Just another rural internet thread, LOL. Explornet?

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Telus Smart Hub, and like everyone else, worked good for a year or two and getting worse and worse, now we have 1 to 2mbps most of the time and none a fair bit.
Wondering if anyone has gone to Explornet's new 50mbps plan? Internet reviews are all terrible for Explornet but my neighbor just went to it from the Smart Hub and they said that so far they've been getting great speeds, like over 50 and close a lot. Anyone else seeing good consistent speeds with Explornet? At this point I would settle for anything consistently over 10, LOL.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ditto south of you Dan, speed is brutal. I called the No-Help line and to quote Telus "We know there is a problem but we have no timeline to fix it". I'm looking at going back to xplornet as well.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Telus Smart Hub, and like everyone else, worked good for a year or two and getting worse and worse, now we have 1 to 2mbps most of the time and none a fair bit.
Wondering if anyone has gone to Explornet's new 50mbps plan? Internet reviews are all terrible for Explornet but my neighbor just went to it from the Smart Hub and they said that so far they've been getting great speeds, like over 50 and close a lot. Anyone else seeing good consistent speeds with Explornet? At this point I would settle for anything consistently over 10, LOL.

If your neighbor's is good go with it, their service is area dependent, if theirs is good yours should be too.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hated explorer net.
Found during peak times it was extremely slow. And would constantly drop out.
Using Alberta Com now. Better the explorer net. Not as good as Wild Rose when we lived in Ministik.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My smart hub has also become almost un usable. Lucky to get 1 or 2 Mbs.

But explornet was also terrible when we previously used them. When it would go down to the point of not working we would be down for a month before a service Tech would come tweet the antenna.

Last edited:

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You get Xplornet flanged up yet Dan? I guess it's network is line of site, I'm screwed with all the trees. Going backward to satellite makes me want to puke...

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my personal experience with Explornet was one of the worst situations of customer service and equipment performance I have ever had.. the worst of any product/service I have yet dealt with, ever, I'm sure it will go down as the worst situation of money going nowhere even too the day I die, never got so mad over dumb sh!t like that before or ever since. This was over 5 years ago and maybe things have improved but I'd never give them a penny of my money again.. My .02. Find another option, even if it's more money. Ended up going with a local ISP using line of sight, that actually worked like they said, think it was called CCI wireless, in central AB

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been on CCI for 6 years now. While not flawless, all issues have been handled quickly and all calls are with people who actually have a handle on the English language. Unlimited data is great. I pay for the "2nd from the top" package with "up to 10 mbps download speeds". I get between 6.5 and 10 most of the time.

Top Bottom