Just bought a super-charged Apex....now what??

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm done for the season. summer plans are starting to nix sledding.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm done for the season. summer plans are starting to nix sledding.

C'MON!!!!!! One more ride - it's June now, the exemption is lifted, we can buy race gas by the barrel now!!!! LOL

Just gotta finish the installation of my extra long super duper longer track and we can go again.......

Seriously though, you gotta love the statement "sledding is starting to get in the way of my summer vacation"!!!!!! LOL Awesome

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
C'MON!!!!!! One more ride - it's June now, the exemption is lifted, we can buy race gas by the barrel now!!!! LOL

Just gotta finish the installation of my extra long super duper longer track and we can go again.......

Seriously though, you gotta love the statement "sledding is starting to get in the way of my summer vacation"!!!!!! LOL Awesome

So race gas is available again?I certainly hope so...:d

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So race gas is available again?I certainly hope so...:d

Talk to Jordan at VP here in Calgary, the exemption was supposed to go through June 1 - even if it hasn't gone through quite yet - it sounds like we will be able to buy race gas for next season so that's good.

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So shiznitt, is this basically the area where you want to mount this or am i totally in the wrong area?

Attachments

• Picture 144.jpg
    Picture 144.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Picture 145.jpg
    Picture 145.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 55

apex10

Reaction score
So shiznitt, is this basically the area where you want to mount this or am i totally in the wrong area?

Did you get the tube welded on in that spot?? My intercooler has a spot on it for a BOV. Does it matter where I install it? I am installing a BOV also.

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you get the tube welded on in that spot?? My intercooler has a spot on it for a BOV. Does it matter where I install it? I am installing a BOV also.

I'm thinking that is were the collar needs to be welded, it isn't yet. So u have a flange welded on yours already? If you do it is a newer intercooler i'm sure thats how they come now. If can post a picture.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The newer kits (I'm not sure when MPI started this) come with a flange and block-off plate welded on for thier BOV valve. MPI will weld this on for free but you have to pay shipping, which would cost more than the welding I'm sure. I'm sure it's o nthe intercooler rather than the inlet tube as it's cheaper to fit and weld.

I would think any spot on the intercooler will work fine. The only concern I would have is dumping hot air right next to your intake, maybe not much of an issue though?

I'd like to see some pics of what Shiznitt100 has done as well.

I wonder how that extended air intake in the pic has worked out? I was thinking of drilling the hood so the top of the air intake is flush with the hood. It could then draw outside air without the risk of being scrapped off by a tree... or the odd Rev I run over.

4 1/2 months till first ride of the season...

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The newer kits (I'm not sure when MPI started this) come with a flange and block-off plate welded on for thier BOV valve. MPI will weld this on for free but you have to pay shipping, which would cost more than the welding I'm sure. I'm sure it's o nthe intercooler rather than the inlet tube as it's cheaper to fit and weld.

I would think any spot on the intercooler will work fine. The only concern I would have is dumping hot air right next to your intake, maybe not much of an issue though?

I wonder how that extended air intake in the pic has worked out? I was thinking of drilling the hood so the top of the air intake is flush with the hood. It could then draw outside air without the risk of being scrapped off by a tree... or the odd Rev I run over.

I'll take some pictures of the air intake later and post them how i have mine set up. It seems to work good, when it was mounted under the hood there was alot of heitation after it was moved outside it woke right up.

Thanks for pointing that out about the positioning of the valve I don't think taking in hot air being dumped out should be an issue that didn't really come to mind just for the way my air intake is set up.

I'm just waiting for shiznitt100 to comferm if this where he has his mounted as this BOV is the same one he is using.

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Here is some pictures of my air intake.

Attachments

• Picture 146.jpg
    Picture 146.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Picture 147.jpg
    Picture 147.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Picture 148.jpg
    Picture 148.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 118

apex10

Reaction score
I'm thinking that is were the collar needs to be welded, it isn't yet. So u have a flange welded on yours already? If you do it is a newer intercooler i'm sure thats how they come now. If can post a picture.

Yes there is a flange up near where it attaches to the throttle bodies, on the clutch side of the intercooler. I don't have time right now for a pic but i will post one soon.

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got the intercooler back on last night with the bov. Moved it from where i was going to originally going to put it, here are some pics. I ran it this morning and it seems to be working properly.

Attachments

• Picture 151.jpg
    Picture 151.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 123
  • Picture 154.jpg
    Picture 154.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Picture 156.jpg
    Picture 156.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 119
  • Picture 155.jpg
    Picture 155.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 131

apex10

Reaction score
Got the intercooler back on last night with the bov. Moved from where i was going to origanaly going to put her are some pics. I ran it this morning and it seems to be working properly.

Thats exactly where the flange is located on my intercooler. Can't wait to install and try it out. Did you buy the bov from MPI?

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice! That's one big bastard blow of valve! I'll probably go that route when I step up to 10psi.

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just had the MPI BOV installed on mine. My setup is similar to Burnt Toast's design for the intake. Mine was done using ABS plumbing parts. My hood is a little diferent though. It's cut to allow removal of the hood whithout taking off the intake boot. I'll post some pics this weekend.
Burnt Toast, I like the look of your polished cooler. :beer:

Top Bottom