Inheritance and Divorce

Superford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First off I would like to say that my wife and I are not having any issues, however, I was curious if I were to recieve an inheritance, is there a way to shelter that money so that the potential ex could not have access to it in the event of a divorce? It's a pretty tough conversation to bring up with your wife and best friend who you have been with for 12 years any way you look at it.:confused:

IMSICK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
backcountryrebels.com
no need to protect it..... Inheritance and lottery winnings are safe.

The interest or if the money is invested or capital gains generated from the money is not safe.

Or.... anything you buy with the money while together is not safe either.

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
no need to protect it..... Inheritance and lottery winnings are safe.

The interest or if the money is invested or capital gains generated from the money is not safe.

Or.... anything you buy with the money while together is not safe either.
You sound like a divorce lawyer.:eek:

Superford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so what would I need to document to ensure that the innitially invested monies are seperate?

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
First off I would like to say that my wife and I are not having any issues, however, I was curious if I were to recieve an inheritance, is there a way to shelter that money so that the potential ex could not have access to it in the event of a divorce? It's a pretty tough conversation to bring up with your wife and best friend who you have been with for 12 years any way you look at it.:confused:

...If U & your wife are not having any issues..... My call would be to discuss it FIRST with her ! Cuz going behind her back may just start some issues ! :eek:
.... Just MY opinion ! :beer:

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
...If U & your wife are not having any issues..... My call would be to discuss it FIRST with her ! Cuz going behind her back may just start some issues ! :eek:
.... Just MY opinion ! :beer:

I agree with U.P.

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First off I would like to say that my wife and I are not having any issues,

;;;If this is true then why are you even entertaining the thought or starting this thread? I think your not telling us everything:nono:. If I got an inheritance I would love to share it with my wife and family:d.

Superford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First off I would like to say that my wife and I are not having any issues,

;;;If this is true then why are you even entertaining the thought or starting this thread? I think your not telling us everything:nono:. If I got an inheritance I would love to share it with my wife and family:d.

If you really must know, I have had 2 very good friends go through divorce and in both cases the men lost thier shirts. If you were in my shoes I would hope that you would have the forsight to plan for your future like I am. :realmad:

Superford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Wow, the real winners are coming out of the woodwork here. Take the time to educate yourself before you spout off in a public forum commenting on another members family life. Had you taken some time to find out more about me before typing away you would have found out that I am a proud new dad to my 3 week old son, if anything our son has brought us closer together than we have ever been, heaven forbid something were to go sideways with me and my wife, my only thought would be how to best be able to suport my son. That is the reason I started this post. Take your uneducated opinions elsewhere!!!!:realmad::realmad:

IMSICK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
backcountryrebels.com
You sound like a divorce lawyer.:eek:
or sounds like I went through this chit for way to long and pay way to much in the end..... Like snotty said, 6k a month is a lesson on why I should have never got married.

I could have got alot of hookers for 6k a month and they leave when times up...... And pigs like to eat em!!!

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone has their own way of doing things......e.g. you asked on sledding forum about this specific Law question.
#1 I believe your question should be presented to a Proffessional
#2 You asked and everyone gave their opinion, the best they could.
#3 If your trying to keep your plan on the Low Down...this might not be the Best place to ask
#4 Good Luck, but dont trash the opinion of a someone you ask a question to.

IMSICK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
backcountryrebels.com
super.... As stated before, talk to a lawyer. Best thing you can do, especially if it is substancial amount. Problems or not, you never know down the road. I never thought I'd be there either, but I am.

There will be documents declaring the inheritance amount and never hurts to get them noterized..... I've learned my lesson the hard way. Keep it in your pants and always check to make sure it's not her sister when you get home drunk.

Who am I kidding..... I would have taken a run at her mom too!!!

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
Wow, the real winners are coming out of the woodwork here. Take the time to educate yourself before you spout off in a public forum commenting on another members family life. Had you taken some time to find out more about me before typing away you would have found out that I am a proud new dad to my 3 week old son, if anything our son has brought us closer together than we have ever been, heaven forbid something were to go sideways with me and my wife, my only thought would be how to best be able to suport my son. That is the reason I started this post. Take your uneducated opinions elsewhere!!!!:realmad::realmad:
You obviously look at marriage differently than alot of us do. Money is not the end all be all. If your marriage goes sideways, then you both are to blame. You asked the question.:confused:

Superford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You obviously look at marriage differently than alot of us do. Money is not the end all be all. If your marriage goes sideways, then you both are to blame. You asked the question.:confused:

I asked a very specific question and some members were very helpful while others started reading into something that is not there. That is why I got my back up. Had you and others simply focused on the question instead of trying to start s**t I wouldn't have had to waste my time defending myself. Thanks anyway. Oh ya ...have a great weekend

Top Bottom