Just bought a super-charged Apex....now what??

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just picked-up a stage 1 (10 psi of boost) supercharged Apex and now I'd like to know if it is really necessary to run mixed fuel (% of race fuel to a % of 92 octane premium fuel)? I know what MPI states on their web-site (50/50 mix) but I know that many companies build pump gas turbos that boost around 10-12 psi. but run on 92 octane.
I usually ride between 6,000 to 10,000 feet. The engine head is NOT shimmed and is running stock head bolts as well. Thanks for any help with this. :beer:

Shell Gold

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance but I'm not sure what that is. Care to elaborate? Thanks!:confused:

Its a grade of fuel. Shell has bronze, silver and gold. I think he is referring to the fact that you should run Gold.

I would go to Chevron and get some 94 octane as well.

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its a grade of fuel. Shell has bronze, silver and gold. I think he is referring to the fact that you should run Gold.

Yeah, wasn't sure as when I Googled it as not much came up showing fuel instead of gold. Thanks! Around here the highest grade of fuel sold at the pumps is Sinclair 93 octane.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're octane calc's look good to me. That's what I get as well. That does look like it's cutting it fairly close though if your running 95 octane.

Have a good one,

Shawn.

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey TomKat, from my experience, you don't always get what you pay for at the pump as far as octane goes, for the extra couple hundred a year, I mix 1/3 110(c12) with 2/3 91 or 94 pump gas. Morale of the story, after 2 years of severe abuse at wide open throttle at all kinds of altitude runing 12psi, my nytro still purrs like a kitten (possibly one with rabies) but a kitten none the less:d. I know lots of guys that cheat the octane levels to save a few bucks and have experienced catastrophic failures costing thousands to repair not to mention costly downtime and powder missed.
To those not in favor of superchargers:nono: just try one after riding your slow boosting lumbering turbos in the trees and you'll know why we love our instantaneous boost. They may not make the most ponies for going up a shoot, but anywhere else on the mountain, there's no substitute for two pullies and a belt.

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey TomKat, from my experience, you don't always get what you pay for at the pump as far as octane goes, for the extra couple hundred a year, I mix 1/3 110(c12) with 2/3 91 or 94 pump gas. Morale of the story, after 2 years of severe abuse at wide open throttle at all kinds of altitude runing 12psi, my nytro still purrs like a kitten (possibly one with rabies) but a kitten none the less:d. I know lots of guys that cheat the octane levels to save a few bucks and have experienced catastrophic failures costing thousands to repair not to mention costly downtime and powder missed.
To those not in favor of superchargers:nono: just try one after riding your slow boosting lumbering turbos in the trees and you'll know why we love our instantaneous boost. They may not make the most ponies for going up a shoot, but anywhere else on the mountain, there's no substitute for two pullies and a belt.

I hear ya Big A. I plan on exercising caution with my mix, I'm just seeing what others have to say. Are you running an O2 sensor? If so, have you had any issues with running leaded fuel? Mine seems to be fried which I beleive is due to the lead in the race fuel. :(

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If I had the money, I would be doing a supercharger over a turbo anyday :d

I like to boondock and fall over in powder more then do stupid shoots where i can roll my expensive sled and possibly total it.:rolleyes:

Having the extra boost to not get stuck would be awesome!

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have built 2 s/c apex's one was stage 1 and the other stage 2. i have been riding both in all altitudes. what ever any one tells you.... run vp 110 or higher. you can cut it down to 30 percent with 92-94 octane. do not run sled with out vp, if you run the sled with out vp you will torch the eng, have seen this happen. you can buy sunoco 110 TRICK in the states it is 350 for a 45gal drum. when you are setting up the programmer give me a call and i can help you with your settings. under boost you should be reading aprox 12 to 1 on the a/f gauge. if you do not have one installed aem makes a good one for 300

Apex06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have built 2 s/c apex's one was stage 1 and the other stage 2. i have been riding both in all altitudes. what ever any one tells you.... run vp 110 or higher. you can cut it down to 30 percent with 92-94 octane. do not run sled with out vp, if you run the sled with out vp you will torch the eng, have seen this happen. you can buy sunoco 110 TRICK in the states it is 350 for a 45gal drum. when you are setting up the programmer give me a call and i can help you with your settings. under boost you should be reading aprox 12 to 1 on the a/f gauge. if you do not have one installed aem makes a good one for 300

i run a turbo sled and im building another one this year and all i can say about race fuel is its CHEAP INSURANCE. ever priced a block out? :d

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
ho wmuch longer till its done apex 06 when are we going to go sledding again

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just make SURE you keep tightening the set screws in the pulleys.... tighten them 2km up from truck atleast if not sooner. then at the cabin or another 15km, keep tightening all day or checking. DO NOT ride the sled with out tightening the pulleys. they will come off and go through the oil tank.

Apextenn

Reaction score
All i can say is Shiznitt100 put a stage one supercharger in my sled and it is awesome but it is not shimied and for what a new motor costs guessing 5000$ at least i would run at least 30 to 40% race fuel with premium. Do you run much of trails or are you mostly in the powder all day cause you can put a blow off valve on it that will significatly lower the amount of fuel you use in a day as it will lower your boost while you are on the trail. Anyhow good luck and enjoy the supercharger.

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also on the overflow tube from the super charger oil tank install a catch bottle on that hose, drill a small hole through the lid of a water bottle and then a vent hole beside, this will catch alot of oil and that stuff is not cheap, i just boil the water oit of it and reuse.if you do not use something to catch the oil you will be buying a few new bottles a year at the tune of 140 each.

dirtbag

Reaction score

91 esso is what everyone starts with,chevron takes that and mixes additives and ethanol to get it to 94.anything over 91 has ethanol mixed in I believe..

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also on the overflow tube from the super charger oil tank install a catch bottle on that hose, drill a small hole through the lid of a water bottle and then a vent hole beside, this will catch alot of oil and that stuff is not cheap, i just boil the water oit of it and reuse.if you do not use something to catch the oil you will be buying a few new bottles a year at the tune of 140 each.

Great information Shiz! Thanks!

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
91 esso is what everyone starts with,chevron takes that and mixes additives and ethanol to get it to 94.anything over 91 has ethanol mixed in I believe..

They may do this in PG because most of the fuel comes out of the old Husky refinery.

I hope, and thought, they had to declare if they had ethanol in fuel. I avoid it like the plage.

Top Bottom