How do I become as cool as some albertans?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anything cooked over charcoal, real stuff not the pressed cubes, is good.

A lot of time I use a few pressed briquets to keep my wood chips smoldering, temp stays right around 250 and it puts a wicked smoke ring on tenderloin or sausages. usually takes 3-4 hrs but man its good. The bacon I used had a little too much fat and wanted to drip and ignite, had to keep a close eye on it and hit it with the water bottle every now and then, was thinking of doing some bacon wrapped scallops this way on the weekend.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried a pellet BBQ? herd lots but never tried one.:beer:

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Instead of water try to douse with beer...gives an added flavor...plus you can drink what you don't use.

A lot of time I use a few pressed briquets to keep my wood chips smoldering, temp stays right around 250 and it puts a wicked smoke ring on tenderloin or sausages. usually takes 3-4 hrs but man its good. The bacon I used had a little too much fat and wanted to drip and ignite, had to keep a close eye on it and hit it with the water bottle every now and then, was thinking of doing some bacon wrapped scallops this way on the weekend.

bgraff1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love being from alberta and love coming to BC. I don't have any of the above mentioned pre requisites for being the stereotypical albertan so i guess i will have to work on that. I do have a great job as an environmental consultant in the oil patch and as long as there are stupid "old school" people running rigs, i will always have a job even if the patch dries up!! Here's a good one for ya BC peeps and yes he does have big white sunglasses. As soon as i see this truck again i will take a pic of the custom flared out front end.

haha i know him....

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My pops spoiled us with an ultra badass Q and since then we have been doing most everything on it. Best food to date, BBQ turkey.

Took many hours, and a guy's gotta keep a spare propane bottle on hand but holy damn. So tasty and moist. Would reccomend.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as far as the comments about the economy in Nelson, I am very thankful to be employed in such a thriving community. It seems like a variety of valid industries are fueling our economy over here. There is a wonderful circulation of monies from Teck Cominco, Tourism (all seasons), the mills are hiring again, and many people who choose to live in Nelson having satellite offices while the head offices may be in Vancouver or Toronto. Our dealership is unbelievably busy, something we are thankful for. The film industry is still active, and the investment into infastructure is creating more and more jobs.
I recently had a great conversation with a friend of mine who Manages the operations in a large chain of grocery stores. He has his family in Nelson now. It is the same crazy flurry of activity at their store as it is in ours. Totally different industries, but people doing well and sharing the prosperity.
I have nothing bad to say about Alberta, I was born and raised there. I love BC, and all the beauty and fun wholesome activities we share as a family. Sometimes I look at the Alberta bucks that come through and wonder what kind of life we'd have if we worked over there and made mucho grande bucks, but then I look at our life, gathering eggs, making jams, picking our produce from the garden or fruit trees, and give thanks for what we have. It's not fancy, but it's a good life. I think that may be the key. No province is better than the other, just be thankful for what you have.

K STFU about it already K..

Momma :)

Thunder101

Reaction score
Having been born in BC (lower mainland/island ) and spent half my life in BC and now half in Alberta,here are a few observations......
When i left BC (1983ish) it was with mixed emotions,but with years of NDP goverments and labour troubles i felt more options were avaible in Alberta.
Funny thing is ,imo Alberta is now what BC was when i left........A great place but change was coming. Now when i go back to BC(often) it is not the same. I go back now and for the most part am greeted by wingnut tree huggers,wine makers,herb farms and the ever popular grow opps............... THIS IS NOT A KNOCK ON BC !! Just some things have changed more than i like,for me......Alberta is heading down this road but we are a long way behind,thank goodness...

Alberta,has been very good to me,but has it`s drawbacks......lol. In rural Alberta the people are not as friendly as BC,and the all though we have been here 25 years apx. ,we are still the newcomers..........lol. Gotta be born here, i guess.........As for freedom ,making a good living and being proud of an honest days work Alberta is tough to beat. Let`s face it the people who dont want to work ,don`t live in cold Alberta ,they move to BC. That`s just the way it is........lol.

