Lay Offs

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We wont have to shut out the lights no coal fired power plants remamber.
don't worry they will hire lots of people for zone c damb in BC... then when they figure out no one's left to send the power too in AB... you can turn of the lights and Calafornia can kick up the ac A/C for next to nothing

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And who needs transAlta sundance 7 1.6 billion dollar power generation plant anyway. They had brains enough to pull out a couple of weeks ago.
Decomissioning of Sundance has been planned for years (old and out of date). Last year electricity generated by natural gas surpassed coal fired electrical generation in the USA. We do have several other coal operations in Alberta (Sheerness, Battle River, Genesee and Keephills) - they will all operate for years to come.

A a problem with coal generation is the massive transmission infrastructure required (big losses in efficiency). More local natural gas electrical generation is better, cleaner, safer and different types of jobs (more skilled) are required. Probably a net loss in jobs though.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now I am confused.. how can it be old and out of date when it is not even built yet? One second thought don't even answer that one, everything is becoming a lot clearer for me now.

Last edited:

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now I am confused.. how can it be old and out of date when it is not even built yet? One second thought don't even answer that one, everything is becoming a lot clearer for me now.

The one you are referencing is I believe phase 7, there is existing infrastructure.

Ol' Sarge

Reaction score
Sundance 1-6 are still operating according to http://ets.aeso.ca/ets_web/ip/Market/Reports/CSDReportServlet this shows what everyone is making for power in real time. Is there a different sundance somewhere else? Or was a specific part of the plant decommissioned?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You're correct. I think only 4 units of Sundance 1-6 are still online on the south side of Wabamun Lake. We can assume that the remaining units will not be repaired/replaced as they reach end of cycle. Sundance 7 was the proposed gas-fired generation that has now been shelved. The decommissioned plant was the old Wabamun generating station on the north shore.

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you are right. The Wabamun Plant is down with a couple Sundance Units. I think Keephills has two Units running. No hope of any new units anymore. Keephills might have had most of the equipment on site for Units 3 and 4 back in the 80's.

Ol' Sarge

Reaction score
And the taxpayers of Alberta were just fleeced by the outgoing PC gov't for $16 billion worth of new transmission lines for their friends at Atco and AltaLink. Now the lines are no longer needed as any new gas-fired generation will be built near the demand load. It's stunning how much of our money politicians can waste just to implement a particular philosophy.

Bigblack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last week Alberta's new energy minister explained that all the out of work oil workers from Ab can go work in BC. Fuctard. Alberta

And today: Saudi (OPEC) announced that they are NOT going to curb their current production of 31.5 million bbls a day and will continue to flood the market with cheap oil in order to keep their market share. More layoffs coming.

Last edited:

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awful statistic - people need to hang in there and get the help they need, this isn't going to end for another 12 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom