Let's talk GPS

Two Blue

Reaction score
Any thoughts on the best model/brand GPS for cold winter mountain settings? And the maps that come with or are downloaded for the Alberta/BC areas? Cheers

Hooligen

Reaction score
I have a Lowrance H2O, I think its a mid to low end as far as GPS's go, but its waterproof,(not water resistant) illuminated color screen, i find its farly user friendly, and its saved my ars on more than one occasion, so I can't say too much bad about it. One down side to it, its really hard to find maps for. If anyone has info on maps for it, hook me up.

Two Blue

Reaction score
I am not familiar with the Lowrance brand, however I have been looking at the Garmin models which appear to be the most popular. As was said above... i just want a reliable gps to save y ars. The E-trex appears reasonable in cost as well. Thanks for the replies...

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The Garmin units in combination with MapSource, IMHO, is the best bang for the buck!

The maps are awesome showing creeks/streams, contours, most of the older/main logging roads, and the other geological features (lakes, mountains, etc.). I have about 24 of the big topo maps
loaded into my 530Rino and that gives me features around Revy, Kelowna, Golden, Castlegar, and all of the south east corner of BC to the USA border.

As far as which model to buy, that is up to you. I have an Etrex Vista and a few in the Rino series (radio communication). I have heard that the new 600 series Rino's are having a
problem with the cold affecting the touch screen capabilities. Naturally, the various sales personnel have not heard the same!

Doo the research and make a decision.......easy peasy! :xmas2004_15:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All u need is where the truck is. Mabe a few way points of where to go and where not to go.... The rino frs radio-gps is the best.... The other guys I ride have them. If they get stuck or out of group they show up on the gps when they key the Mic....I have boulder males out, I have frisby males ( point by point along the ridges ).

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Rino 530HCX Really happy with it. The rest of the guys I ride with have the Rinos as well. As mentioned above, if you get separated from your group you can poll and they show up on your screen, which is really handy on those low vis days. :) :beer:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would go with the magellan 610 canada version with the high definition maps included. Great interface with the computer.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Garmin GPS Map 60CSX. It has been a great unit but I see it is now discontinued although it will do me for years to come. I have portions of the topo Canada and topo USA maps loaded in to it for my riding areas. It tracks satellites very well even in heavy tree cover. Battery life is about 20 hours. If the 62ST is the same or even better it would be an awesome unit. Bottom line imo would be to stick with Garmin.

robb

Reaction score
have the rino 530 and 530hcx both excelent models hcx hold card for more memery

X2 on the Rino 530 HCX. I've ridden in -30 and still had it functioning properly. I bought the backroad gps map for alberta to go with it. Shows a lot of trails and cutlines,with a lot more detail and accuracy than the pre-loaded map.

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if you have considered the Delorme with spot?? Love mine, really like being able to send out txt msg typing it on the gps and sending it out through the spot. As well as being able to call for help with the SOS feature.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=219

They also have a new inReach model but the plans for service seem to be a lot more then the spot plans.

Good luck in your search

Two Blue

Reaction score
The 62st in about 500 bucks with the BC and Alberta topo maps additional for 250 bucks. I am hearing good things about two way radio Garmins (Rino) as well. The SPOT technology is good as well and offers some great features. Martin MS are pushing the spot in Edmonton. I had a Megellan with limited use that went teets up after warranty.

m1000db

Reaction score
I have the garmin montana 650, purchased the back roads alta/bc map. Works great in the RZR, but wont know till next week how it works on the sled. I really like the fact that all of my trails easily download into google earth. Very easy to use.

Two Blue

Reaction score
Thanks.. I will try and follow up with you on how it goes. The Montana is a touch screen isn't it?

Top Bottom