levelling kit

jwood99

Reaction score
Hi I am looking at putting a levelling kit on a 1500hd crew cab but before I did I was wondering how it affects the handling of the truck, as well as traction going down the highway, will it be worse in snow/ice or the same etc. thanks

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put one in my 2011 dodge 1/2 ton I find no difference in handling or traction. The only other thing I am going to do is put a set of air bags in.

dano30

Reaction score
I got a set of air bags on my 2010 ram 1500 quad cab, makes a world of difference when hauling sled and gear on the deck, cutting fire wood in the fall. they are only like $120. from JB's for the kit and are simple to instal. they are only rated for 35psi but no more flashing on the highway.

Last edited:

willbarber1989

Reaction score
Will ride rougher, as well as front ends will wear 5x faster with a level in. Leveling kits for independent front suspension just cranks the torsion bars, putting major stress on your ball joints and cv's. Leveling kits work extremely well with straight front axle trucks (dodge and ford). There is a reason it costs twice as much to properly lift a chev compared to a dodge/ford. Just be prepared to replace front end components every year if your throwing one of these into a chev.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
will ride rougher, as well as front ends will wear 5x faster with a level in. Leveling kits for independent front suspension just cranks the torsion bars, putting major stress on your ball joints and cv's. Leveling kits work extremely well with straight front axle trucks (dodge and ford). There is a reason it costs twice as much to properly lift a chev compared to a dodge/ford. Just be prepared to replace front end components every year if your throwing one of these into a chev.

sorry, but you're wrong there.......... A proper levelling kit just relocates where the torsion bar is inserted into the key, and the key is more offset....... The adjusting bolt cranks in the same distance, and if you want even more height you can crank the adjuster bolt even more. Ride quality is exactly the same as before..... You'll have to adjust the headlites and do a proper alignment. We've done many, and not one complaint. Jus' sayin'

willbarber1989

Reaction score
sorry, but you're wrong there.......... A proper levelling kit just relocates where the torsion bar is inserted into the key, and the key is more offset....... The adjusting bolt cranks in the same distance, and if you want even more height you can crank the adjuster bolt even more. Ride quality is exactly the same as before..... You'll have to adjust the headlites and do a proper alignment. We've done many, and not one complaint. Jus' sayin'

Cranking the adjustment on the torsion bar will still put the ball joints at steeper angles than before, which no doubt leads to increased wear etc. There will obviously be a difference if you are trying to achieve 1.5" of lift vs 3", maybe if you tone it down a bit you can get the longevity and ride quality your refering to, but the trucks that I've seen and riden in, I would have to respectfully disagree with you.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
cranking the adjustment on the torsion bar will still put the ball joints at steeper angles than before, which no doubt leads to increased wear etc. There will obviously be a difference if you are trying to achieve 1.5" of lift vs 3", maybe if you tone it down a bit you can get the longevity and ride quality your refering to, but the trucks that i've seen and riden in, i would have to respectfully disagree with you.

you obviously haven't seen a 2-3" levelling kit then.......... The "key" for the rear of the torsion bar is offset quite a bit from stock to make up for the difference in the lift..... Otherwise, basically the same amount of turns by the adjuster bolt as compared to stock. And the ball joints are minimal difference. Ride quality is as stock..........

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about tossing one of these on my 2012 Chevy 1500. There shouldn't be any chance on how the truck rides, just the height of the front of the truck (almost the same as say a body lift). We'll see how the next couple weeks go, but might wait till the spring.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing no one has mentioned is on the Chev's technically you should run shock extenders if you plan on keeping the factory shocks.

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing no one has mentioned is on the Chev's technically you should run shock extenders if you plan on keeping the factory shocks.

If you go with ReadyLift kit, they come with spacers to go on top of your coil and underneath as well. That should keep the shock the same length no?

omullinger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive had no issues with my ready lift on my 2011 chev. Easy install and ride quality is still good. noticed a steering change but its from the tires.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a cognito levelling kit with new upper a arms in my duramax, rides about the same as stock and IMO it's the proper way to level a truck. I also bought new longer shocks instead of using hokey shock extenders. If you pay attention to the distance of the bump stops you get the idea of where you need to be. Cognito's website has a good explanation of the geometry of levelling a truck and what to look for. Educate yourself lol

Mikehunt

Reaction score
I have a cognito levelling kit with new upper a arms in my duramax, rides about the same as stock and IMO it's the proper way to level a truck. I also bought new longer shocks instead of using hokey shock extenders. If you pay attention to the distance of the bump stops you get the idea of where you need to be. Cognito's website has a good explanation of the geometry of levelling a truck and what to look for. Educate yourself lol

These work good except the ball joints they use are ones from and 98 1/2ton.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are the Cognito 1/2t balljoints actually wearing out or are folks just rejecting the principle of using lighter duty bj's? Just thinking their upper arm kit with better geometry / mechanical advantage over the spindle may result in less stress on the bj so they can get away with using a lighter duty part?

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish someone made a GM/Chev levelling kit that actually performed better than stock not just "as good as". I put the 3" Carli starter lift kit in my 01 dodge and it was like night and day better than stock, vastly superior ride for a reasonable cost. Doesn't seem something similar exists for GM IFS unfortunately (for reasonable cost).

Top Bottom