Just bought a super-charged Apex....now what??

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
talk to trent about head shim, he may have one in stock. i would not stack the gaskets. hokey pokey crap, get shim and one new head gasket, cut the clips holding the 2 halves of gasket together, get some "spray tac" from "3m" at your local parts place and spray the piss out of both sides of shim, coat the whole thing good. then install gasket part above and below. use torque procedure in total yamaha. (i think under the mod section engine build. its a sticky),
You will have to redegree the cams by adding a "woodrif key" can get from powder lights and redregree as they say on total yam,

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
talk to trent about head shim, he may have one in stock. i would not stack the gaskets. hokey pokey crap, get shim and one new head gasket, cut the clips holding the 2 halves of gasket together, get some "spray tac" from "3m" at your local parts place and spray the piss out of both sides of shim, coat the whole thing good. then install gasket part above and below. use torque procedure in total yamaha. (i think under the mod section engine build. its a sticky),
You will have to redegree the cams by adding a "woodrif key" can get from powder lights and redregree as they say on total yam,

Your the Man! Never mind what Modman is sayin' about you! :d:beer:

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when you going to bring that tank out here?, we need some more trees mowed down. i have not done a good job this year lol. i guess when the riding is to close to home you just think tomorrow will be better lol

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know better then to trust either one lol. but you lied tome the most modman lol. this area is great but work is very very slow lol,.like %90 reired now lol. i guess its a good thing. more time to drink beer and think of all the good in life lol lol

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know better then to trust either one lol. but you lied tome the most modman lol. this area is great but work is very very slow lol,.like %90 reired now lol. i guess its a good thing. more time to drink beer and think of all the good in life lol lol

That sucks dude. Pm'd you.

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
being mostly retired is not a bad thing lol. but being mostly retarded is lol

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when you going to bring that tank out here?, we need some more trees mowed down. i have not done a good job this year lol. i guess when the riding is to close to home you just think tomorrow will be better lol

I think this is the first year I have not done any major damage! Not a single rope pull all year (knock on wood)! Maybe having a spare set of a-arms in the garage is lucky!

I'm taking her out this weekend, I finally got the right PTO (was missing from kit then got a nytro PTO sent to me) and can finish up the install Friday night or sat. Fernie's half way....you in for a day trip? With all the snow hitting the Crowsnest I gotta get out!

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
me and greggor are talking about bringing you but i cant do fern. if you guys want to do the gar i can put ya up. 6.3 hours from cal

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PM'd all three of ya bastages! Let's ride!

My mothers day gift to my wife is my absence...a little peace and quite!

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And i am sure she is going to enjoy the neighbour lol lol.. You say you pmd 3 of us.. did you send yourself a reminder??, lol i cant this weekend man i wish i could. you should load that thing and head out. its not bad here right now, it has been dumping all week and last too. i will have updates later today.still have room for a few more. shop has bed, office has bed and well its not alberta and we have green grass and little nicer weather

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok you can come but leave modman at home lol lol

Yeah - I should probably stay home anyway.... besides, it's no fun riding circles around your fat, slow ass yammy's with my little 440 short track.......:D Just admit that you don't want me stealing your hot 75 yr old russian girlfriend from up Pass Creek.....:p

And i am sure she is going to enjoy the neighbour lol lol.. You say you pmd 3 of us.. did you send yourself a reminder??

I'm not sure he's very good with the math, but he figured out how to subtract when he put a 2.5" track into his bulkhead that only had 2" of clearance....."just kick it, it'll go" ....LOL

He's not going to be ready anyway :D......OK seriously - MacG - give me a call if you need some help, I got some spare time Sat.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I finally but some spark to the Sapex on Sunday and it fired first try. Runs good in the garage to 6000rpm and making about 4psi boost. I had an oil leak at the banjo fitting on the return line on top of the charger oil tank. And it looked like the belt was slipping on the tensioner a bit - I'm hoping this is just breakin of the belt as I'm sure I have the tension right.

I was able to mostly stop the oil leak but it still weeps. I've got two copper washers on the bottom now and it's cinched down tight, tight and still weeps! I'll try some liquid gasket and see if that seals it. I think the painted surface of the oil reservoir makes for a poor sealing surface.

When I dump the throttle the charger makes a chuffing noise and I see boost spikes to 10 psi (upstream throttle bodies).

I'm going to have to take a day off work to tune & ride this thing!

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you will get noise from the charger when there is boost in the charge tube to the throttle body.. the noise is the boost going back through the charger. a bov does help that. your belt should be run loose, you will have 3/4 inch of play, cog belts run loose, if you run them tight they will brake. that is strange your leak. its the top fitting. cant tighten it down?, try a alum washer, but copper should seal that. i dont know if i would use gasket seal on it.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you will get noise from the charger when there is boost in the charge tube to the throttle body.. the noise is the boost going back through the charger. a bov does help that. your belt should be run loose, you will have 3/4 inch of play, cog belts run loose, if you run them tight they will brake. that is strange your leak. its the top fitting. cant tighten it down?, try a alum washer, but copper should seal that. i dont know if i would use gasket seal on it.

10-4 on the noise...I like the chuff chuff! I think I'm good on the belt, it moves 3/4" with a firm push.

The leak is frustrating as there's no pressure involved. I'll try sanding all surfaces with emory and see if I can't get them to seal, they all look smooth though. Maybe retorquing a few times to work those copper gaskets. Otherwise I thought a thin layer of liquid gasket couldn't do any harm? Just enough to fill in any grooves or scratches.

Top Bottom