a bit better mileage to help ya anyways. But IMO I would try to find a good used set, there is usually quite a few deals around instead of buying new, will save quite a bit that way to.

its about 4,000 kms , never thought of buying used! thanks i'll tell him!!

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your going to Victoria, there isnt any snow there. I would be buying an all terrain or something, not snow tires.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well anything thats gonna get us their is fine!

Pretty much any type of tire with decent tread will do the trick. Especially with 4x4. But good tires is a very good idea for someone from out east with likely little to no mountain driving experience. If you take roger's pass and there is ANY snow, bring some books you'll be there for a while :p

Most important equipment on a vehicle is the driver anyways.

TheLonelyIsland

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty much any type of tire with decent tread will do the trick. Especially with 4x4. But good tires is a very good idea for someone from out east with likely little to no mountain driving experience. If you take roger's pass and there is ANY snow, bring some books you'll be there for a while :p

Most important equipment on a vehicle is the driver anyways.

my dads got experience , he once did it in a 77 chevy 2x4 full of people in a blizzard with no heater or snows.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so on average , when does bc start to get snow? dont want to spend $800 on tires to find out we dont need them. just dont know what to do.

can someone please answer my question..........is it/will be snow between the 24 and the 29 , between ontario and victoria? what are the chances of that area getting snow between now and then , between ontario and victoria?

face it Kid. You need tires. You never know what kind of weather you will encounter in the mountains this time of year. We we getting snow here in Bonnyville Alberta just yesterday. I didn't amount to anything but up at hight elevations It could have posed some problems on the highway.

Tell your old man to buck up and do the right thing.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been through the passes many times in September and hit with a foot plus of heavy snow. Really sucks for the cyclists and bikers!!

Get some used ones that will carry you through. Your Dad won't regret it should you get that foot or more of snow. It would cost more than the tires to get your trailer and stuff cleaned up off the highway.

Have a safe trip!

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are calling for snow on the coq the next few evenings. If you are travellinf that sistance i think it'd be chaeper to buy tires new or used rather than have a tire or two go flat due to being wore out and having to get vehicle towed from the middle of nowhere. Also if along the way you happen to get pulled over by a DOT and they see ur tires are toast they could make you get a set anyways. For me and i've lived in BC most of my life and drove alot of the mtn roads i wouldn't even think about makin a trip like that without decent tires.

TheLonelyIsland

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol i just showed my dad a pic of roger's pass bc but did not tell him what it was and he said "yah thats roger's pass" , thats how many times he has gone through their and he says thats the route were taking.

Top Bottom