Kids Mini Quad

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So my 4yr old has one of those electric "Gators" from John Deere - plastic tires, etc. He is a holy terror who is absolutely running the snot out of it. Fixed the switch on it for the third time last night. Worst thing is those plastic tires - they get no traction and he runs this thing everywhere.

Since we are out in the sticks - I am thinking of a mini 50cc quad instead (although the wife does not like this idea). I would like something with a governor and remote kill switch so I can keep him from killing himself (most days). Anyone have any experience with them and some recommendations. He is a big, tall 4 yr old.

Does anyone make a mini side by side? Something with a roll cage would make the wife a lot happier.....

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gateway Motor Sports has the little 50cc quad with governor and teather. Just give him fifteen feet of rope and you can kill the motor by pulling the teather if needed.

They also have little dune buggies with seat belts and roll cages.

6108 Gateway boulevard on left hand side next to Hobby Wholesale.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a quad I bought on eBay for $425 to my door. They are 1or 2 steps up from the plastic jeeps. It has a kill tether and a gov. We tied a retractable dog leash to the tether, get the longest one you can. The bottom pic is the older niece at Blackfoot's "Dirt Camp" youngest is 5 the other is 8. But I think I like them on bikes better than the quads. They cant out ride them selves on a bike IMO. Its all to much fun.

IMGP0868.jpg
[/IMG]

IMGP0862.jpg
[/IMG]

DirtCamp_07_15.jpg
[/IMG]

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If your going to govern it buy a 110,Once you set the govener on a 50 they have barely enough power to turn the wheels,The tether is your best bet,hope you like running LOL!I bought a 50 for my son and it was useless when it was governed unless your on pavement.Hope this helps!
catmando!

newfiedoo

Reaction score
panterra motorsports make a 70cc quad that has a govener but instead of a tether it comes with a remote....you can kill the engine with the push of a button

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 2 of these little quads. Both work well for their money. The only problem with my two is I have to boost them to start them. Once running though they are great. If you do buy one check out the guys site Giovanni Bikes - Giovanni Mini ATV parts Canada there is a bunch of tips on what to do with the machine, like when you get it and start it for the first time, let it idle for half hour before riding as the carb comes with a gel pack in it and letting it idle dissolves it. Aslo has been said the 50 do not have enough charging power to charge it and run the headlight. But all in all if you want a cheap quad and don't mind a little hassle there is nothing wrong with them. But if you don't like messing around with that stuff go and buy a name brand, more money hopefully less hassle. The kids don't care if it costs $500 or $2500 as long as they can ride. Don't forget the helmet:d

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 2 of these little quads. Both work well for their money. The only problem with my two is I have to boost them to start them. Once running though they are great. If you do buy one check out the guys site Giovanni Bikes - Giovanni Mini ATV parts Canada there is a bunch of tips on what to do with the machine, like when you get it and start it for the first time, let it idle for half hour before riding as the carb comes with a gel pack in it and letting it idle dissolves it. Aslo has been said the 50 do not have enough charging power to charge it and run the headlight. But all in all if you want a cheap quad and don't mind a little hassle there is nothing wrong with them. But if you don't like messing around with that stuff go and buy a name brand, more money hopefully less hassle. The kids don't care if it costs $500 or $2500 as long as they can ride. Don't forget the helmet:d

My battery give up as well I bought a new one from the Battery Doctor for $20. Works great so far.

chelle

Marathon Truck Decks
Reaction score
If your buying one of the chinese quads, DO THE PDI YOURSELF!!! I just saw one the other day that had half of the nuts/bolts backing off including the large nut holding the rear wheel on. Way to scarry.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If your buying one of the chinese quads, DO THE PDI YOURSELF!!! I just saw one the other day that had half of the nuts/bolts backing off including the large nut holding the rear wheel on. Way to scarry.

They say to tighten ALL the nuts and bols when you get it, because the are uasly just finger tight

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ya. You have too remember the these quads were put toghether by kids younger than the ones riding them!!!!

