Lay Offs

Reaction score
People that make $30/hr don't have to have a 100K into a truck and tools to do their jobs.

So... who's choice was that? People bitch about government, then cry when they have to have 100k truck to do their job, a decision they made themselves? Zero sympathy. Go work fast food then. A bus pass will get you there, see if you are happier.

Reaction score
When you have a $200000.00 +\- truck , and a ticketed HD mechanic I think the guy is very reasonable .
Ever hire Finning or JD to come out and fix anything ?

I've spent 4 times the amount on my education than it takes to get an average trade.... to make half (or less) of that they do. I'm not complaining, that's what I wanted to do. That's what I chose to do. Much like the ticketed mechanic that thinks he has it rough. One of the guys I worked in IT with for a long time now installs hitches at a U-Haul... and bought a brand new truck.

Anyway, I got this for you
worlds-smallest-violin.jpg~c200.jpg

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^^
I have no skin in this game as I am fine so don't paint me with your brush.
Nobody said anyone was complaining . Just a statement.
If you spent 4 times that on your education ? Good for you and as long as your happy all is good.

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^^
I have no skin in this game as I am fine so don't paint me with your brush.
Nobody said anyone was complaining . Just a statement.
If you spent 4 times that on your education ? Good for you and as long as your happy all is good.
But if you spent $800000.00 you have to be a slow learner?? Lol

PS . Or a lot of nice perks will taking your trade , education or whatever it maybe.
He's saying his education was 4 times more expensive than getting a trade, not 4 times more than a service truck.

Reaction score
^^^^^

PS . Or a lot of nice perks will taking your trade , education or whatever it maybe.

I seem to have forgotten my secret decoder ring, can you translate this to English for me? I'm a bit slow remember?

The violin wasn't REALLY directed at you, it is directed at any whiner who has had the "good life" for two decades and now complains about the decisions they made themselves, when the economy is in the toilet. What they are experiencing now, is exactly what the rest of the working world deals with every year. Welcome to reality.

I'm happy making less... I'm not lacking anything I want.

One 8 month certification course I took over a decade ago was just under 18k. That was one of 11 certifications just to get a job and be the low guy on the totem pole. That particular certification is SUPPOSED to be re-done every 5 years. HAHAHAH as if.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you saying those rates are down? Pretty hard to feel for anyone making that when many families live on half that every year.

WTF are you talking about? Does the guy making 30 pay his own WCB, benefits, liability insurance, vehicle insurance, business tax, cost for the rig etc? 60 doesn't go that far anymore after you pay all people that have their hand out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
WTF are you talking about? Does the guy making 30 pay his own WCB, benefits, liability insurance, vehicle insurance, business tax, cost for the rig etc? 60 doesn't go that far anymore after you pay all people that have their hand out.

WTF is THIS guy talking about.... is the guy making 60 forced by gun point to work his own truck? Run his own company? Sounds like choices to me.......

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much in your world should a small welding business charge for a welder and rig? I can tell you after paying all the costs it sure the hell isn't 30 bucks an hour. How much do you think goes into his pocket out of that 60?

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seem to have forgotten my secret decoder ring, can you translate this to English for me? I'm a bit slow remember?

The violin wasn't REALLY directed at you, it is directed at any whiner who has had the "good life" for two decades and now complains about the decisions they made themselves, when the economy is in the toilet. What they are experiencing now, is exactly what the rest of the working world deals with every year. Welcome to reality.

I'm happy making less... I'm not lacking anything I want.

One 8 month certification course I took over a decade ago was just under 18k. That was one of 11 certifications just to get a job and be the low guy on the totem pole. That particular certification is SUPPOSED to be re-done every 5 years. HAHAHAH as if.

You sure don't sound happy, except about the fact some people are gonna experience tough times, yiou do sound happy about that.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much in your world should a small welding business charge for a welder and rig? I can tell you after paying all the costs it sure the hell isn't 30 bucks an hour. How much do you think goes into his pocket out of that 60?

I wouldn't bother trying, some just don't understand.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

$60/hr probably lucky to break even if he is buying his own consumables and fuel. Would hope that he has some banked for tough times after making $600-$800/day plus $120/hr for his truck before the bust though.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He really doesn't sound happy ,maybe thats due to those choices he keeps talking about.(made the wrong ones obviously).
You sure don't sound happy, except about the fact some people are gonna experience tough times, yiou do sound happy about that.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup an IT guy lol

Bingo! Maybe when the time comes and his supervisor says if yah wanna stay working we have to cut your rate 10 bucks a hour or go to work somewhere else, he'll understand.

Reaction score
$60/hr probably lucky to break even if he is buying his own consumables and fuel. Would hope that he has some banked for tough times after making $600-$800/day plus $120/hr for his truck before the bust though.

To steal a quote:

"I wouldn't bother, some just wouldn't understand."

Mostly that would be the grade 9 drop outs who got a welding ticket, but no idea how to save some of their cash.

Reaction score
Bingo! Maybe when the time comes and his supervisor says if yah wanna stay working we have to cut your rate 10 bucks a hour or go to work somewhere else, he'll understand.

You think that never happens in IT? haha IT is one of the most volatile fields someone can work in. Technology changes faster than you might comprehend. So the *NEXT* time that happens. Like it has in the past, I will go work for $10/hour in the retail sector, building computers like a robot, until something better comes along. Like I have done previously.

The only difference from my perspective will be the amount of Kraft Dinner we eat, in the short term. Life goes on.

Top Bottom