Kanedog discovers a Clutching CATastrophy, again. Pics!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I call total bullshat on this whole story!
That is not an Ctec head on that motor.....Looks like an old doo head casting.
That is most certainly not a Alpha side panel or secondary.
Way old pictures LMFAO.

He never said it was a Cat. He said this is what can happen when a clutch explodes.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He never said it was a Cat. He said this is what can happen when a clutch explodes.

Being the Catastrophy thread i was expecting Cat examples.
At 8000rpm bad things will happen at time of detination.
Well OK that makes sense.
Nasty wound.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being the Catastrophy thread i was expecting Cat examples.
At 8000rpm bad things will happen at time of detination.
Well OK that makes sense.
Nasty wound.

I think he is trying to make a case with the USA Consumer Safety Protection Agency for a recall. Apparently Cat/Team don't think brand new clutches exploding is a safety hazard.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, stopped by the dealer today to grab some parts.

Primary clutches are now back ordered.

They are stealing clutches off of show room sleds.

eff67b6bbad5ecfe0e916eb00aea8986.jpg

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, stopped by the dealer today to grab some parts.

Primary clutches are now back ordered.

They are stealing clutches off of show room sleds.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200107/eff67b6bbad5ecfe0e916eb00aea8986.jpg

That’s a good thing!! Means Cat has pulled all the clutches off the shelf. Probably an internal stop sale of whatever they had left. New clutches and new part numbers on the way. All clutch part numbers will supersede into the new part number and they will pretend nothing ever happened

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s a good thing!! Means Cat has pulled all the clutches off the shelf. Probably an internal stop sale of whatever they had left. New clutches and new part numbers on the way. All clutch part numbers will supersede into the new part number and they will pretend nothing ever happened

My clutch had a June 2018 manufacture date and it cracked like the rest.
It only had the standard bolts so not sure yet what is getting put in with the new clutch.
About 1800km on this clutch and the cracking was starting to show.
Warranty coverage has been confirmed.
Will have to check clutch with each oil and gas fill to see if cracking returns.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ordered my thunder cover today. I only got the one year warranty with my Alpha so not taking any chances. Had a good chat with the guy, says his phone has been ringing off the hook for the last 3 weeks from Cat guys. Says Cat has a huge problem with their covers.

Side note Benny ordered a team tied secondary and shaft for the Alpha so we will be testing this out pretty soon.

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
Ordered my thunder cover today. I only got the one year warranty with my Alpha so not taking any chances. Had a good chat with the guy, says his phone has been ringing off the hook for the last 3 weeks from Cat guys. Says Cat has a huge problem with their covers.

Side note Benny ordered a team tied secondary and shaft for the Alpha so we will be testing this out pretty soon.

Excellent! In addition to stiffening up the primary, a 911 cover is a key piece of the clutching puzzle for any brand.

The 911 cover and tossing the Cat Secondary will be a good step and it opens up more opportunities for trying different secondaries too!

I installed a Sidewinder jackshaft with Yamaha splines but I had to do some machining to make it fit right. I think I would use a different shaft next time. Looking frwd to hearing the results.

Last edited:

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have my 911 cover on order as well, and was looking into the team tied and other secondary options. What shaft did you guys go with? 2015?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or they just ran outta clutches

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup seen that on facebook, I would be one pissed off customer if I had forked out that kind of dough for a new sled only to have a clutch fail so soon and then be told we cant fix it yet! Makes me think I might be back on a doo next year.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup seen that on facebook, I would be one pissed off customer if I had forked out that kind of dough for a new sled only to have a clutch fail so soon and then be told we cant fix it yet! Makes me think I might be back on a doo next year.
Im on a cat now. But I remember when the gen 4 came out I couldn’t get belts for my 850. Needed 3-4 a weekend. Sold out.
My clutch looks good so far on both my sleds. fingers crossed. I’d be pissed too if I couldn’t get a clutch.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im on a cat now. But I remember when the gen 4 came out I couldn’t get belts for my 850. Needed 3-4 a weekend. Sold out.
My clutch looks good so far on both my sleds. fingers crossed. I’d be pissed too if I couldn’t get a clutch.
Country Cat has 5 of the old ones in stock. They claim the new 895 part number ships in 3-4 days but that could be a lie? I didn't phone them. The new ones are $551US.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I honestly would not hesitate to put on a different cover and take it to one of the balancing shops listed above.

Save the cracked cover and put it back on for warranty, when the new clutch comes in.

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

have to ask, you for realz? 3-4 belts a WEEKEND!? seriously, that's fawkn ridiculous.

LMLCHEVY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I honestly would not hesitate to put on a different cover and take it to one of the balancing shops listed above.

Save the cracked cover and put it back on for warranty, when the new clutch comes in.

IF a new clutch comes out as a recall not just a replace as they fail.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does 911 or any cover manufacturer suggest a post install re -balance?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IF a new clutch comes out as a recall not just a replace as they fail.
But if you have a cracked cover, start a warranty claim.

Clutches are backorder so rather than sitting on the sidelines till March, pull the cover off and run a 911.

Get your new clutch under warranty or recall.

Party on.

Top Bottom