Alberta is tough to beat.If we are called Rednecks or whatever,so be it i love to work hard and play hard. lived that way in BC too....
Are there things i miss about BC,yes. Are there things i don`t miss (rain) , yes............They both are wonderful places to live with many pros and cons. Being a little older than most on here, i would live in Alberta and travel to BC ,is the advice i give our kids....lol

We have many friends / relatives in vancouver, the Island and the OK. and they all say " my house is worth a million" and i say all that means is unless you sell it and move where housing is cheaper ,all that means is you have a HUGE mortgage !!!You make about the same or less money than here,but your payments are twice as much.............GREAT.
I have a "friend" who was an electrition in salmon arm,when the economy went south he lost his house. I told him to come out to Alberta and work here part time, he told me he would rather lose his house than work out here..........!!!

Both provinces are great places to live,one of the best places on earth !!! One is not better than the other,just suttle differences in the way we live our lives..................

Yes we have to go to work ! and like marrage you make the best of it, if its in you to do so. Sometimes you have to pick up and move for work if you want to get ahead or just pay the bills. I read ssooo much stuff on here about Alberta this and that. Well I used to live with a coulpe of BC guys when I was in Alberta (1988-89) and they were good guys but if they started taking about gods country oh boy it would make you sick. If you live in "gods country" (everyone has their oun version where that is) If you can afford to live there work there then good for you, but if your in my back yard telling me how great your place is I will tell to go F ing home then !! who wants to hear it !! and why are you not there!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where to get real charcoal? I'm only aware of the cubes in a bag

Most BBQ stores will carry it (not Home Desperate - REAL BBQ stores) - I'm assuming he is talking about "lump" charcoal. Its more $$ than briquettes, but gives more flavour since it has no fillers (sawdust, glue etc). I buy it here at BBQ's Galore in Calgary, I'm a Maple Leaf Brand fand but have heard good things about the Dragon's Breath Brand as well. Read up on it a little before you use it, it burns a little faster than the briquettes so you gotta watch your heat control etc as it is a little more responsive to oxygen.

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
now there's someone doing some thinking......mmmmmmmmm it would be sweeeeet! Especially those great big sea scallops from Costco!

Those are the best ! They were on sale the other day and cook well on the Barby!

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as far as the comments about the economy in Nelson, I am very thankful to be employed in such a thriving community. It seems like a variety of valid industries are fueling our economy over here. There is a wonderful circulation of monies from Teck Cominco, Tourism (all seasons), the mills are hiring again, and many people who choose to live in Nelson having satellite offices while the head offices may be in Vancouver or Toronto. Our dealership is unbelievably busy, something we are thankful for. The film industry is still active, and the investment into infastructure is creating more and more jobs.
I recently had a great conversation with a friend of mine who Manages the operations in a large chain of grocery stores. He has his family in Nelson now. It is the same crazy flurry of activity at their store as it is in ours. Totally different industries, but people doing well and sharing the prosperity.
I have nothing bad to say about Alberta, I was born and raised there. I love BC, and all the beauty and fun wholesome activities we share as a family. Sometimes I look at the Alberta bucks that come through and wonder what kind of life we'd have if we worked over there and made mucho grande bucks, but then I look at our life, gathering eggs, making jams, picking our produce from the garden or fruit trees, and give thanks for what we have. It's not fancy, but it's a good life. I think that may be the key. No province is better than the other, just be thankful for what you have.

K STFU about it already K..

Momma :)
Thanks Momma I agree all provinces are rich in their own way.You choose everybodies life style is diffrent.

ldog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Modman , try beef bacon. Awesome stuff. A lot leaner but with a taste like pork. Will not drip all over and ignite.........

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes we have to go to work ! and like marrage you make the best of it, if its in you to do so. Sometimes you have to pick up and move for work if you want to get ahead or just pay the bills. I read ssooo much stuff on here about Alberta this and that. Well I used to live with a coulpe of BC guys when I was in Alberta (1988-89) and they were good guys but if they started taking about gods country oh boy it would make you sick. If you live in "gods country" (everyone has their oun version where that is) If you can afford to live there work there then good for you, but if your in my back yard telling me how great your place is I will tell to go F ing home then !! who wants to hear it !! and why are you not there!

Good point. One thing I can't stand is all these guys from the Eastern provinces working here sporting all their "The Rock" stickers, flags, shirts and telling us how much better their homeland is. Disrespectful for sure. And if it's that great , go make a living there. It's almost like flying a U.S. flag on your Canadian front yard. Imagine if we went down east flying all our BC, AB, SK flags and stickers all over everything we had. Sorry, rant over, reading this thread reminded me of those clowns.

Anywhere you live is fine as long as you're happy, just be respectful and appreciate what you have and where you are.

Back to the BBQ talk!

Top Bottom