Sad once you type it out and think about it.:(:(:(

Sledgirl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Watch carefully for the throttle sticking. We had a Kazuma that went wide open. No injury, but there could have been. Get a chest protector that fits the child also. They get gutsy trying stuff.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
use to sell these chineese quads. but I spent 2-3 hrs on each one before I let it go checking everything. sold about 40 of them as a side thing. my son started ridding his 50 at age 2 and a half. dont use the governer, just teach them how to drive it and stay with them. he went from the 50 to a 70 to a 90 and back down to a 70. I did some work on the 70 and made it alot quicker than the 90 or even 110 lol. he is now 8 and just got him a suzuki 70 2 stroke. I would never have put him on this quad with out all the pre riding on the slower 4 strokes. the china ones are great for the money if maintained and PDI right. and a great way to start the kids off in the sport with out spending alot. in 6 years only had 2 accidents but just quad was damaged not kid, because of all the body armmor and helmet. I look at it now is it tought him how to drive and now has a 550 136 rmk (and drives a 700 and 900) that he rides with me now in the mountains. not scared to hand him the keys to almost anything since he now nows he should only go as fast as he can handle. so just teach them how to drive and dont waist time on the govenors.

They have to start somewhere so go mini to start lol.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a bunch of these little quads and the dirt bikes. The rear swing arm bushings on the quads were crappy rubber so instead of getting a new one from the gio guy my husband built one from other material. We switched out all the batteries for better quality ones, lock tight everything. We went right into the 110, as there wasn't too much difference in size. We ride alot. In a day the kids and I will put on 50kms up the mountain. Plastics are cheap quality, but cheap to replace. The engines seem to hold together nice. Watch when you go through water, if you go slow they won't suck the water in. The orange coloured ones lose their colour fast.

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My personal opinion is to stay away from the cheaper Chinese brands.
your children are going to grow out of them eventually and you will not get your money back out of them when you go to sell them.
even though they are more money, my money is on the japanese name brands because they are going to last longer and have a better re-sale value.
If things go like bushings, bearings, nuts bolts they are available at your local dealer.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think goin brand name is the way to go,I looked at all those China ones and dont think they would take much of a beating,Parts are hard to comeby out this way although they all say there not till you need one.My nieces little 90 the starter went good luck finding one,over a year and 3 different ones no luck yet.I bought my daughter who was 7 a Raptor 80,it has the throttle adjust but never used it because its a 3spd auto with a rev limiter so she learned in 1st gear just bouncin on the limiter,once she got better it was off to2nd and so on,Now she cruisis right along and the machine can handle the trail and the beatin.Plus the parts availablity and resale make it worth it to me

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My personal opinion is to stay away from the cheaper Chinese brands.
your children are going to grow out of them eventually and you will not get your money back out of them when you go to sell them.
even though they are more money, my money is on the japanese name brands because they are going to last longer and have a better re-sale value.
If things go like bushings, bearings, nuts bolts they are available at your local dealer.

I agree with you powertool, unfortunately we would have only been able to afford 1 bike then, to share between our 4 kids. When the older step kids come over we have a machine for them to ride too. It was a price based upon finances and quality of life for our whole family. We feel that even if we were to sell them for peanuts right now, we have gotten 3 good years up the bush out of them for less than a summer holiday one summer would have cost. Neighbors laugh at our "chinese junk" all the time. But they either don't have kids, have one kid or leave their kids at home. They laugh when we are wrenching or boosting, or pushing something, but to see the kids independantly go up the mountain 30kms back makes it all worth it.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with parts, we haven't had too many problems getting parts. John from Gio, even sent us an old engine to salvage for our other machines. charged us next to nothing. Most of the chinese stuff is made at the same factory, so even though it has a different name parts can be interchangeable.

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
Hey mom i couldn't help but notice on the pic of the beast, shouldn't the chevrons of the tire be pointing forward or is that the correct way to run those tires.(little arrow on sidewall) in short=they look like there on backwards to me. but i could be wrong.:beer::d:beer:

Top Bottom