RZR OR MAVERICK?

scramblerX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im looking at buying either a Rzr 1000 XP or a Maverick sport (xxc or xmr). This is all around trail riding in Alberta trails, mud, hill climbing everything. I have no experience with can ams. What machines do you guys recommend? Performance and reliability is what I want. I'm not a hard core mud guy but it does need to be capable. Thanks

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had both and now have a hi lifter Rzr.
We had the older Maverick and found it hot between the seats. And I had bad luck with QE2 difs.
That was only complaint.
My hi lifter is a 2020 with 4000 km and am very happy with it.

scramblerX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks arff, I'm leaning toward a 2024 rzr 1000 or maybe the previous generation 1000 xp. Most of the machines I see on the trail are the 1000xp

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a Maverick as well. I was a BRP fan but what a piece of ch!t. Hot in the cab and overheated. Sold it and bought a Rzr Highlighter. It has been a great machine.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 5500 km on my Mav Sport XXC and it’s been 1000x more stout than my older generation CanAm. The same belt, clutch, ball joints, brakes, SmartLok front diff from the 200 hp turbo model plus with 2.5” Fox shocks this thing is quite overbuilt. I beat it pretty badly every weekend year round in the southern AB mountains and I just replaced the brake pads and lower ball joints as it’s very first repair. I frequently ride with a pair of XMR Sport Mavericks, multiple KRXs, multiple RS1s and the odd XP1000. The older Mavericks and Commanders are money pits and most of the major breakdowns have been XP1000. The other machines I listed are all extremely well made and can all keep up with each other.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 Polaris Rzr 1000. Have broken many parts over the years but they are a good machines, Would buy another one,
I have one too. Only parts broken are from a semi high speed roll over from the wife. We are more of a cruise the trails now though. Not the mud thrashers type anymore. Too much cleanup.

I'd love a new one but holy smokes they are pricy

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 218 maverick XXC so I can only speak for it. I haven’t been easy in it but I still think I’ve had more issues then I should have, the going from park to high gear and having it pop out of gear was an annoying one, then at high speeds it would decide to pop out of gear as well causing a nice grinding noise. To this day it burns oil, it was doing it from new. It’s gone through more wheel bearings than my Brute Force. It’s always over heating and like most brp machines I can always smell coolant. The one think I really hate is how noisy it is in the cab and as a few have mentioned the centre console is great to keep a coffee warm but don’t dare put a cold one there.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im looking at buying either a Rzr 1000 XP or a Maverick sport (xxc or xmr). This is all around trail riding in Alberta trails, mud, hill climbing everything. I have no experience with can ams. What machines do you guys recommend? Performance and reliability is what I want. I'm not a hard core mud guy but it does need to be capable. Thanks

i own a 2014 polaris RZR 1000
my old man as a 2013 Can Am Maverick 1000.

there both solid machines. i feel the maverick rides better in the rough roads and what not. The RZR is faster all around, from a dig and more.

RZR comes with a posi in the front, maverick does not.
Maverick sounds better in my opinion

nets are easier than doors at times.

rzr gets more dust in the seats than a maverick.

rzr has way more accessories in that respect

rzr easier to maintain fluids over the maverick

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i own a 2014 polaris RZR 1000
my old man as a 2013 Can Am Maverick 1000.

there both solid machines. i feel the maverick rides better in the rough roads and what not. The RZR is faster all around, from a dig and more.

RZR comes with a posi in the front, maverick does not.
Maverick sounds better in my opinion

nets are easier than doors at times.

rzr gets more dust in the seats than a maverick.

rzr has way more accessories in that respect

rzr easier to maintain fluids over the maverick

The Maverick did have better seats than my Rzr but that is the only thing that was better.
Posi is way better than visco lok.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've also got a 2015 XP 1000. Been a good machine, still more than capable for everything I want to ride. Biggest issue has been wheel bearings, I've done all of them once so far and haven't hit 4000km yet.

If a guy wants them to ride smoother on the trail look into the RZR 4 tender spring swap. Gives a couple inches of softer travel in the suspension before the tender springs fully collapse and the spring rate stiffens. I'm sure there's better options, but pretty hard to beat the price of this mod.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like others have said . Stay away from the older mavericks.
The mid engine is terrible to maintain and puts out a lot of heat in the seating area .
Front diffs are garbage compared to a fully locking system . IMO
Had a 2013 1000 and didn’t keep it long .

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've also got a 2015 XP 1000. Been a good machine, still more than capable for everything I want to ride. Biggest issue has been wheel bearings, I've done all of them once so far and haven't hit 4000km yet.

If a guy wants them to ride smoother on the trail look into the RZR 4 tender spring swap. Gives a couple inches of softer travel in the suspension before the tender springs fully collapse and the spring rate stiffens. I'm sure there's better options, but pretty hard to beat the price of this mod.
I added tenders to mine as well. Much better ride

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve owned Polaris Can-Am Arctic cat sxs. Personally, I wouldn’t buy a Can-Am due to warranty. You can buy a five year warranty with a polaris or arctic cat and your extended warranty covers, everything CV boots, wheel, bearings, bushings, etc. but not under a Can-Am under warranty. With can am warranty is mostly a joke. My Polaris razor and my wildcat XX there’s never been a question anything Worn gets replaced fully for five years except for the belt and brake pads

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do those 5 year warranties cost? I want a machine that doesn’t need warranty, screw bringing it to the dealer 6 times a year.
$2400 for my 1000 xx. 5yrs total.
2000 miles and still running strong. It’s a 2021. I had a 2018 1000 razor S put 6500 km on it with 30 inch tires. Two sets of arm bushings on warranty. Two sets of wheelbearings also on warranty. Other than that it was bulletproof. I’m just hard on can am because even under factory warranty it’s a fight most of the time. I also have a renegade 1000x that I’ve had to fix myself because they wouldn’t cover anything. Electric fan quit second Month on it and they said it’s because it got wet. Lol

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an x3 xmr 72”, just partially tore it down to give it a good cleaning and ready for sale. I must say very impressed on ease of disassembly, other than the seat slides and brake calliper brake pad pins. Easy fix for those 2 items

Definitely recommend the Can am, ride and capability of it I was very happy with, will do the couple little updates to my new one before it hits the trail

scramblerX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! That KRX 1000 looks like a nice machine too kinda big and heavy though. But I am definitely leaning toward the RZR 1000 XP

Top Bottom