Lay Offs

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To steal a quote:

"I wouldn't bother, some just wouldn't understand."

Mostly that would be the grade 9 drop outs who got a welding ticket, but no idea how to save some of their cash.
Ease up on the welders! All i know is i got to lay off 4 more guys today! That will bring my grand total to 32 guys from a shop that had 36 a year ago, this sucks and hope to hell it smartens up soon! I would hate to lay myself off lol

Reaction score
Your a piece of work, you really don't understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You demonstrate your ignorance, yet I'm the piece of work.....? Okay. How can anyone take an opinion seriously from a guy that can't distinguish between "your" and "you're".....

2.png

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You think that never happens in IT? haha IT is one of the most volatile fields someone can work in. Technology changes faster than you might comprehend. So the *NEXT* time that happens. Like it has in the past, I will go work for $10/hour in the retail sector, building computers like a robot, until something better comes along. Like I have done previously.

The only difference from my perspective will be the amount of Kraft Dinner we eat, in the short term. Life goes on.

Is you handle from the song from Clutch? always thought it was

Reaction score
Ease up on the welders! All i know is i got to lay off 4 more guys today! That will bring my grand total to 32 guys from a shop that had 36 a year ago, this sucks and hope to hell it smartens up soon! I would hate to lay myself off lol

I only mentioned welders as I'm aware of two that are dumber than a sack of hammers.... yet make 90+k/year, and when they eventually lose their jobs, they will be the first ones in the EI/Welfare line, as they won't even have grade 12 to fall back on. They'd be under-qualified to work at Walmart.

But I agree... singling out welders was not my intention. I know some intelligent, hard working ones as well. Sorry if I came off as meaning "all welders". I also know some moronic IT people... maybe I'm one of them? *gasp*

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's rough, never easy giving someone their walking papers especially this time of year. Feel for you man.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I only mentioned welders as I'm aware of two that are dumber than a sack of hammers.... yet make 90+k/year, and when they eventually lose their jobs, they will be the first ones in the EI/Welfare line, as they won't even have grade 12 to fall back on. They'd be under-qualified to work at Walmart.

But I agree... singling out welders was not my intention. I know some intelligent, hard working ones as well. Sorry if I came off as meaning "all welders". I also know some moronic IT people... maybe I'm one of them? *gasp*
As a welding shop forman and as a welder trust me i know how dumb welders can be! And theres nothing wrong with not finishing grade 12, i had way better things to do then school work lol

Reaction score
Is you handle from the song from Clutch? always thought it was

No sir... it's just an "old" online / gamer name I've always used. It's never taken. If you convert it to hex it spells "BAD". I've considered getting it as a tattoo, as I've used it online for so long.

I had to go YouTube "Clutch"... :eek: Does that make me old? lol

Reaction score
As a welding shop forman and as a welder trust me i know how dumb welders can be! And theres nothing wrong with not finishing grade 12, i had way better things to do then school work lol

Many people don't finish grade 12, or even 10 for that matter, and go on to have successful, independent lives..... but NOT having sure doesn't give you an advantage over the dude standing beside you in the interview line, who does have it.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Many people don't finish grade 12, or even 10 for that matter, and go on to have successful, independent lives..... but NOT having sure doesn't give you an advantage over the dude standing beside you in the interview line, who does have it.

Yes that is true. But so far in my welding career it hasn't held me back, I have never been asked for it. And I have been welding for over 28 year now I've been welding since I was 17! And I have been the forman/lead hand for half dozen shops so I hope my work ethic and skill keeps me going.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes that is true. But so far in my welding career it hasn't held me back, I have never been asked for it. And I have been welding for over 28 year now I've been welding since I was 17! And I have been the forman/lead hand for half dozen shops so I hope my work ethic and skill keeps me going.

Wow 18 years! I made my self older then I am! Stupid welder can't even do math!

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That'll depend on what the line is for i'd suggest, imagine if the interview line was for a welder/fabricator or a related industry ? you could always unroll your degree and wave it at them, might help !!!!!
i've met an awful lot of academic superstars in my life, and i sure can't imagine hiring them just because of some institutional stamp in the corner of their degree.
Its the person, not the paper .

Reaction score

Basing this on previous posts, but you also made your own work if I'm not mistaken. You have your own shop. You're the exception, not the rule. Agreed on experience..... that is why I will never take another 18k certification course. Experience is more valuable, any day of the week. Starting out is another story though. There's also 7 billion people to compete with these days, compared to the piddly little 6 billion that our generation had to deal with. ;) It's only going to get harder.

Reaction score
That'll depend on what the line is for i'd suggest, imagine if the interview line was for a welder/fabricator or a related industry ? you could always unroll your degree and wave it at them, might help !!!!!
i've met an awful lot of academic superstars in my life, and i sure can't imagine hiring them just because of some institutional stamp in the corner of their degree.
Its the person, not the paper .

I actually agree with you...... my paper(s) are total ass-wipe........ the only thing they did for me was get my foot in the door. Once there, you still have to prove yourself and earn your place in order to stay. Obviously I wouldn't be getting in the line-up hiring welders. Nothing I have would help me there. Unless they needed someone to sweep floors, which I'd do for $15/hour :D

Reaction score
Yesterday I couldn't even spell truck driver. Today I are one. I graduated from high school many moons ago. I agree experience means a lot.

Well if you're ever out of work, you might make it on stage. That was half-way entertaining at least.

Reaction score
Doubt I'll run out of work any time soon. There's still lots of jobs out there. I might not always do what I want or make as much as I'd like but my bills are getting paid.

There's work everywhere... just not what people want or expect (or are used to). Kudos sir. I respect, and maybe even admire that a little.

Top Bottom