Lenght of sled hanging off the sled deck

Reid

Reaction score
Caper11, I like the light you have rigged up. I went to napa to get the light and they didn't have anything like that. There looking into it for me but Could you give some more info on the light and how you made it up?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Caper11, I like the light you have rigged up. I went to napa to get the light and they didn't have anything like that. There looking into it for me but Could you give some more info on the light and how you made it up?

I'll pop into napa tomorrow and see if I can get a p/n for you.

Sent from my iPhone using

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like it would be hard on the rails. Kinda like the guys with short box trucks and a long track sled sitting up on the tail gate.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here it is.
3equgu3u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using

SLEDJED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has no one ever seen a logging truck before? Next time you see one on the road take a look, their loads stick out way beyond 1.2m and they go through scales and inspections. A red flag during the day and 1 red light at night. Bungee cord 1 of each to the end of your track and it doesn't matter the distance from your tailgate or lights to the end of your track as long as the load is secure and marked.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Loggers got their own set of rules;totally different than the rest of us.
Has no one ever seen a logging truck before? Next time you see one on the road take a look, their loads stick out way beyond 1.2m and they go through scales and inspections. A red flag during the day and 1 red light at night. Bungee cord 1 of each to the end of your track and it doesn't matter the distance from your tailgate or lights to the end of your track as long as the load is secure and marked.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I just run towing lights ( the ones that a tow truck would use ). They plug into my trailer plug and I bungie cord the light onto my track. Extra brake lights and signals with this option Pretty sure I got them at NAPA or crappy tire

Sent from my phone

SLEDJED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I stand corrected. Loggers are totally different. They require 2 light at night and 2 flags during the day if their overhang exceeds 1.5m. My bad.

Division 3
Log Haul

Definitions
103 In this Division,
(a) “fluorescent materials” means a material coloured day‑glo fire orange and includes retro reflective material coloured
(i) day‑glo fire orange, or
(ii) red and white;
(b) “licence of occupation road” means a licence of occupation road as defined in the Commercial Vehicle Dimension and Weight Regulation (AR 315/2002);
(c) “long logs” means logs more than 4.9 metres in length;
(d) “pole trailer” means a trailer that does not have more than one axle group and that
(i) is drawn by a towing vehicle to which it is attached by a variable reach pole, and
(ii) is used to transport a load that is capable of sustaining itself as a beam between a support located on the towing vehicle and a second support located on the trailer;
(e) “short logs” means logs 4.9 metres or less in length;
(f) “streamer marker” means a bunch of 10 or more lengths of flexible fluorescent materials, each length of material being at least one metre long and 25 millimetres wide;
(g) “two‑way headache rack lamps” means a system of lamps that is connected to the brake and signal lamp circuits and mounted on each side of the vehicle, 150 millimetres beyond the width of the load, consisting of
(i) one lamp on each side of the vehicle with double side construction having an amber clearance lamp facing forward and a red stop‑turn tail lamp facing the rear, each with a minimum combined lens area of 17 600 square millimetres, or
(ii) a set of 2 simultaneously operating lamps mounted within 50 millimetres of each other on each side of the vehicle, with a minimum combined lens area of 17 600 square millimetres in each set.
Exemptions
104(1) The following provisions of this Regulation do not apply to a commercial vehicle carrying long logs on a licence of occupation road:
(a) section 13(1);
(b) section 16;
(c) section 18(1) and (3);
(d) section 48;
(e) section 61;
(f) section 64;
(g) section 105.
(2) The following provisions of this Regulation do not apply to a pole trailer carrying long logs:
(a) section 37;
(b) section 48.
Overhanging load
105 Despite section 16, a commercial vehicle carrying a load of logs that overhangs the rear of the vehicle by 1.5 metres or more must have
(a) a set of two‑way headache rack lamps mounted on the power unit of the vehicle at approximately cab height,
(b) during nighttime, 2 lit red lamps attached to the back of the load, with one lamp being as close to the right edge and the other as close to the left edge of the load as is practicable, and
(c) during daytime, at least 2 streamer markers at the rear of the load, with at least one streamer as close to the right edge and another as close to the left edge of the load as is practicable.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran 2 lights that are tapped into sled deck wiring,that have hooks on them I just hang them on sleds rear bumper,when no sled are on the deck the wires rap up and I have a magnetic holder to hold lights under the deck at the leg of the deck.have had this for approx. 4 tears and have gone through check stops in b.c. with no issue. d

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think if your deck has lights mounted in them than the measurement starts from there.

I used to mount a light till I heard that from a bc deck builder.
I've never been bothered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I think if your deck has lights mounted in them than the measurement starts from there.

Correct

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

deck needs to have brake lights not just clearance/ marker lights

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
deck needs to have brake lights not just clearance/ marker lights

No it doesn't as long as there is a solid light. The biggest difference is if you put 10ft long 2x4 's in a 6ft bed of a truck then yah need a solid light at night or a flag by day.

A 8ft deck with clearance lights at the very back mounted on a 6ft truck bed gives you 2ft of overhang, if a fellow wants to split hairs and over think it than the red light has to be mounted on the snow flap of the sled. I see lots of guys with 6ft decks and a 163 on it, than the law applies.

Like i said I asked a BC sled deck builder the same question at the sled show and thats what he told me, to top it all off his wife was a RCMP member. Makes sence when yah think about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom