Legal To Be Offroad in Alberta

dschwindt

Reaction score
Hello looking to go riding with our cr 250 and crf 450R. What are the legal requirements to ride on crown land.

Thanks

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello looking to go riding with our cr 250 and crf 450R. What are the legal requirements to ride on crown land.

Thanks

According to the little card I got from the SRD guy you need:
Valid insurance
Valid Registration
Valid License plate
Functional Headlight
Functional Tail light
Functional Muffler
Functional Spark arrestor
For more info visit

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Legally all you need is insurance, registration and a plate. We go all the time and have had no issues with the "fellas". Our bikes have no lights so obviously daytime riding only! :beer::d:beer:
Usually sittin by the campfire after dark anyways .... although with all the fire bans so far we'll have to see.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you need a headlight/taillight on crown land. All you need to do is get a battery powered mtn bike light for the front and back at Mountain Equipment Co-op or something. It doesn't have to be good enough to ride at night, they just have to be visible from 60m away. You can even have it in your pack or pocket, as long as you have it with you. This is what a CO at McLean told me. I keep a photocopy of my ins and registration in a ziplock bag in my pocket with some asswipe. I leave the real copies in the truck.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you need a headlight/taillight on crown land. All you need to do is get a battery powered mtn bike light for the front and back at Mountain Equipment Co-op or something. It doesn't have to be good enough to ride at night, they just have to be visible from 60m away. You can even have it in your pack or pocket, as long as you have it with you. This is what a CO at McLean told me. I keep a photocopy of my ins and registration in a ziplock bag in my pocket with some asswipe. I leave the real copies in the truck.

I'm with Doc.....been stopped lots and never questioned on anything other than insurance and reg....none of the bikes have headlights and it's never posed a problem.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with Doc.....been stopped lots and never questioned on anything other than insurance and reg....none of the bikes have headlights and it's never posed a problem.

Probably one of those "a-hole" rules, you are nice and respectful, they ignore it, you act like an a-hole and they fine you for no headlight/taillight...

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i dont get it, if the bikes arnt sold with head/tail lights, why do we/you have to install them. Why cant it be like where you have an old car but restored with out seat belts (cause thats how it was when it was made) and still not required to have the seat belts instaled in them?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont get it, if the bikes arnt sold with head/tail lights, why do we/you have to install them. Why cant it be like where you have an old car but restored with out seat belts (cause thats how it was when it was made) and still not required to have the seat belts instaled in them?

Dirt bikes are made for race track law don't care if you got lites on the track....

Waxy

Reaction score

Yep, no lights = closed course racing. At least in the eyes of the law. Same goes for no spark arrestor.

I've seen several people ticketed at Maclean for not having lights, so despite the comments here otherwise, you're taking a risk.

They don't have to be fancy factory OEM, like was said, a simple bicycle headlight and taillight will do the trick, but techincally, they do need to be attached to the bike, not in your backpack. (Don't buy them from MEC, you're helping to fund their efforts to close down OHV riding in AB!)

The other big thing I've seen them crack down on is a spark arrestor, especially when it's dry and the fire bans are on, they take it pretty seriously. It's not a pretty ticket from what I hear either.

If you're out on May long, expect them to be REALLY sticky on the rules...

Waxy

dschwindt

Reaction score
Yeah I have insurance and all but no headlight on our CR250 and CRF 450 so will have to look at the mountain bike lights. Thanks

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have insurance and all but no headlight on our CR250 and CRF 450 so will have to look at the mountain bike lights. Thanks

For the 20 or 30 bucks it costs for some little ghetto light, it's worth it so you don't have to worry about any overworked/underpaid pizzed off CO taking it out on you for the 5 guys who just roosted him and took off.

Last edited by a moderator:

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
They do not really care that you can not see at night with a headlight as much as need you to be visible to others. All you need to do is show some due diligence and they leave you right alone. I just clip a little red LED strobe light on to the back of my chest protector ($5) at crappy tire. The first thing they will ask you for is your Plates, insurance and registration if you can produce that then your off and running unless you show attitude. A lot of people are still stuck on thinking riding the back country is a Right not a Privilege and if they sense this attitude they will make sure you PAY, at least pay for there morning doughnuts and coffee.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Well I read the regs for Parkland County and they do want lights and they need to be on all the time. Your plate also needs to be clean and visible to others at all times .... ya right! I'd be cleaning mine every 10ft. What a joke.
I like the idea of a light to clip on to yourself or the bike somewhere. I'm going to get something so my daughter doesn't get in trouble but from the mounties and peace officers that I've run into I seriously doubt they would give you a hard time unless they were getting a hard time! :beer::d:beer:

nurse_or_Mr.Pain2u

Reaction score
the plate must be placed at the rear of the bike or atv as well and not on a backpack. Now i was fined for not having my plate visible, and was warned about not having a tail light or head lamp. The fish cops i dealt mentioned that the placing the plate on my number plate would be fine. The important thing is stop when they wave you down and your experience with them will depend on your attitude- give em grief they'll give fines and annoyance, treat em like people they'll help you out.

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Legally all you need is insurance, registration and a plate. We go all the time and have had no issues with the "fellas". Our bikes have no lights so obviously daytime riding only! :beer::d:beer:
Usually sittin by the campfire after dark anyways .... although with all the fire bans so far we'll have to see.

You are mistaken, Headlight and tail light are a MUST HAVE to be legal, as well as the other stuff mentioned. The lights have been law for many years just never enforced, since 2007 they have been encouraged by the lawmakers to start enforcing the light issue, we have been checked many times over the years and all they cared about was the ins, reg, plate items but the past few seasons the lights have been an issue, I've watched them write tickets for no lights, having the plate in your back pack and not on the bike, having the plate strapped to the back of your roost vest and not on the bike, and one for not having a spark arrestor. I'm sure some officers are more lienient than others, you have been lucky.
I spent the money, about 150 bucks, bought a moose lighting coil, crf rear led tail light, and a ufo headlight assy and mounted it all on my CR in a hour or so. No issues since and it looks factory, and works great. I wouldn't waste my time with the mountain bike lights and stuff, do it right once and be done with it.

trials rider

Reaction score
sounds like a little anoying for you guys in alberta? nothing gets enforced in b.c. but im not even sure of the regulations here if any? my sleds and bike arent registered never have been i know that recently the c.o.s have been cracking down on unregistered sleds but never had a issue with bikes. hope it doesent happen here as well. some of my friends have liablity insurance just in case they do get in a accident of some kind at least they will have coverage.

riding season is gona be here soon

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like a little anoying for you guys in alberta? nothing gets enforced in b.c. but im not even sure of the regulations here if any? my sleds and bike arent registered never have been i know that recently the c.o.s have been cracking down on unregistered sleds but never had a issue with bikes. hope it doesent happen here as well. some of my friends have liablity insurance just in case they do get in a accident of some kind at least they will have coverage.

riding season is gona be here soon

I believe, and this should be confirmed, that as of last year, but more-so informcement this year, all off-road vehicles require insurance and registration in B.C now too!

Welcome to the Alberta way =)

Top Bottom