Why can’t we ride ditches in Alberta?

Grouser

Reaction score
In Manitoba and Saskatchewan ditch banging is a way of getting in a fast ride, going and grabbing fuel or supplies, or heading to your neighbours. I know a lot of guys will chime in with the cops look the other way up here in Albertaville, but that doesn’t make it legal. Thoughts?

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In Manitoba and Saskatchewan ditch banging is a way of getting in a fast ride, going and grabbing fuel or supplies, or heading to your neighbours. I know a lot of guys will chime in with the cops look the other way up here in Albertaville, but that doesn’t make it legal. Thoughts?
what about speeding on a highway, not wearing a seatbelt, tinted windows, not wearing a helmet riding a bicyle (yes thats a bylaw here in St Albert)

Basically hail caesar (gov) like some people do......or Hail God......cant do both

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what about speeding on a highway, not wearing a seatbelt, tinted windows, not wearing a helmet riding a bicyle (yes thats a bylaw here in St Albert)

Basically hail caesar (gov) like some people do......or Hail God......cant do both

They made Christmas parties illegal ffs.

mikermz250

Reaction score
Depends on your county, never had an issue growing up in Leduc county rode ditches and fields every damn day as a kid use to ride right up to the Tim hortons in beaumont and go in for a hot choc.
No issues in beaver county or Camrose either
Strathcona county is a different story they don’t like it.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure about these days but riding through the little town Fox Creek on a sled was never an issue back in the day. Around home (north of Cochrane) we’ve been stopped before ditch bangin and read the riot act but never got a ticket. I think it likely depends on the officer and the sled pilots attitude….😬

EldestEldo

Reaction score
Totally dependent on the county, typically less busy areas don’t restrict it, I see tracks between 4 lane Highway outside Calgary, definitely not allowed, but usually when there is enough snow, the RCMP are to busy dealing with accidents to be chasing sledders.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode the ditches around whitecourt with buddies that are cops lol, nobody cares

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we ride the roads around 100 mile when i visit the parents still
once they plow them we quit riding them

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a funny night a few years back 4-5 of us ditch riding around red deer secondary road was 50/50 fenced so could ride into fields but on fenced we were 30ft from road we kind of noticed a vehicle following us thought we pissed off a land owner or something. Then when we stopped 50 yards into a field the red blue lights came on… cop said “hey you guys need to come over here…” one of the guys replied “no we are ok you can come out here” he blabbed a couple more time we fired up road away across the field never saw him again.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I honestly always thought it was legal. I know ATV's or sleds are usually fine down the back alleys in Bonnyville or Cold lake as long as you don't drive like a jackass and you go straight to or from your house to the trail. I've ridden lots of ditches in Bonnyville MD and St. Paul county and never had an issue. I have heard other counties are more strict nearer the city but have no personal experience.

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
County of Warner (county line under 2 miles from my house) you can ride quads, sleds and side by sides or dirtbikes on and 3digit road aka secondary hiways, as long as you don’t break the speed limit and have a brake light.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on your county, never had an issue growing up in Leduc county rode ditches and fields every damn day as a kid use to ride right up to the Tim hortons in beaumont and go in for a hot choc.
No issues in beaver county or Camrose either
Strathcona county is a different story they don’t like it.
Only time you’ll get pulled over is if they catch
I honestly always thought it was legal. I know ATV's or sleds are usually fine down the back alleys in Bonnyville or Cold lake as long as you don't drive like a jackass and you go straight to or from your house to the trail. I've ridden lots of ditches in Bonnyville MD and St. Paul county and never had an issue. I have heard other counties are more strict nearer the city but have no personal experience.
I was doing a four gear long distance wheelie in the ditch by Wabamun. I was around 40 years old. Using the banks of the ditch kind of like the berms on the sides of waterslide. Showing off my skills to traffic. But A county truck dropped in the ditch in front of me at about 60 miles an hour and cut me off. Telling me I could’ve killed somebody on my bike and fly up on the highway etc. I get it I shouldnt have been bagging next to a busy road. After a lot of arguing and ass-kissing I talked him out of a stunting ticket. He was going to nail my drivers license with a 6 demerit fine and tow my huskvarna. Over 40 years of ditch banging from bikes. Sleds Quads. Sxs. I’ve never been towed. Never got a ticket. The only time I’ve ever been harassed is when I was hauling ass and not watching out for white trucks lol. What I learned is if I ride normal around traffic they seem to drive right by me

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I take my family out in Cold Lake right from my backyard. We head up the street, cut through some undeveloped subdivision, then out in the fields and trails. Usually follow along the highways to get where we are going. Same thing on our dirt bikes the rest of the year. Bylaws say it's ok to go straight through the city to trails or gas station. I got stopped by bylaw once years ago waiting to cross highway 28 at the fas gas. He told me I couldn't ride in town. Told him I was just getting gas and heading to the trail, and he said oh, yeah that's ok. Glad he never checked me out because I was young and dumb back then and had no registration.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone rides the Ditch’s in my area. Me and my oldest son go every couple days when the snows good. We have two old phasers that are fun AF in 6”-1” of fresh kinda like mountain sleds in 2 ‘ of snow

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might depend on the person too. Growing up in Slave lake, we would rip the ditches all the time. We would stop at the sawridge truck stop for fuel all the time even when the rcmp would be there also getting fuel. No issue. Then one day a couple new cops had a bone to pick. Said nope. No ditches will be banged today. Made us walk home and get a truck to haul them home.

Top Bottom