Just bought a super-charged Apex....now what??

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes they are nice valves. And they work. Just take the spring out and set the screw so it just touches. And you are set. Get the bung welded then drill the center out. It will weld much better

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes if i remembeer correctly it is the larger diam short spring. leave the long skinny inner spring in it.set screw to just touch the disk

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey shiznitt did u ave any photo's of this process when u were doing the install? I'm not to sure were the BOV should be situated in the charge tube. Just any were that there is going to be clearance below the bulkhead?

Thanks

apex10

Reaction score
Hi There. I bought an MPI super charger this past winter. I called MPI and asked them what could be run in this set up. I bought a Stage one kit and it is supposed to put out between 10 and 12 PSI of boost. They told me to run a 50/50 mix with this set up. I asked them what pulley combination I should run in oreder to run pump fuel. They told me to run between 6 to 8 pounds of boost to run 92 octane. I was able to get this with a combination of a 24 drive and 27 driven pulleys. Had no problem with the pump fuel. Only problem I had was when I got up in altitude, I would lose boost And there goes my power. It ran great in the parking lot, but when i headed up the trail, it was gone. This is just my experience with this setup.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why would it loose boost? We're you running a boost gauge? What did it read up top?

I'm planning on running 6lbs boost by reversing the 10lb pulleys (24/26 I think). I'm going to run this until I can get a head shim installed. I've just finished the install and hoping to take it out this weekend....am I going to be disappointed?

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
burnt toast- i do not have any pictures of the install. i had my s/c kit completely insalled and then i held the bov in position where would clear and had a bud mark the tube for me. then we ground down the flange the bov came with to make it fit better. welded it up and drilled the center hole out.

as for the altitude and loosing boost, that is normal on the s/c you will loose 2-4psi in boost from parking lot to 10,000ft. so i would run teh normal pulleys and run a %30 race 110 or 112 mix. I was 13-14psi in parking lot and by the time i got past the alpine it was 10-12 so... trueth be known you only need race fuel for down low, when at altitude and correct a/f readings you should be able to run prem fuel only,

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
shawn dont run the small pulleys,. fraser has my old stage 1 no head shim. his runs good and hard. i have a drum of fuel for ya if you need. my cost is 500cad

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't want to run race gas, it's way cheaper to just install a head shim. I've got C16 now, enough for this season anyways. I'm going to run 25/75 for the first ride @ 6psi and see how it goes - till I've got the install broke in anyways and learn how to clutch this thing. I have not touched the clutch yet (in 4 years & 4500kms), so if I hit the rev limited I know I'm making more power. If it don't work, no biggy, I don't mind a pully swap.

If I don't like 6psi then I'll swap the pullies for the next ride and run 50/50 till I get the head shim done (next season along with BOV?). I don't think I've got more than a couple of rides left this year anyways.

I'm expecting a bit of boost drop as atmosphic presssure drops, but I ride mostly 6-7000ft not 10k ft. I may clutch it for 10,400rpm rather than 9,800 - I can't overspeed the blower with 6psi pullies on.

I'll let you know how it goes.

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i do believe you are correct on all your comments there. You may want to run little less then 50-50 as it may run like crap. i have tlked to guys who have run 50-50 and say runs bad. at 6psi, you will need the fuel for low. when you get up in altitude you can even run that on pump.. i melted my secondary, the inner sides of the clutch melted so bad it looks like some one ran a beed of weld inside, lol lol. sanded it off and away we go again. but now the belt smokes very easy

burnt toast

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i do believe you are correct on all your comments there. You may want to run little less then 50-50 as it may run like crap. i have tlked to guys who have run 50-50 and say runs bad. at 6psi, you will need the fuel for low. when you get up in altitude you can even run that on pump.. i melted my secondary, the inner sides of the clutch melted so bad it looks like some one ran a beed of weld inside, lol lol. sanded it off and away we go again. but now the belt smokes very easy

I did the same f-ing thing to mine first ride out. Wasn't adjusted tight enough.:)

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't want to run race gas, it's way cheaper to just install a head shim. ..... If it don't work, no biggy, I don't mind a pully swap.

You say that now. :D

Just tell me when you are stepping up to 10 psi and we will order a tanker full of C12. At the rate mine drinks it, I'm going to need at least 1/2 of that next year.

