Just bought a super-charged Apex....now what??

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is how I did mine.

Attachments

• IMG00134-20101002-1746.jpg
    IMG00134-20101002-1746.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG00135-20101002-1746.jpg
    IMG00135-20101002-1746.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG00136-20101002-1746.jpg
    IMG00136-20101002-1746.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG00137-20101002-1747.jpg
    IMG00137-20101002-1747.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 95

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of holing my hood similar to what you guys have done but setting the top of air the air filter flush with the hood or just an inch high. I'm worried about branches ripping off the air filter if it's sticking up that much.

Actually I've got too much wrenching to do on my other sleds I likely will not get to it before my first ride. But I guy can plan...

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of holing my hood similar to what you guys have done but setting the top of air the air filter flush with the hood or just an inch high. I'm worried about branches ripping off the air filter if it's sticking up that much.

Actually I've got too much wrenching to do on my other sleds I likely will not get to it before my first ride. But I guy can plan...

I thought the same thing about it being vulnerable out there but have not had any issues to date. I do however have an additional cover that I have in my trunk for the "Just in case" moment.

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What my intake stack is comprised of is an ABS plumbing reducer that ties into the intake hose. The upper portion that the intake filter is covering is just an ABS pipe glued into the reducer that has many holes drilled into it. All-in-all it's quite durable. I hope this helps. Cheers!

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What my intake stack is comprised of is an ABS plumbing reducer that ties into the intake hose. The upper portion that the intake filter is covering is just an ABS pipe glued into the reducer that has many holes drilled into it. All-in-all it's quite durable. I hope this helps. Cheers!

?? So your not accually running a filter under the pre filter sock?

jeremy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

AEM makes a durable , bendable filter for an application for front mount turbo packages. The inner filter skeleton is made of a plastic frame and it can be twisted or squished and returns back normal form without compromising air flow.

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
?? So your not accually running a filter under the pre filter sock?

[Long story shortend] Yes, I am....not to filter the air but more to keep the prefilter from being sucked to the intake pipe underneath during mid to full throttle aplications. My original intake pipe only had 6-7 1" holes drilled into it and the pre-filter would get sucked to it followed by snow and would cause the sled to starve for air. I have since then drilled many holes into the pipe and then wrapped it with a non-oiled foam dirtbike filter to ensure that can not happen now.
Just in case you don't know. A sled doesn't normaly require a "fine" filter as there isn't the dirt/dust during the winter due to the snow on the ground. All that is usually needed during winter is a "course" type air-filter to keep snow, belt fibers, pine needles, etc, from entering the intake. There are exceptions but this is usually the norm. :twocents:

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i have to say you did a good job on the BOV's glad they worked for ya. looks good, did you set it up the way i explained?. if so it will blow off perfect on the trail down to parking lot and when you get off full throttle quickly. it makes a different animal when they are installed and set up correct thats for sure.

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have some fuel i have to get rid of..... sunoco 112 i have 2 drums $500 each or $900 for both. 208L drums. they are in castlegar now but can have in calgary just after xmas 250-304-7441 text call email

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i have to say you did a good job on the BOV's glad they worked for ya. looks good, did you set it up the way i explained?. if so it will blow off perfect on the trail down to parking lot and when you get off full throttle quickly. it makes a different animal when they are installed and set up correct thats for sure.

Hollyman wear you been hidingout you been on vacation? Ya pretty siked to try it out it should be like a diffrent machine.

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been livin in the gar where its koot time...lol just been busy with trying to get all my stuff done and in order. its snowing here daily(up high)looks like i will be making a trip tomorrow to see what the conditions are like.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sp took the aapex out for tuning on the weekend with a new fuel box and had nothing but grief. Got a bunch of codes: 84, 15, & 20. Turning the sled on and off did not clear them.

Got it back home and thought my TPS and intake sensor were hooped until someone told me I needed to disconnect the GEMS box before using the Apex diagnostics. So did that and all the codes have now cleared and TPS and intake sensor read good. I hope these codes were interfering with the stock map cause the GEMS settings I had to use to keep the AFR safe were wacked! Like 7 on the pilot circuit (green mode).

I think I caused the code 20 by setting the GEMS altitude setting to high. This would make the intake pressure read higher than the atmospheric sensor. What are you guys doing to avoid getting these codes and having to unplug GEMS to clear? Do you have the TORS by-passed and run a tether?Does code 20 come up often?

Shawn

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sp took the aapex out for tuning on the weekend with a new fuel box and had nothing but grief. Got a bunch of codes: 84, 15, & 20. Turning the sled on and off did not clear them.

Got it back home and thought my TPS and intake sensor were hooped until someone told me I needed to disconnect the GEMS box before using the Apex diagnostics. So did that and all the codes have now cleared and TPS and intake sensor read good. I hope these codes were interfering with the stock map cause the GEMS settings I had to use to keep the AFR safe were wacked! Like 7 on the pilot circuit (green mode).

I think I caused the code 20 by setting the GEMS altitude setting to high. This would make the intake pressure read higher than the atmospheric sensor. What are you guys doing to avoid getting these codes and having to unplug GEMS to clear? Do you have the TORS by-passed and run a tether?Does code 20 come up often?

Shawn

Yes I am running a tether, I have never seen any of those codes come up on my sled.:confused::confused::confused:

RL800BST

Reaction score
dude WHY would you buy a supercharged sled, a turbo will just waste a supercharger. and besides superchargers being engine driven have more parts that'll **** up

I agree Ive looked into some kits and have seen Trasks Turbo set up it looks pretty trick.

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you will get a code with the tors disconnected. you need to disconnect that. code 20 i think is normal. i would have to look at the book.
I get a small list of codes all the time. i ignore and ride. they are all to do with tors and intake temps.

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you will get a code with the tors disconnected. you need to disconnect that. code 20 i think is normal. i would have to look at the book.
I get a small list of codes all the time. i ignore and ride. they are all to do with tors and intake temps.

I agree I have 20 on all the time and only 20 and I just ignore it sled still runs fine. It has done it since day 1. I havent had any problem with my tors.

On a side note got out for first ride on Friday on blow off valve is working to a tee very smooth.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I ran for three days in Revy and get 15 & 84 every time at start-up (no idea why) but they don't stay on. I don't get code 20 anymore, I fairly sure I caused that one with my GEMS altitude setting.

Ran great at lower altitude (Frisby Cabin and below) but when I got further in it would not make boost (1-2psi) or pull enough RPMS. I pulled all the weight I could out of the Dalton adjustable weights I've got and still could only get it to 9600rpm.

I still have my air intake under the hood and the snow was DEEP, so maybe it was starving for air or getting warm air. I've either got to snorkel this thing or just go to 10psi.

I also put the sled on it side in one stuck and it dumped motor oil all over. What a friggin mess, what's the fix for this? I'm guessing it came out of the crank case vent.

I got bigger problems now though...cracked bulk head! Friggin trees!

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is a line that comes with the kit.. it has a filter element clamped in the end. if i remember correctly the hose fastens behind the blower on the block. frasers kit did not come with the element in the end so i went to local parts place and bought a brass fuel filter that goes into the inlet of an old holly carb. Its cone shaped and fits perfect in the 5/8 (i think) hose, his sled did not spill a drop and it let enough venting. oh ya and it did not allow snow to enter in either. worked great.
otherwise i have never had oil leak from mine or any other S/C apex. send me pictures

Top Bottom