In the wake of the recent trajedies,

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read an article on Global news that interviewed a representative from Avalanche Canada.

He says that snowmobilers far outnumber any other backcountry activity in B.C. I'm thinking 10 fold.

However, he also states that annualy only 10% of the 7000-8000 taking an avalanche skills course are sledders.

This number seems shockingly low, considering that pretty much everyone in my group and 80% of the people I know who sled has taken at least the AST1.

The other 90% are backcountry skiers? The numbers don't jive.

Maybe Avalanche Canada could chime in on this.

2 Alberta men killed in avalanche near Blue River, BC | Globalnews.ca

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess the discussion is about winter activities.
Hiking, mountaineering, ice climbing, snowshoeing, skiing and snowboarding as well as sledding make up 99% of avy fatalities in north america.

Most sledders want to be safe, have fun and get out there. So basic training is all most get. There are many more in depth courses one can take but most are for those wanting to get into guiding. Most of the content of these courses are focused on skiing. This will distort the numbers.
Its only in recent times avy courses have been targeting sledders and mostly its about decisssions and avoiding the avy to begin with. I, ve had friends tell me they could have run the course it was that dumbed down. This doesnt encourage people to take another course.
My sasky friend said he has learnt far more from me than from the 2 courses he did.
People want to learn facts not be lectured about decission making.

Point is my skier friends have done far more courses than any sledder I know ...

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
My main group of riders it 100% AST 1.
My secondary group is 50%. I've informed the others that we will not ride with them next year without AST 1. They sort of shrug it off like I'm joking but I'm not. AST 1 or no riding with them.
We are also pushing anyone who "joins in" on a ride to have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
However, he also states that annualy only 10% of the 7000-8000 taking an avalanche skills course are sledders.

I think reporters should have to give the source of their information, seems they pull "facts" out of their a$$ sometimes.

Reaction score

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Myself I would like to see when you buy a sled it become mandatory that you have to take an ast 1 course see way to many people out there that need it.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Myself I would like to see when you buy a sled it become mandatory that you have to take an ast 1 course see way to many people out there that need it.
I'm not sure it would change much, I often see people that have no business being in the backcountry at all

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you "force" a grown up to sit through a course he is not interested in, how much do you think he will retain.
This has nothing to do about more legislation!
Sledbunny has the right idea.
If you can't save my ass or you are going to cause me trouble, you don't ride with me!

Last edited:

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the thing to remember is that ast 1 is a entry level course. It gives you the basic understanding of hazardous terrain and how to do perform a single burial rescue. This is great but most sledders need more than this. A ast2 starts to put the entire picture together of navigating avalanche terrain and understanding the snow pack that overlies it. Ast2 goes farther in depth on rescue for multiple burials, marking/flagging function and scene control. Please don't stop at a ast 1 or get a recertification of it as this is a continuous learning process. My 2 cents.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My secondary group is 50%. I've informed the others that we will not ride with them next year without AST 1. They sort of shrug it off like I'm joking but I'm not. AST 1 or no riding with them.

Good on you. I'd like to ask those that don't have any formal AST training. Why they don't have it? Is it cost? Location? Time? What is their reason for not taking training. No judgement, but maybe it will help providers learn how they can reach out to more sledders and where they can improve their course offereings. Maybe I should start a thread... What do you think? Will knowing why people aren't taking the courses help?

AGGRESIVEZEBRA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder why is it that no company gives a spring sales deal or snow check deal where you get a voucher for a free ast1 course. I know in the grand scheme of things people that dont want it wont go but maybe being free might be that little bit to push someone over the edge to take it.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I confirmed that the number of Sledders talking the AST1 course is what was stated earlier in this thread. Now how many Sledders out there have the AST1 that is over 3 years old? Just like most workplace safety courses you have to retake them every so many years. I would also like to point out that the 2 - 3hr course that you took at the dealer is only an awareness seminar, and is only an introduction to Avalanche awareness and safety. There is still several courses open, check them out.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Good on you. I'd like to ask those that don't have any formal AST training. Why they don't have it? Is it cost? Location? Time? What is their reason for not taking training. No judgement, but maybe it will help providers learn how they can reach out to more sledders and where they can improve their course offereings. Maybe I should start a thread... What do you think? Will knowing why people aren't taking the courses help?

Mostly I get
Time = often means lazy
Cost = often means cheap as they have sleds.
It's that many aren't convinced they need it. Sort of like seatbelt in the beginning (and still some today), even though the facts showed you reduced your chance of injury or death people didn't listen/care.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I confirmed that the number of Sledders talking the AST1 course is what was stated earlier in this thread. Now how many Sledders out there have the AST1 that is over 3 years old? Just like most workplace safety courses you have to retake them every so many years. I would also like to point out that the 2 - 3hr course that you took at the dealer is only an awareness seminar, and is only an introduction to Avalanche awareness and safety. There is still several courses open, check them out.

Certain ast one providers give tips on refreshing skills such as mock beacon searches every second trip of other recommendations how many people take this advice?

Last edited:

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I think the snowmobile dealers should be at the minimum including a AST 1 coarse.
I personally think people should be taking AST 2...
If they keep losing customers to avalanches or our sledding areas shut down because of fatalities they will not be making money on sleds.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Atta boy - no training give them a slap of reality.
Nothing gets group participaction like peer presure!

Pantherscry

Reaction score
I wonder why is it that no company gives a spring sales deal or snow check deal where you get a voucher for a free ast1 course. I know in the grand scheme of things people that dont want it wont go but maybe being free might be that little bit to push someone over the edge to take it.

Not a half bad idea, if those who provide the training could connect with the dealers. A lot of them get sponsorships from dealers anyway. And for those who have already taken their AST 1 good excuse to get a refresher course.

Top Bottom