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you melted your secondary too lol lol. thought it was only my dumb luck. I think next time i have it apart i am going to take that shockwave out and try it stock again, it seems to jam open when it gets warm. we see, season is almost over and i just dont care to piss with it too much anymore lol, want to buy a s/c sled $27000 into it, will let it go for $12500

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You say that now. :D

Just tell me when you are stepping up to 10 psi and we will order a tanker full of C12. At the rate mine drinks it, I'm going to need at least 1/2 of that next year.

I was tempted to run race gas in my lawn mower this weekend just to smell it!

I'll let you know...still waiting on a PTO shaft! I've finished everything I can and am going nutz waiting!

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Melted your primary?! Dam she's got some Jam, eh?! Your as hard on crap as I am!

I'll have a lot of clutch tinkering to do, stiffer secondary spring, new helix, new weights, maybe some gearing....for now I'll try just adding weight.

Ya, I'm sure your right on the race mix, especially if I'm using C16....and costs about the same as vodka?!

apex10

Reaction score
Melted your primary?! Dam she's got some Jam, eh?! Your as hard on crap as I am!

I'll have a lot of clutch tinkering to do, stiffer secondary spring, new helix, new weights, maybe some gearing....for now I'll try just adding weight.

Ya, I'm sure your right on the race mix, especially if I'm using C16....and costs about the same as vodka?!

Hi. I did a lot of tinkering with the weights and secondary. The best setup that seems to be working for me right now, I bought some Dalton Pro adjustable weights for the clutch and a shockwave for my secondary. Can't remember the weights I used, but i know that I am using heavier than stock. My shockwave is turned almost to the end. When I called MPI, they told me that I should run the rpm at 10500. I also read in the instructions that I shouldn't run past 9800. But i just couldn't seem to get it to run correctly. So I did what they said to do and, What a ride!!!! Just awesome! Next thing I am going to do is install a BOV. And buy a bigger pulley ratio, so i will be able to control my boost better, hopefully to bring it up to around 14 psi of boost, not sure if this is a good idea, but I am going to try this setup. I read that this motor comes stock with 13.5-1 compression. So my next step is to install the 10.5-1 pistons from MPI. This is an awesome sled, so many options.

apex10

Reaction score
Why would it loose boost? We're you running a boost gauge? What did it read up top?

I'm planning on running 6lbs boost by reversing the 10lb pulleys (24/26 I think). I'm going to run this until I can get a head shim installed. I've just finished the install and hoping to take it out this weekend....am I going to be disappointed?

Hey Shawn, I was disappointed with it my first ride, didn;t have the power and just around 5 psi of boost. It wasn't what I expected. It took some time to figure it out, but after I called MPI and they told me what to do, it was instant fun. My pulleys came with the wrong setup. The bushings for the pulleys were setup so the 24 was the driver and the 27 was the driven. So I put it on that way and nothing. I end up buying the bushings to putthe 27 on the motor and the 24 as the driven to get the boost. I ended up with12 psi of boost andI did run 50/50 race fuel mix. But it was flawless. Just ran great.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi. I did a lot of tinkering with the weights and secondary. The best setup that seems to be working for me right now, I bought some Dalton Pro adjustable weights for the clutch and a shockwave for my secondary. Can't remember the weights I used, but i know that I am using heavier than stock. My shockwave is turned almost to the end. When I called MPI, they told me that I should run the rpm at 10500. I also read in the instructions that I shouldn't run past 9800. But i just couldn't seem to get it to run correctly. So I did what they said to do and, What a ride!!!! Just awesome! Next thing I am going to do is install a BOV. And buy a bigger pulley ratio, so i will be able to control my boost better, hopefully to bring it up to around 14 psi of boost, not sure if this is a good idea, but I am going to try this setup. I read that this motor comes stock with 13.5-1 compression. So my next step is to install the 10.5-1 pistons from MPI. This is an awesome sled, so many options.

Thanks for the tips, I've been looking into Dalton adjustable weights as well as Supertips. I'm going to use the stock weights for now (I've got my baggy full of rivets ready), adjustable weights for next season. How do you like the Dalton set-up? Easy to adjust weight? Can you do it in the field?

I've heard the shock wave can bind, especially when hot so was going to stear clear of it, but it would make tuning much easier.

Sounds like I'm going to go down the same path you've beaten, low boost to higher boost to head shim or pistons!

I think the stock compression is 11.8:1 with 0.017" stock head gasket. Running triple stacked gaskets gets you to 10.3:1 (from the boost calc on Totallyamaha). I'm not sure whether I'll go triple gasket or solid shim.

Either way, your right, there's a lot of options and a lot of potential under the hood!

Top Bottom