Is it possible to put electric start on an 09 m1000

mason1000

Reaction score
I have two 09 m1000's I picked them up for me an my fiancé. But after one season of starting her sled everytime we stop I am wishing I bought her something with e start. So my question is will an f1000 starter kit fit on my m1000 if not then I will probably sell it off and pick her up something different. And if that is my answer what do the ladies on here suggest?

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have two 09 m1000's I picked them up for me an my fiancé. But after one season of starting her sled everytime we stop I am wishing I bought her something with e start. So my question is will an f1000 starter kit fit on my m1000 if not then I will probably sell it off and pick her up something different. And if that is my answer what do the ladies on here suggest?
Im no expert but if I was a bettin guy I would say it would fit.

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go onto an AC dealers site that has the oem parts search on it (polaris dealers have it, I imagin A/C does to), and look up the part #'s for each model, if they're the same.....giver nuts............................

ALTHOUGH A GOOD OL' LADY WOULD BE STARTING AND WARMING UP BOTH SLEDS...............AFTER THE BREAKFAST DISHES WERE DONE

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont think you can put electric start on a M1000, but I have been wrong before.

mason1000

Reaction score
These sleds are a bitch to start and she is just not strong enough to do it herself. And as for looking up both part numbers there is no part number for a kit for an m1000. But there is an aftermarket cat e start kit for the f1000 so my logic is that they are the same engines there for they should fit? I am also not looking forward to buying a 600 dollar kit that I will not be able to use or return.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cat doesn't offer electric start kits for the M1000 - i believe chassis doesn't allow it. That said, any of the current 800's should fit the bill - my wife has no problem starting her M8.

mason1000

Reaction score
Are the new 1100's e start if I have to buy her a new sled then I guess I will buy a proclimb

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the 1100 are electric start and if it cause of the cold why its to hard to start you could always put a inline block heater in it.

mason1000

Reaction score
A block heater may cure part of my problem but she can't even start it when it's fully warm. She is just a tiny girl and I bought her the m1000 because it was cheap and she liked the colours lol.

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bought a m8 for the wife last year and she could not sart it....ya kind of shitty having to start it every time.

IFSM8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They offer E-start in the M6 but not 8 or 1000. I have heard of shops making the M6 package work on the M8. not sure about the 1000. Its an option to look into.

I also think that there is just not enough room to mount the starter with the larger engine. IMO

Good Luck!

mason1000

Reaction score
I guess I will be starting two sleds twenty times a day again this season,because she does not like the look of the pro limb and I don't want to get a 610 lbs sled in stuck lol

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes this can be done. You need to order the starter, ring gear and starter bracket for an F1000, and then order the battery brackets, battery and electrical for the M6 kit. You will have to change out the exhaust can since the stock one takes up to much room and that's where the battery sits. Not a hard thing to do at all.

mason1000

Reaction score
That's exactly what i was looking for. I already have an slp can on hers I will look into this further now thanks. And on another note have you done this before? And does anyone have a picture of the starter and battery setup on an m6.

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have put electric start on both my wife's and kids M6's. The brackets that hold the battery on the right side hold the starter as well. Then there's a drive cable from the starter that goes down along the backside of the engine. At the end of the drive cable there's a bracket that gets bolted to the bottom of the engine along side the ring gear. Honestly the hardest part about this job is getting the drive clutch off to remove the balancer and bolt on the ring gear. I ended up using the grease trick because I didn't have the proper clutch puller from cat. I'll be changing spark plugs tomorrow on all the machines so I'll grab you some good pic's then so you can see how the brackets get mounted.

mason1000

Reaction score
Thanks for the info and I will call a dealer Monday about this who do you guys suggest? My dealer I in Camrose but they are a farm equipment dealer also and are not the greatest for parts support

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would suggest getting a complete kit for an M6 off ebay. It will come with just about everything you need. The starter is the same apparently for the M6 as it is for the F1000 and you will be able to use the mounting brackets then for the starter and battery. The only parts you would have to source through a dealer would be from the starter down. So the flex shaft, flex shaft bracket or pinion bracket and the ring gear. Should be able to do this for around $600-650.

Top Bottom